Canadian Premier League

ted

49 minutes ago, matty said:

of all the reaches people have made about the euro tea element, i think this is one of the two most reasonable (other being celtic)

I suspect whatever euro team is involved, assuming again that they are beyond the kicking tires stage, is most likely someone that no one is expecting. I think it will come out of left field.

That said, your scenario seems pretty plausible and it wouldn't be shocking if it turned out to be right

EDIT: Interestingly, Southhampton looks very healthy financially, posting a £33.5 million profit in 2015 and anticipating a huge spike in TV revenue. Seems like a team capable of taking on a cheap CPL project. I tweeted Totera, doubt he reveals anything but worth seeing if he tips his hand at all

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

I followed the launch of MLS back when rec.sport.soccer and mailing lists were where things were at in internet terms and lots of details were getting out about what was happening in the different cities, because people talk and rumours start. I'm comparing what is unfolding now with CPL to stuff like that and I find the comparitive silence on this bizarre given it's now usually much easier to find inside information about North American soccer because of how the internet has expanded than it was back then. Back in the early to mid-90s, the FAN 590 covered the Toronto angle (there could have been a team at the Skydome when it launched, MLS were open to the concept) through Dale Barnes and the International Sports Report after the Blizzard had gone into their final death spiral (they had been banking on the APSL getting D1 status rather than MLS), and there would be news about when Alan Rothenburg had been in Toronto to meet people, an interview with Joey Saputo explaining why the Impact preferred the APSL to MLS etc. I find it strange that the Fath brothers, for example, have never felt a need to even address this subject in an Edmonton context in contrast with that.

Were non-disclosure agreements involved in any of those situations? I wasn't following as closely then so I honestly don't know.

As for the Fath's, I've met and spoken to Tom and know several folks that are in regular communication with him. He is a quiet, unassuming guy who avoids the media spotlight. He is reluctant to address anything CanPL - NASL related unless it is put to him by someone from the media whom he trusts. He also is completely off social media, and pays little attention to social media inspired rumours, etc so the 'hubbub' on here about CanPL is something he is completely unaware of. I don't think that Tom Fath's addressing anything one way or another is indicative of anything one way or the other simply due to his personality and approach to media.

6 hours ago, Ansem said:

I wouldn't put the CFL as the best example of good managing. Quebec City being a football crazy market on the university side (no joke, they wanted to be in the NCAA at some point) have ZERO interest in CFL. They are the right market size, economy and a rivalry with Montreal would have been instant classic and sellouts. Never expanding to Quebec will always remain their biggest failure.

CFL has done poorly on the marketing side and  had poor vision for a very long time. CFL did it to themselves

The CFL lacking vision is an understatement. However, I have said this before, I also think that Canadian grid iron football having only a fraction of the cultural relevance as hockey in this country also contributes to the lack of further geographical footprint here. If it was on the same level, we'd have CFL teams in KW, London, Windsor, Halifax, Quebec City, Victoria, Moncton and Saskatoon. I can see why these cities fail to produce a local consortium of business men and women to take on the risk of bringing something to their respective towns considering the locals may not resonate with it. However, I think with the right community outreach and marketing, the cities mentioned all can draw the 25000 needed on a weekly basis to support a CFL team. However, soccer, which is a sport on a significant rise in popularity, could be a much easier sell 15 to 20 years down the road.

4 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

Let's say, with some level of optimism, that CPL is still going strong in 2030, not even 15 years away. 

The KWC TriCity is growing rapidly and projected to have a population of 750 thousand by 2030, will have efficient light rail transit comparable to Calgary's current system, and the region is expected to look much more like a single city than 3 nearby cities. Nearby Guelph is also growing rapidly, and the team has nearby rivals available in Toronto and Hamilton.  

To me, when we talk an expansion, say 5 years post launch, if the league is doing well, KWC is on the list. Launch? No way. 2020? Probably not. But some time between now and 2030, I think it becomes a viable option. 

I think the CPL, like any other North American professional sports league, won't stop expansion until a significant TV contract (ignore cord cutting for now) is in place. If we have the current teams packing the stadiums by 2030 for this proposed league, they'll want to expand further into the country to increase footprint and eyeballs so that lucrative deal can be signed. A big money Canadian sports TV contract would be around $300 to $400 million dollars. The fact the CFL's contract is only $40 million tells me the league is very much under capacity when it comes to TV viewership. There's room for other sports to take hold here.

6 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

Let's say, with some level of optimism, that CPL is still going strong in 2030, not even 15 years away. 

The KWC TriCity is growing rapidly and projected to have a population of 750 thousand by 2030, will have efficient light rail transit comparable to Calgary's current system, and the region is expected to look much more like a single city than 3 nearby cities. Nearby Guelph is also growing rapidly, and the team has nearby rivals available in Toronto and Hamilton.  

To me, when we talk an expansion, say 5 years post launch, if the league is doing well, KWC is on the list. Launch? No way. 2020? Probably not. But some time between now and 2030, I think it becomes a viable option. 

I hope you're not ordering trains from Bombardier with that kind of attitude.

Watching the MLS playoffs makes you realize the Canadian clubs are a class above the American ones. The CPL MUST take the the 3 clubs out of the MLS because the deserve a much better league. We can guarantee once the CPL launches it will surpass MLS in less than 5 years. MLS isn't even the 2nd best in CONCACAF, it's below Costa Rica, Honduras, Panama, and Trinidad.

1 minute ago, Mister215Guy said:

I'm being honest. Canada is too good for the Mickey Mouse League. TFC isn't even trying hard and they're completely destroying Man City Jr.

not denying they're crushing nyc but mls is easily concacaf's #2 league.

2 minutes ago, matty said:

not denying they're crushing nyc but mls is easily concacaf's #2 league.

No, the CPL can easily be Concacaf's 2nd league. The Canadian clubs are more on par with Liga MX than the American ones. Are you paying attention to the playoffs? TFC and Montreal are wiping the floor with worthless USA.

No, the CPL can easily be Concacaf's 2nd league. The Canadian clubs are more on par with Liga MX than the American ones. Are you paying attention to the playoffs? TFC and Montreal are wiping the floor with worthless USA.

Yes CPL could down the road but until then MLS is the #2. To respond to your other comments. Not really. Yes and yes they've slaughter the East in playoffs but let's win the cup first.

Question: Can I buy some of your drugs?

3 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Oh geez, here we go again. TFC/IMFC/VWC are not only, by all accounts, uninterested in leaving MLS, the single-entity structure of MLS makes it borderline impossible. It's not happening

Do you believe Canada is better than the US in soccer? If yes, then we should have a better league than that steaming pile of dung called MLS. Don't subject those 3 to mediocrity forever.

Do you believe Canada is better than the US in soccer? If yes, then we should have a better league than that steaming pile of dung called MLS. Don't subject those 3 to mediocrity forever.

We really aren't better than them at this point, and MLS is actually decent in terms of a relatively young league. 

3 minutes ago, matty said:

Yes CPL could down the road but until then MLS is the #2. To respond to your other comments. Not really. Yes and yes they've slaughter the East in playoffs but let's win the cup first.

Question: Can I buy some of your drugs?

Hell no. MLS is NOT #2. Portland Timbers, last year's champs got eliminated by a Costa Rican club. In the past US clubs have lost to Nicaragua and Trinidad. The only reason MLS won't make Canadians domestic in the US because they're afraid that Canadian players will get all the spots and worthless yank players will be left out. The CPL is the perfect place to prove Canada has more talent than our rubbish neighbours. BTW I'm an American who just recently relocated to Canada because I hate everything about the US and want to live in a civilized society. I fully support Canada.

Hell no. MLS is NOT #2. Portland Timbers, last year's champs got eliminated by a Costa Rican club. In the past US clubs have lost to Nicaragua and Trinidad. The only reason MLS won't make Canadians domestic in the US because they're afraid that Canadian players will get all the spots and worthless yank players will be left out. The CPL is the perfect place to prove Canada has more talent than our rubbish neighbours. BTW I'm an American who just recently relocated to Canada because I hate everything about the US and want to live in a civilized society. I fully support Canada.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA this guy is great.

4 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

We really aren't better than them at this point, and MLS is actually decent in terms of a relatively young league. 

I know Canadians are modest (I'm an American who recently crossed the border) but having confidence isn't a bad thing. MLS is not decent, China and Australia have younger leagues that already surpassed it.

5 minutes ago, Mister215Guy said:

...China and Australia have younger leagues that already surpassed it.

They're really not. China might be on par but that's because of they're use of imports and not their domestic talent.

China is well behind the US in soccer. It might end up with a bigger league soon but it will struggle to be labelled better until their domestic talent has caught up.

The A-League.......is no where near MLS

Archived