Canadian Premier League

ted

3 minutes ago, David C. said:

And here I thought we were building a Canadian league. Now it's just looking like some kind of Euro colonial/territorial branch league. Yuk!  :-(

A little bit of an over reaction don't you think?  People wanting to invest the league, which will have teams having to fill Canadian quotas and this is a bad thing?

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Rheo said:

A little bit of an over reaction don't you think?  People wanting to invest the league, which will have teams having to fill Canadian quotas and this is a bad thing?

Yeah - I'm sure it is but I just hate teams like Chivas USA, Rayo OKC and NYCFC. If we're going to build our own league, I would prefer it to me a modestly Canadian-built set-up, rather than something built from Europe, largely to expand their marketing reach. Last thing I want is a CPL with Toronto Celtic, Benfica Montreal, West Ham(mers) Hamilton, etc... representing our league "brand" (for lack of a better term). Reminds me of Toronto Italia, Toronto Croatia, etc... It's just not what I was looking for, in principle. But I do get your point - I am ranting a bit. :-) Cheers!

3 minutes ago, David C. said:

Yeah - I'm sure it is but I just hate teams like Chivas USA, Rayo OKC and NYCFC. If we're going to build our own league, I would prefer it to me a modestly Canadian-built set-up, than something built from Europe, largely to expand their marketing reach. Last thing I want is a CPL with Toronto Celtic, Benfica Montreal, West Hammers Hamilton, etc... representing our league "brand" (for lack of a better term). Reminds me of Toronto Italia, Toronto Croatia, etc... It's just not what I was looking for, in principle. But I do get your point. Cheers!

I understand and those are great examples (except NYCFC in my opinon I think they're different than the others) but this is a fairly young soccer market to the majority of Canadians and anybody that wants to take a chance and has the money and patience to back this league is more than welcome to me. This is no small undertaking.  I figure it'll be a mix of most CFL/NHL/Canadian but some other interests.  

Didn't mean to sound harsh and sorry if it did.  The general negativity on here can wear on me sometimes and entering hour 11 at work lol.

8 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Didn't mean to sound harsh and sorry if it did.  The general negativity on here can wear on me sometimes...

Hey Rheo:  No need to be sorry. My rant was pretty negative and I take ownership of that. I enjoy the discussion nonetheless. Too bad it wasn't over a few beers.  :-) Cheers!

11 minutes ago, David C. said:

Hey Rheo:  No need to be sorry. My rant was pretty negative and I take ownership of that. I enjoy the discussion nonetheless. Too bad it wasn't over a few beers.  :-) Cheers!

I know how things can get taken as not intended when read lol.  I'm generally the eternal optimist (often foolishly) on here.  Also don't mention beer I'm still two hours away from getting one.  Cheers

9 hours ago, -Hammer- said:

That is fair, I just think if you run with 3) there are more potential pitfalls then the $200,000, first and foremost will the league continue to exist by next season? Will I have to end up paying to keep certain teams running to keep the league afloat? While I have stated I'm not changing our player salaries, am I going to lose players and be able to replace them with cheaper USL players and save even more? Am I getting some kind of incentive or kickback if I jump ship sooner rather then later?

All of which are valid points. I'm just working off what was reported, and that is $200,000. If there are other factors and that number rises to $1,000,000, then that is a different story. 

Given the fact that I don't know how true the reporting has been on this topic anyways, this may have been a pointless discussion...but it was fun.

14 hours ago, David C. said:

And here I thought we were building a Canadian league. Now it's just looking like some kind of Euro colonial/territorial branch league. Yuk!  :-(

Can remember listening to a podcast a few years ago when John McGrane was very vocal about not having ethnic teams involved in his "Canadian Premier League". One of the problems with the original CSL back in the late 1980s was that they operated in direct competition to Toronto Italia and Croatia of the NSL, who had applied to join along with a team called Panhellenic but had been rejected over the ethnic name issue and there was a very bitter divide in the southern Ontario soccer community over these sort of issues at the time that meant a large portion of the potential fanbase steered clear of the CSL. Arguably, it wasn't really until TFC emerged that the legacy of that era finally faded away. I was mildly surprised yesterday that ex-CSL types like Totera and McGrane would want to go in this particular direction, but maybe a team from the UK like Celtic wouldn't be viewed as "ethnic" by some? 

1 hour ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

but maybe a team from the UK like Celtic wouldn't be viewed as "ethnic" by some? 

Despite it being very, very, very Irish, I think it's safe to say it isn't viewed as a terribly ethnic thing here not because it's a UK club but because of the 17-time NBA champions

Here's the latest reporting from Anthony Totera on the Canadian Premier League. This time he invited Duane Rollins to the show. On another note, Totera also mentions in this interview that interest of investing $$$ billions in the CPL is also coming from other parts of the World. Could it be Asia or South America?

24 minutes ago, matty said:

Despite it being very, very, very Irish, I think it's safe to say it isn't viewed as a terribly ethnic thing here not because it's a UK club but because of the 17-time NBA champions

I think it comes down to how its presented.

If they are Toronto Celtic thats one thing.

If they're a team with their own identity who happens to be owned and partially help run by Celtic thats another.

Celtic is kind of a funny example because to your ethnic point, I don't see them as a super club, I see them as a Scottish club. But when it's a team like PSG I don't really perceive them as a french team, more just a super team. For some reason those concerns dissipate to some degree when the club is bigger.

20 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

How long would that perception last though? Don't think anyone has mentioned PSG yet, but they would fit the profile of previously being interested in the NASL:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/09/23/fort-lauderdale-strikers-handed-qatari-lifeline/

While that would be great, it came out later that it was a local academy that had purchased the rights to the PSG trademark for marketing purposes who was interested in buying the Strikers, not PSG itself. 

24 minutes ago, PJSweet said:

Here's the latest reporting from Anthony Totera on the Canadian Premier League. This time he invited Duane Rollins to the show. On another note, Totera also mentions in this interview that interest of investing $$$ billions in the CPL is also coming from other parts of the World. Could it be Asia or South America?

Totera is great, but I really hope he gets a job with TSN when this is all over. The D'Angelo "commercials" are painful

1 hour ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Can remember listening to a podcast a few years ago when John McGrane was very vocal about not having ethnic teams involved in his "Canadian Premier League". One of the problems with the original CSL back in the late 1980s was that they operated in direct competition to Toronto Italia and Croatia of the NSL, who had applied to join along with a team called Panhellenic but had been rejected over the ethnic name issue and there was a very bitter divide in the southern Ontario soccer community over these sort of issues at the time that meant a large portion of the potential fanbase steered clear of the CSL. Arguably, it wasn't really until TFC emerged that the legacy of that era finally faded away. I was mildly surprised yesterday that ex-CSL types like Totera and McGrane would want to go in this particular direction, but maybe a team from the UK like Celtic wouldn't be viewed as "ethnic" by some? 

This is a bit of a tangent, but one thing that I've been thinking about for a while, and that your comment reminded me of BBTB, is that a lot of the success or failure of a CanPL would be determined by the participation of millennials. And in some respects, to me that is a very encouraging thought for one simple reason. In my experience, millennials are more likely to embrace something different than the generations that preceded them. 

In my former career, I dealt with hundreds of teenagers and in the 90s and early 2000s (and certainly in the 80s when I was in high school) the social survival technique tended to be to conform and stand out as little as possible. Obviously I'm talking trends here and not individuals as there were always non-examples. But as the mid 2000s came about, that trend started to tip the other way, and it became cooler and more interesting to do your own thing. Kids became much more tolerant of differences amongst one another and they more easily embraced things which were outside the norm. I recall having conversations with colleagues across Canada who were noticing similar things. Slag hipsters all you want, but if nothing else the idea of the hipster has left us with a cultural legitimization of the idea that it's not only okay, but often preferred, to chart one's own path. 

And like it or not, soccer in Canada needs a large number of people to embrace something different if the sport is to grow and a Canadian league is to succeed. The 'old' thinking and 'small' thinking that has led to feuds within soccer communities of the past carries much less weight with 20-35yr olds than it does with the 40+ and 50+ crowd, and that makes me hopeful. 

Having said all that, if the rush towards cord-cutting continues, and it's more and more difficult for sports on TV to make money, this makes it more unlikely for a league to succeed. Still, millennial's key role in the success of a potential Canadian league to me is a reason for a measured amount of optimism. 

Regarding the Toronto Billionaire

Regarding affiliation with MLS

Biggest hold up to CSA Announcement

Minimum stadium size?

CPL to launch as 3rd league in CONCACAF salary wise, definately higher than NASL

Team in Winnipeg?

Cities most likely certainties at launch after Hamilton?

Quotas?

Sorry for the wall of tweets, but I think this is a key revelation: The "big euro club interested in investing" reported by Totera is considered to be closer to rumour than fact at this point. However, the Toronto owner is entirely separate, and the foreign group is looking at a non-Toronto market.

Could we possibly see a Mississauga expansion team in the future? Some other 4th Ontario market (assuming Hamilton/GTA/Ottawa are in at some point). FC London and KWC seem like cool markets, but I doubt they are large enough to attract international interest

EDIT: That's a misread apparently. The foreign group IS real, the part that is speculative is if they were a group formerly interested in NASL.

Apologies for being in the dark, but how much of the info from those tweets is reliable?  I find it really odd that he can provide that kind of detailed info on locations, ownership groups, stadium size, working budgets, etc., for a league that hasn't been officially acknowledged by our governing soccer body.  

Maybe I am just getting impatient for something that feels more like official confirmation/announcement and less like wishful thinking coloured with rumours and secret-telephone.

Is the consensus that we really are on the cusp of an announcement, that this has moved beyond concept to sure-thing, and that the details are worked out though not yet announced?  There has just been so much speculation that it is hard to know when (or if) we have gone from fantasy to reality.

Archived