Canadian Premier League

ted

13 hours ago, Macksam said:

I wouldn't say MLS is sinking. However, it's definitely a ship that's anchored and going nowhere significant anytime soon.

I tend to agree if they keep going after guys like Lampard and Pirlo past their prime. My French uncle used to laugh at MLS because when we were talking Thierry Henry, he said while LOL "He's paid to be on vacation".

• DP: If CPL is serious at being different than MLS, DP should be from the Southern Hemisphere and at their prime like Piatti. Not dragging the tag of being a retirement league will give it a bit more creativity. If a team wants to throw money at a player like Giovinco, then good but no Lampard or Gerrard please. Go after guys like Oscar who's considering Chinese Super League.
  • All Star Game: How bad of an idea is that??? When MLS All-Star wins it really doesn't mean much as the teams they are facing are in pre-season mode, while when MLS loses, they don't seem to realize how bad of a perception it projects to have 1 club beat the entire league elite's.
  • Perception: My theory on MLS negative perception in comparison to other leagues like Australia, Scottish or Wales is for 1 reason. MLS are advertising something that they're not, a world top league. That's why I think they are being laughed at while other leagues like Scotland, Wales or Australia or any Scandinavian leagues aren't pretending to be something they aren't. I'm expecting CPL to be Division 1 without trying to pretend something they aren't. Just focus on improving and respect will come over time.
  • Yankee Stadium: Need I say more? 

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if Totera's impending announcement will be somehow related to him getting a job within CPL or one of it's teams. The only reason I'm thinking that is because Rollins seems to know the news too, and he is stepping aside for Totera to announce. If they both know the news, and they know approximately when they will announce it, why are they waiting and why is Rollins deferring to Totera?

As for what that position could be for Totera, I have no idea. And hopefully along with that there is more to it, whether that's other staffing news or news that comes along with or is implied with the staffing news. Like, completely hypothetically, if Anthony Totera was announced to be the director of Canadian Soccer Marketing (like SUM) which is a partner with the CPL, then the extra news would be that, hey look, we have our own version of SUM now.

5 minutes ago, Kent said:

I wonder if Totera's impending announcement will be somehow related to him getting a job within CPL or one of it's teams. The only reason I'm thinking that is because Rollins seems to know the news too, and he is stepping aside for Totera to announce. If they both know the news, and they know approximately when they will announce it, why are they waiting and why is Rollins deferring to Totera?

As for what that position could be for Totera, I have no idea. And hopefully along with that there is more to it, whether that's other staffing news or news that comes along with or is implied with the staffing news. Like, completely hypothetically, if Anthony Totera was announced to be the director of Canadian Soccer Marketing (like SUM) which is a partner with the CPL, then the extra news would be that, hey look, we have our own version of SUM now.

Nothing against Totera, but they better have a business and marketing savvy person in charge of CSM. Does he have any significant business background?

16 hours ago, Mister215Guy said:

CPL should be superior to MLS a few seasons after launching once TFC/IMFC/VWFC join. MLS isn't half as good as the Welsh league. CPL should be completely independent of MLS or anything part of the US pyramid and instead run a decent quality, competitive league committed to developing Canadian players and make Canada visible in the world of soccer. The US with MLS is sinking faster than the Titanic and Canada doesn't need to be part of it.

The Welsh Premier League only has one fully professional team.

7 minutes ago, Kent said:

I wonder if Totera's impending announcement will be somehow related to him getting a job within CPL or one of it's teams...

Whatever it is, he has got people talking about himself as if he is somebody that actually matters and that's probably his main goal in all of this. As far as I'm aware his last actual involvement of any note in pro soccer was with the North York Rockets and they folded over 20 years ago. Hopefully, we won't have to wait long until Paul Beirne becomes the main focus of attention instead given he is an actual paid employee of the Ticats.

22 minutes ago, Kent said:

From what I think Rollins said, Totera told him what he knew and he wasn't going to spoil it was the impression I got

If I could add one thing (actually two things) that I'd like to see in the CPL that I don't think has been addressed before, it would be to have the players come out of "the tunnel" to the same song that's played in every stadium. Something like A Tribe Called Red's Stadium Pow Wow in the CPL in the CPL Logo thread. A type of signature song for the league. But, no national anthem with the exception of games on or near July 1st and Nov 11th. The first thought above would help to market the league (in stadium, on TV, radio, etc). The second is just something that would move us past the World Wars.

5 minutes ago, Ansem said:

No MLS clubs could compete in Europa or EUFA Champions league. Russian top teams can to some extent.

I think you might see someone reach knockout but yea rsl is better at the top but lower teams are likely weaker. Still calling rsl younger is bullshit because is isn't.

Archived