Canadian Premier League

ted

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

So.  whats the plan for the league launch?  I mean like if it does happen - what do we make sure it starts off with a bang?

The Inebriatti are going to BMO with a controversial sign and get banned forever by MLS on purpose

Looking over different CONCACAF national teams and what clubs their players play at. The CPL could definitely be full of internationals from the stronger CONCACAF nations. Aside from the possibility of this making the league looking good on the field, it makes the need for a Canada hosted Gold Cup all the more real.

7 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

Glitch

10 minutes ago, matty said:

Looking over different CONCACAF national teams and what clubs their players play at. The CPL could definitely be full of internationals from the stronger CONCACAF nations. Aside from the possibility of this making the league looking good on the field, it makes the need for a Canada hosted Gold Cup all the more real.

How do you mean? For cheap scouting for the young league? Or as a marketing avenue? 

8 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

How do you mean? For cheap scouting for the young league? 

was thinking of positive impact having players getting called up to a national team and playing in a major tournament in the city their club is based would have on both local interest in the club and impressionable youth who might be interested in perusing soccer (like a second and smaller wwc but still effective) but the scouting would be rockin too

12 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

Steve Milton, unless he's going to be added to your list of untrustworthy reporters, reported on TSN 1150 that CPL has been sanctioned by FIFA, which if I understand the delegation of duties within FIFA, means that the CSA has sanctioned CPL ahead of its launch

Where is the sanctioning announcement from the CSA then? It's reasonable to say that the CPL has CSA and hence FIFA backing as they green lighted work on a business plan earlier this year, but there has been no formal announcment of sanctioning that I am aware of. I followed what happened when the original CSL was formed and the failed attempt that was made to get the CUSL going, and that's the obvious next step on the road at this point. The CSA have actually been very quiet on this subject since the Daily Telegraph article in September in terms of attributed quotes and the reason why Ottawa would see a need to use USL as a stepping stone, if CPL is really just one extra year away is still not clear. Beyond that, I am not sure who the untrustworthy reporters would be given Totera and Rollins are podcasters with no mainstream media affiliations that I am aware of.

I'm not sure why you're worked up about a sanctioning announcement for a league that:

1) Montagliani's been confirming for most of this year, and

2) Doesn't, as you like to point out, actually exist.

There's no reason to announce sanctioning until they actually announce the league, and I see no reason why they wouldn't just to both simultaneously.

I'm not worked about this in the least. I responded to posts about the lack of a big announcement after Anthony Totera was said to have led people to expect one by the middle of the week, by pointing out that some time after Dec 4th is more likely for that sort of thing because that's when the next CSA meeting is when we already know some key formal decisions will be made such as the Ottawa Fury's USL sanctioning.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

I'm not worked about this in the least. I responded to posts about the lack of a big announcement after Anthony Totera was said to have led people to expect one by the middle of the week, by pointing out that some time after Dec 4th is more likely for that sort of thing because that's when the next CSA meeting is when we already know some key formal decisions will be made such as the Ottawa Fury's USL sanctioning.

Maybe some people were assuming a proper "The league is happening and the first kick off is April 21st between Winnipeg The Pooh's and Hertha Kitchener", but personally I was expecting another intermediate announcement, along the lines of the Paul Beirne hiring, but possibly bigger (since the line was "trickle of news could become a flood in a short while").

25 minutes ago, Kent said:

Maybe some people were assuming a proper "The league is happening and the first kick off is April 21st between Winnipeg The Pooh's and Hertha Kitchener", but personally I was expecting another intermediate announcement, along the lines of the Paul Beirne hiring, but possibly bigger (since the line was "trickle of news could become a flood in a short while").

The way Rollins was talking about it, I was expecting some sort of leak regarding "C-SUM." He was saying on Two Solitudes something along the lines of "Canadian soccer is going to be undergoing some big changes, and CPL is the cherry on top."

V-Cup going "open" is part of that, but a restructuring of the CSA in relation to C-SUM would fit the bill, I think

36 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

The way Rollins was talking about it, I was expecting some sort of leak regarding "C-SUM." He was saying on Two Solitudes something along the lines of "Canadian soccer is going to be undergoing some big changes, and CPL is the cherry on top."

V-Cup going "open" is part of that, but a restructuring of the CSA in relation to C-SUM would fit the bill, I think

what's C-SUM?

SUM is a marketing company linked to MLS in ownership terms that runs tournaments and handles television rights for soccer in the United States. It helps MLS a lot financially to an extent that is kept secret by the MLS owners. A lot of what drives SUM financially is finding ways of tapping into support for top Mexican clubs and the Mexican national team in the United States, so I am not sure how easy it is to replicate that in a Canadian context.

7 minutes ago, Ansem said:

what's C-SUM?

The placeholder word for the marketing wing of CPL/CSA

Rollins has said that the league and CSA is working on more or less copying the SUM model from MLS/USSF. While I don't know that much about SUM, my understanding is that money from MLS merchandising, TV deals, national games, etc is all funnelled into SUM and divided amongst the various MLS stakeholders and USSF. As far as I know, the inner workings isn't very public.

This is partially done for tax reasons (MLS itself appears to hemorrhage money every year but SUM makes a decent chunk), but it also allows MLS and USSF to operate within arms reach of each other. The other reason, I think, is to ensure that MLS in the early days didn't have franchise owners using "creative accounting" to hide money that should have gone in the central pot. If all that money goes directly to SUM, it's harder to hide. Not a problem you'd hope to have with CPL, but worth protecting against 

2 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

While I don't know that much about SUM, my understanding is that money from MLS merchandising, TV deals, national games, etc

I thought the key moneymaker was World Cup TV rights in the US market?

http://the11.ca/time-for-canadian-soccer-supporters-to-be-optimistic/

Former Toronto FC and Brighton and Hove Albion exec Paul Beirne (and my former neighbour) is currently moving around the country drumming up support for the planned-for-2018 Canadian Premier League.

Steve Sandor makes it sound like there is still work to do in getting a league together. I suspect there will be a sanctioning announcement from the CSA next month conditional on certain criteria being met and that whether this then gets anywhere thereafter will depend on how stringent those criteria are. 

10 minutes ago, ted said:

I thought the key moneymaker was World Cup TV rights in the US market?

It has been very important in the past but I don't think they hold the rights to 2018 and 2022 as Fox and Telemundo bought them directly from FIFA. The rights for those finals went directly to TSN in a Canadian context so there's nothing for a "C-SUM" to do in that context.

6 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Ugh, the negative spin is just, constant!

The choice of words, " drumming up support " doesn't help, though. Sometimes the league seems like it is about to happen, sometimes it seems not quite there.

2 minutes ago, ray said:

The choice of words, " drumming up support " doesn't help, though. Sometimes the league seems like it is about to happen, sometimes it seems not quite there.

They were putting a business plan together over the summer. Normally you would look for investors to make a serious commitment only after that is in place, so think people on here having been getting ahead of where the process was actually at.

Archived