Canadian Premier League

ted

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Kent said:

I wonder if Totera's impending announcement will be somehow related to him getting a job within CPL or one of it's teams. The only reason I'm thinking that is because Rollins seems to know the news too, and he is stepping aside for Totera to announce. If they both know the news, and they know approximately when they will announce it, why are they waiting and why is Rollins deferring to Totera?

As for what that position could be for Totera, I have no idea. And hopefully along with that there is more to it, whether that's other staffing news or news that comes along with or is implied with the staffing news. Like, completely hypothetically, if Anthony Totera was announced to be the director of Canadian Soccer Marketing (like SUM) which is a partner with the CPL, then the extra news would be that, hey look, we have our own version of SUM now.

I think if Totera gets hired for anything, it'll be as a pundit. 

27 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

I think if Totera gets hired for anything, it'll be as a pundit. 

I think it's clear now what he was hired for. He's probably the "Director of suspense".

Does anybody else think the tweet after his "Duane and I are excited!" reads like he had actually announced something today?

Why is it time for people to eat crow today? How is Totera's record vindicated today?

3 minutes ago, Kent said:

I think it's clear now what he was hired for. He's probably the "Director of suspense".

Does anybody else think the tweet after his "Duane and I are excited!" reads like he had actually announced something today?

Why is it time for people to eat crow today? How is Totera's record vindicated today?

Because for a long time when Rollins and Totera where reporting on the CPL and it's development people said it was bullshit. Some people even accused them of making it up just to get attention.

28 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Because for a long time when Rollins and Totera where reporting on the CPL and it's development people said it was bullshit. Some people even accused them of making it up just to get attention.

Yeah, I get that, but I don't know why today. He basically has teased news that may or may not force some people to eat crow, but he hasn't given that news yet, and then there is this crow eating tweet that he comments on. It's all a bit odd to me. If the timing of the crow eating was right after ther Bierne announcement, then it would make more sense, but now, not so much.

I think I like CPL news to come out randomly, rather than with semi-specific timelines. Waiting for this is hard.

8 minutes ago, PJSweet said:

I'm really starting to hate this secret of suspense. We want the announcement as soon as possible, or something tangible from Rollins and Totera. What's stalling the process? It's really annoying, and people are starting to get real sick of this.

I'm guessing Rollins and Totera are not going to be reporting this. I'm guessing someone in the know told them there would be a major announcement this week and that's what they're referencing, as in they're not making the announcement, someone else is. And now there's some sort of delay which they either don't know about or can't comment on.

18 minutes ago, PJSweet said:

I'm really starting to hate this secret of suspense. We want the announcement soon. What's stalling the process. It's really annoying, and people are starting to get real sick of this.

The obvious explanation is that although the Hamilton group is gung ho about this to the extent they are willing to register a trademark and hire Paul Beirne, they still don't have the numbers elsewhere to put a league together. Hamilton + Ottawa + 3 MLS reserve teams + one more would be enough to get going in 2018 with six but if they don't want to cooperate with USL, because the optics of being an MLS farm team operation would make it a difficult sell in a market used to the Ticats vs Argos rivalry then they need to find five to seven other investor groups. File that under good luck with that, if team budgets are really going to be $1.5 million. I would genuinely love to be proven wrong in that assessment, but I don't think corporate Canada is lining up to invest in something like this.

Just now, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

The obvious explanation is that although the Hamilton group is gung ho about this to the extent they are willing to register a trademark and hire Paul Beirne, they still don't have the numbers elsewhere to put a league together. Hamilton + Ottawa + 3 MLS reserve teams + one more would be enough to get going in 2018 with six but if they don't want to cooperate with USL, because the optics of being an MLS farm team operation would make it a difficult sell in a market using to the Ticats vs Argos rivalry then they need to find five to seven other investor groups. File that under good luck with that, if team budgets are really going to be $1.5 million. I would genuinely love to be proven wrong in that assessment, but I don't think corporate Canada is lining up to invest in something like this.

"obvious"

Why would Totera have expected something big to be announced this week anyway? The next CSA meeting isn't until Dec 4th judging by when the Ottawa Fury expect their USL sanctioning to be ratified. Unless I have missed something along the way the CSA still have to formally accept the business plan and back the CPL group for sanctioning subject to meeting a set of conditions on numbers of franchises, stadiums, budgets, domestic players etc, so that is the obvious big announcement that still needs to happen. All there has been recently from Metcalfe Street in Ottawa that I have seen is a tweet saying the CSA were happy with progress when they were calling for changes in MLS domestic player rules.

The only point I'm trying to say Blizzard is that you have your theories of what's going on with the league, use words like "obvious" or "it's apparent" like they're facts and you have nothing concrete to back it up.  No disrespect meant.  I get you don't think it'll work and that there are better options.  I'm patient though and waiting to see what the actual details of the league are before I judge it.

The Eastern final game between TFC and Montreal Impact will definitely help Canadian Soccer going forward

http://www.journaldemontreal.com/2016/11/16/un-impact-certain-sur-la-popularite-du-soccer-au-canada

According to Journal de Montreal, RDS (The French TSN) will show the game on the main RDS Channel and will move the Montreal Canadiens vs Ottawa Senators on RDS 2. Something I never taught I would see RDS ever do.

Best case scenario for CPL is TFC or Montreal Impact winning on December 10th. An announcement post MLS Cup match is more realistic. They would just capitalize on MLS Cup national coverage to then announce the Canadian Premier League as a Division 1 league. From a marketing point of view, it's a no brainer and you'd have to be a monumental incompetent idiot to say anything now in the middle of MLS playoffs where a Canadian Club is guaranteed to make the MLS final. An announcement at this point would be buried and died out pretty fast by being overshadowed by MLS Cup.

So guys, try some patience as I'm convinced we're dealing with smart people who will make the right choice. It's consistent with Duane Rollins tweet about a 95% chance of an announcement by Christmas. Last time I checked, we're only November 17th and MLS all Canadian Eastern Final are the next 2 weeks. Makes no sense to announce anything now.

Lastly, us hardcore fans are already sold to the league. Announcing CPL after the MLS Cup is the perfect opportunity to start selling the concept to casual fans and get new fans to get excited and hype it up for over a year at the peak time where Canadians will have their attention on soccer.

9 minutes ago, Rheo said:

The only point I'm trying to say Blizzard is that you have your theories of what's going on with the league, use words like "obvious" or "it's apparent" like they're facts and you have nothing concrete to back it up.  No disrespect meant.  I get you don't think it'll work and that there are better options.  I'm patient though and waiting to see what the actual details of the league are before I judge it.

That's BBTB alright. He's always trying to pass off his opinion as an ardent fact. 

9 minutes ago, Ansem said:

The Eastern final game between TFC and Montreal Impact will definitely help Canadian Soccer going forward

There's no doubt it will.  It just won't be anytime soon.  If you look at basketball it took years to see the effects of the Vince Carter era Raptors and Steve Nash in his prime.  Now we have a bunch of excellent, young players who grew up watching them and loving them and our basketball program has improved.

I have no doubt in 5-10 years we'll see an improvement in the player pool due to the MLS playoffs this year (and the three teams in general) as well as the women's Olympic success and the World Cup last year.  And hopefully we'll have the CPL to build on that success.

21 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Why would Totera have expected something big to be announced this week anyway? The next CSA meeting isn't until Dec 4th judging by when the Ottawa Fury expect their USL sanctioning to be ratified. Unless I have missed something along the way the CSA still have to formally accept the business plan and back the CPL group for sanctioning subject to meeting a set of conditions on numbers of franchises, stadiums, budgets, domestic players etc, so that is the obvious big announcement that still needs to happen. All there has been recently from Metcalfe Street in Ottawa that I have seen is a tweet saying the CSA were happy with progress when they were calling for changes in MLS domestic player rules.

Steve Milton, unless he's going to be added to your list of untrustworthy reporters, reported on TSN 1150 that CPL has been sanctioned by FIFA, which if I understand the delegation of duties within FIFA, means that the CSA has sanctioned CPL ahead of its launch

Archived