Canadian Premier League

ted

5 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

The Hamilton United people (now accept that there is very strong evidence this will be the name) want a D1 rival to MLS and can live with severely restricted Canadian content at the outset to make sure their league is clearly better than the USL and NASL and can give TFC  run for their money in Voyageurs Cup terms.

I don't care what name they pick; with their yellow/black colour scheme, they'll always be the Hamilton Hufflepuffs in my heart.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, -Hammer- said:

The intention of the CPL is to be like the Welsh league. Yes, it is overshadowed by the EPL and yes most of it's top teams play in the EPL. However the Welsh league develops Welsh players for their completely respectable national team and a sustainable finacial enterprise. It's also to raise the profile of the game across the nation, something which MLS doesn't want to do as it has outright said it doesn't want to award any more Canadian franchises.

I don't think the league's intention is to be like the Welsh league considering that league probably averages around the current CSL. The only similarity between us Wales is that there's another league already operating here. That's about it. There's also the quality gap. The gap between the Prem and the Welsh league is astronomical. For the potential CPL and MLS? Not so much.

1 hour ago, Gopherbashi said:

"Participation in the Voyageurs Cup will now be extended to non-farm USL teams"

I don't know; I really question opening it up prior to the CPL starting.  Might as well just do it all in one shot.

Why put it off another year? I'm not sure why we've been waiting this long to be honest. I really hope the Voyageurs Cup in 2017 involves teams from L1O and/or PLSQ.

2 hours ago, lazlo_80 said:

Klinsmann to be hired as coach of Hamilton.

The last time Hamilton had a pro team (that was worth taking seriously unlike the Thunder) in the shape of the Steelers, they had a legendary former Leeds United and Juventus centre forward called John Charles as their coach initially, so even if you were not joking with that things like that have happened before.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Charles

1 hour ago, Kent said:

Why put it off another year? I'm not sure why we've been waiting this long to be honest. I really hope the Voyageurs Cup in 2017 involves teams from L1O and/or PLSQ.

Something about the numbers just feels wrong - it's tough to mentally justify having an MLS team see such a high probability of facing a D3-quality team in the first round.  The quality gulf just seems too high atm, and you'd probably just see MLS B-teams taking the pitch - not exactly what the CSA wants to promote.  Not quite sure how they'd run this either:

6 teams - 3 MLS, FCE, OFFC, CSMRO.  You could either have a 3rd vs 6th and 4th vs 5th - giving you VWFC vs CSMRO in the first round, or you'd have a 3-team round-robin between FCE, OFFC, and CSMRO to produce one team to join the MLS sides in the final four.

7 teams - 3 MLS, FCE, OFFC, CSMRO, VSC.  4th vs 7th and 5th vs 6th would at least prevent your MLS sides from being assured of a D3 matchup off the bat, but then you'd need another round between your (presumably) 4th and 5th teams to give you a final four.

8 teams - 3 MLS, FCE, OFFC, CSMRO, VSC, FCL (as L1O conference champions).  Standard 8-team tournament, but the amount of D1-D3 matchups is even worse.

(If you really want to have fun, remove FCL and sub in Edmonton Scottish as the Challenge Trophy winners).

Admittedly, now that I've gone through the options, I'm not as opposed as before, but I still think there needs to be a preliminary round to weed out your D3 sides before they go straight to playing MLS squads.

On Two Solitudes yesterday he guessed (pre CPL) that they might take the Canadian amateur champ, who would play against the winner of the L1O and the Quebec equivalent in the first round.  Winner of that would go on, can't remember the set up from there.  Maybe top two MLS get bye and the other four match up.

1 hour ago, Macksam said:

I don't think the league's intention is to be like the Welsh league considering that league probably averages around the current CSL. The only similarity between us Wales is that there's another league already operating here. That's about it. There's also the quality gap. The gap between the Prem and the Welsh league is astronomical. For the potential CPL and MLS? Not so much.

CPL should be superior to MLS a few seasons after launching once TFC/IMFC/VWFC join. MLS isn't half as good as the Welsh league. CPL should be completely independent of MLS or anything part of the US pyramid and instead run a decent quality, competitive league committed to developing Canadian players and make Canada visible in the world of soccer. The US with MLS is sinking faster than the Titanic and Canada doesn't need to be part of it.

I remember at the intermission of one of the legs of the Ottawa Fury-FC Edmonton VC series this Spring they were interviewing Peter Montopoli and he said they were planning to expand the Voyageurs Cup to tier III clubs in "2018 or 2019" if I remember correctly. I assume this means the year of or the after the CPL's launch. That was back in May though, so it's very possible the plan has since changed.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

Probably because the math doesn't work very well with the current set of clubs. The round where the five pro teams enter would be awkward because it would screw over five of the semi-pro teams who advanced, while the six others just get to play each other. It would be a lot more reasonable if we had, say, 16 pro clubs because then they could enter in the round of 32 and every semi-pro team that advanced from the previous round would match up against a pro team. Obviously in reality it probably won't be as clean as that (not to mention we aren't going to have that many new pro clubs for a while) but it would be better than the set-up we'd need to use now, at least by virtue of being in an earlier round.

It's possible that Ottawa moving down to what is technically tier III may have changed their minds regarding when they'll expand qualification for the VC though, but who knows.

31 minutes ago, Mister215Guy said:

CPL should be superior to MLS a few seasons after launching once TFC/IMFC/VWFC join. MLS isn't half as good as the Welsh league. CPL should be completely independent of MLS or anything part of the US pyramid and instead run a decent quality, competitive league committed to developing Canadian players and make Canada visible in the world of soccer. The US with MLS is sinking faster than the Titanic and Canada doesn't need to be part of it.

LOL

1 hour ago, Mister215Guy said:

So, where exactly do you stand on the current quality of American footy?  It isn't entirely clear.

2 hours ago, Mister215Guy said:

I wouldn't say MLS is sinking. However, it's definitely a ship that's anchored and going nowhere significant anytime soon.

For me, I don't really care if L1O/PLSQ teams get smashed by MLS teams in the early rounds. It will push them to get better and not lose as bad the next year. As for how it would work, I am OK with the ranking based possibilities, but I think I would prefer a full on draw. So you could possibly have TFC vs Impact in the first round, and you could potentially have a team make it to the final only playing D3 teams. I would prefer that rather than seeding teams. An open draw evens the playing field for the little guys, and I think it would be exciting to see a little guy make a deep run, even if the wins are coming against other little guys. Plus, as was mentioned, MLS teams would likely use B teams against D3 teams. Is nobody else curious to exactly how much better MLS squad players are? Playing these games can also raise exposure for players and teams as a whole. If a draw is used and it goes to single knockout format it would give the chance to either have a D3 team play in a big stadium in front of more fans than they ever have, or even better yet, imagine Whitecaps going to London, KW, or Varsity stadium in Toronto and bringing out new fans to see their local team.

I absolutely can't wait for the Voyageurs Cup to be expanded. Numbers, shmumbers.

56 minutes ago, Macksam said:

I wouldn't say MLS is sinking. However, it's definitely a ship that's anchored and going nowhere significant anytime soon.

The quality is definitely sinking. Also, leagues that started later than MLS are surpassing it left and right. CPL should have nothing to do with it from the launching date.

2 hours ago, Mister215Guy said:

The quality is definitely sinking. Also, leagues that started later than MLS are surpassing it left and right. CPL should have nothing to do with it from the launching date.

But neither A-league or csl has passed it yet

4 hours ago, Mister215Guy said:

The quality is definitely sinking. Also, leagues that started later than MLS are surpassing it left and right.

OK, I'll try to be polite... can you please list ANY league that has started since 1996 that could be said to have "surpassed" MLS.

2 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

Take it or leave it.

Uhm, I really love your enthusiasm and talent, but could I ask that you not violate trademark and copyright laws. All you need is a disclaimer at the beginning saying something like, "The following is fan-made and does not speak for any entity or artist featured."

I would hate to even run the slightest, over-sensitive risk of poisoning our relationship with the CPL (or the band) so early on in the process. :)

Archived