Canadian Premier League

ted

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

http://the11.ca/time-for-canadian-soccer-supporters-to-be-optimistic/

Former Toronto FC and Brighton and Hove Albion exec Paul Beirne (and my former neighbour) is currently moving around the country drumming up support for the planned-for-2018 Canadian Premier League.

Steve Sandor makes it sound like there is still work to do in getting a league together. I suspect there will be a sanctioning announcement from the CSA next month conditional on certain criteria being met and that whether this then gets anywhere thereafter will depend on how stringent those criteria are. 

It's OBVIOUS that Sandor doesn't know any more than us on what Beirne is up to. It's CLEAR he just happened to phrase the news of his hire in this manner.

15 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

Yeah, "upcoming announcement dates" should pretty much just be a running joke here, IMO.

All the great end of the world cults go on and on because it is NEVER a solid date. It is always sometime in the near future that could be tomorrow or a millennium away. DR needs to be a better Canadian League Cultist and stop with the hard dates.

1 hour ago, TRM said:

All the great end of the world cults go on and on because it is NEVER a solid date. It is always sometime in the near future that could be tomorrow or a millennium away. DR needs to be a better Canadian League Cultist and stop with the hard dates.

You want Duane Rollins to be a better cultist? Just wait until Manchester City help launch the Toronto City CPL team with Mo Babouli as their first signing...

1 hour ago, Gopherbashi said:

Yeah, "upcoming announcement dates" should pretty much just be a running joke here, IMO.

Yeah. When Rollins said he was 95% sure there would be an official announcement before Christmas, I have to admit my reaction was annoyance. I want this league as much as anyone, and I am happy for them to take their time to get it right at the expense of teams in American leagues, but the date dropping that keeps swinging and missing is exhausting me.

5 minutes ago, Kent said:

Yeah. When Rollins said he was 95% sure there would be an official announcement before Christmas, I have to admit my reaction was annoyance. I want this league as much as anyone, and I am happy for them to take their time to get it right at the expense of teams in American leagues, but the date dropping that keeps swinging and missing is exhausting me.

I'm honestly not taking the end-of-year "deadline" seriously anymore.  It'll happen when it happens or it won't.

I was reading through an old Plastic Pitch issue for a side project of mine, and I came across the fact that Brett Wilson is part owner of Derby County, which I had completely forgotten. Still is, according to a 2016 CBC interview. Curious to see if he would be interested in CPL

Back in 2014 when Sandor asked if he would be interested in a Calgary CPL team,  he said that if Derby won promotion he would need to focus 100% on that. For one, that never happened, but two, Derby has seen another owner come in to buy majority shares and Wilson's responsibilities at Derby may have been diminished. Even if Calgary is taken by CSEC, I wonder if he could be brought on board for a team elsewhere.

Another name I came across was Alex Schnaider, who previously owned Macabi Tel Aviv before Goldhar.

Thoughts?

10 hours ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Paul Bernie has been the only "real" news to me. 

...and on the bright side that is obviously a sign that things will soon move from the realm of the aspirational bue sky pronouncements of Rollins and Totera to the nitty gritty of actually making something happen, which usually involves pragmatism and compromise and a downscaling of ambitions to fit what investors with deep pockets are actually willing to fund. Given there are four USL teams, an NASL team and "Hamilton United" all active at the moment there clearly is scope for a Canadian D2 level setup to happen on a timeline of 2018 or 2019 if a way can be found to get everybody on the same page as to what the best way forward is. I have never felt more optimistic about the future of Canadian soccer than I do at the moment.

Archived