Canadian Premier League

ted

Just now, Ansem said:

My bad, I thought he meant the GO Station at King that Metrolinx is planning. Forgot about exhibition GO but for Torontonians who wouldn't use GO, the subway is easier than the King Streetcar

Fair, but when I go to TFC games (usually when I'm staying with someone on Bay Street), I subway to union and take the GO...takes about half an hour. Not bad at all for anyone on the the subway line

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Complete Homer said:

Fair, but when I go to TFC games (usually when I'm staying with someone on Bay Street), I subway to union and take the GO...takes about half an hour. Not bad at all for anyone on the the subway line

Most Torontonians use the 509-511 and now 514 streetcars to get to the stadium, and it's safe to assume most of the spectators would be Toronto residents.

1 hour ago, Complete Homer said:

Jonathon Tannenwald is a fairly well respected reporter in the states. Had a couple interesting tweets:

Edit: Lots of twitter chatter about Celtic dropping its NASL ambitions and may be redirecting to CPL. Nothing solid but an interesting development. Somehow I see Celtic as more palatable than a City-esque setup, but that's just me probably

I think we all misinterpreted the "CPL is going to be like Scottish Premiership" post...

1 minute ago, Rheo said:

It is a useful tool for new leagues not only from an investment perspective, but also in terms of potentially attracting established players. The Montreal Impact were able to loan forward Matteo Mancosu, for example, as a result of Joey Saputo’s ownership of both the Impact and Mancosu’s parent club Bologna in Italy.

Mancosu has been a boss for Montreal. People are already forgetting about Drogba

17 minutes ago, Ansem said:

TTC, the overcrowded King streetcar goes there. Can you imagine all those people at the streetcar stop? :wacko:

Bloor Street West is hardly isolated and access is way easier than Lamport with 2 subway line interlining at that location.

Why would U of T refuse a private investor upgrading the stadium for them AND paying them to rent the location??? I don't recall McGill University putting up a fight when the Montreal Alouettes upgraded Percival-Molson stadium to 25k on the mountain... they were pretty happy actually

UofT, McGill... You tell me which school has more money. And I just think varsity is as good as is. . . Yes every stadium can do with upgrades, but only if the demand fits, and the way I see it . . . No university or college should have a 25k seat outdoor stadium in the GTA , why do I say that . . . Because school spirit doesn't exist , no one attends games as they do at McGill , Laurier , Western etc. 

As for king street... The overcrowded street car is due to construction (which is everywhere, causing congestion and crowds everywhere) 

I don't know where you live . . . Maybe in the heart of Toronto , but I'm speaking for the GTAnians (I. E. Peel, York, Durham). . . The Go train has been massive to tfcs success in accessibility . . . Not everyone is willing to take their 3 kids on the TTC and have to change trains 3x my friend  

I'll start a rumour...the Euro club looking at CPL is actually a West Ham joint venture with Hamilton CPL, named of course The Hammers. Somewhat more seriously, for the GTA a Roma/Lazio setup may work. Meaning, Toronto FC (Roma) draws most of the supporters from the city of Toronto proper, while Toronto CPL (Lazio) draws its supporters from GTA.

11 minutes ago, RickC said:

I'll start a rumour...the Euro club looking at CPL is actually a West Ham joint venture with Hamilton CPL, named of course The Hammers. Somewhat more seriously, for the GTA a Roma/Lazio setup may work. Meaning, Toronto FC (Roma) draws most of the supporters from the city of Toronto proper, while Toronto CPL (Lazio) draws its supporters from GTA.

And Henry gets loaned to the Hammers, only to get injured during the league debut

20 minutes ago, RickC said:

Think it's left wing working class Roma vs right wing middle class Lazio? It probably would have been Gerry Gentile who was behind any Lazio angle for CUSL. In a Hamilton context, Bob Young is said to be an Aberdeen fan and I think (not 100% sure) John McGrane is from a Celtic supporting background. Aberdeen, Celtic and Hearts played a tournament at Ivor Wynne stadium in Hamilton about 20 years back with an NSL (or CPSL?) select providing the local content. No idea if Bob Young and/or John McGrane would have had any involvement with that, but might explain how there could be a Celtic connection.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

As for Toronto Celtic, that seems more than a little far fetched to me given how little money there is in Scottish football at the moment and their less than stellar Champions League showing. Any money they have is likely to go into their operation in Scotland given Rangers will slowly strengthen again in the years ahead.

I'll believe Toronto Celtic when I see it, but I just wanted to point out that the talk in Scotland is that Rangers are heading towards financial ruin yet again. They seem to still be mismanaged. So to play devil's advocate, perhaps Celtic could be looking at a short to medium term future without anyone rivalling them in the Premiership and thinking of other ways to invest in a (potential) growth market.

The Atletico Madrid Board Meeting
Person 1: That Indian team has worked out ok for us.
Person 2: Yeah
Person 1: Should we do it again?
Person 2: Yeah
Person 1: But where?
Person 3: I hear Canada is starting a league.
Person 4: That's right!
Person 1: Let us celebrate with pie

3 hours ago, -Hammer- said:

No, the point I was making, is that shelving your team is a terrible option. Hence "Relegation is better then not playing for a year". If your options are shelve for a season or relegate and play, you pick relegate, every day of the week regardless of the league if you want to stay in business. Bowing out for a season is a very unprofessional move, and is a signal of a struggling or uncommitted franchise and those signals will cause you to lose fans. The damage you could do to your team in lost revenue, lost time, lost marketing opportunity and signalling a lack of consistent plan-management-leauge is just the kind of thing to lose casual and not quite die-hard fans.

If the only options are take a year off or self relegate, then self relegating is preferable. I agree. But my point/question is why are those the only options?

If indeed they plan on moving to the CPL in 2018 (which I admit is just speculation), you do have a third option.

1) take a year off
2) self relegate to USL for 1 season
3) stay in NASL and lose an extra $200,000

I don't like telling other people how to spend their money, but I would choose option 3. From an outsiders perspective, making 2 league changes in 2 years does not seem worth it to save only $200,000. This sends a message of instability to the fan base as well.

Bored Matty Top 5 Contenders (because fantasy is fun)
1. Celtic in Toronto - Rumour has it they wanted an NASL club but might of been scared off and now see CPL as a better option
2. Olympiacos in Toronto - Have a large mega passionate Toronto fanbase and when they came to town their fans easily outnumbered AC Milan. Their fans also went nuts
3. Roma in Toronto - They already have a relationship to the city of Toronto thanks to TFC and have a big Toronto fanbase
4. Benfica in Toronto - Big Toronto fanbase
5. West Ham in Hamilton - The hammers name is lame but if you recall the only thing Futballer said that actually made remote sense was that an EPL club was interested in Hamilton.

IT WILL NOT BE
Maccabi Tel Aviv - Goldhar might get involved but we won't see Maccabi Toronto for one simple reason: You'd have protests at every game.

3 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

So storied you have no idea what they are normally referred to as. Back in the CUSL era the rumour was Toronto Lazio so again it's a case of the more things change the more they stay the same. There really aren't the numbers in recent immigration terms to make a Irish-Scottish team work (a lot of Scots don't like Celtic and would go nowhere near it) in the GTA. Not even close to what Chivas had to draw from in LA. Think it's the Italians you need to look at first on something like this but it's thirty years too late to make something like that really fly, because the descendants of the immigration wave of the 50s and 60s tend to be very much assimilated now.

Assimilation does not equal someone not liking or developing an indifference to soccer. It's actually quite the contrary for the GTA, the market in question. The rise in popularity of the sport here has caused the opposite of what you describe. You'll find second and third generation Canadians of Italian descent wearing Juventus, Milan, Inter and Roma jerseys even if their parents have or had no deep affinity to the sport themselves outside of cheering for Italy during World Cups. This is a result of the mainstream TV explosion that occurred for the European game during the mid to late 90s. Young kids developed a passion for the Italian club game, which very well could have been lost by the previous generation for some households.

58 minutes ago, masster said:

If the only options are take a year off or self relegate, then self relegating is preferable. I agree. But my point/question is why are those the only options?

If indeed they plan on moving to the CPL in 2018 (which I admit is just speculation), you do have a third option.

1) take a year off
2) self relegate to USL for 1 season
3) stay in NASL and lose an extra $200,000

I don't like telling other people how to spend their money, but I would choose option 3. From an outsiders perspective, making 2 league changes in 2 years does not seem worth it to save only $200,000. This sends a message of instability to the fan base as well.

That is fair, I just think if you run with 3) there are more potential pitfalls then the $200,000, first and foremost will the league continue to exist by next season? Will I have to end up paying to keep certain teams running to keep the league afloat? While I have stated I'm not changing our player salaries, am I going to lose players and be able to replace them with cheaper USL players and save even more? Am I getting some kind of incentive or kickback if I jump ship sooner rather then later?

35 minutes ago, Macksam said:

Assimilation does not equal someone not liking or developing an indifference to soccer. It's actually quite the contrary for the GTA, the market in question. The rise in popularity of the sport here has caused the opposite of what you describe. You'll find second and third generation Canadians of Italian descent wearing Juventus, Milan, Inter and Roma jerseys even if their parents have or had no deep affinity to the sport themselves outside of cheering for Italy during World Cups. This is a result of the mainstream TV explosion that occurred for the European game during the mid to late 90s. Young kids developed a passion for the Italian club game, which very well could have been lost by the previous generation for some households.

This hits the nail literally on the head for my mom (who grew up in Italy) and my brother (who is a Juventus fan).

1 hour ago, matty said:

1. Celtic in Toronto - Rumour has it they wanted an NASL club but might of been scared off and now see CPL as a better option

I'm going to be a grammar nazi for a minute lol.. 

Might have been OR Might've been

...not might of

Archived