Canadian Premier League

ted

23 minutes ago, Macksam said:

So the Blizzard name is available for me to register? Lol, I'd buy that for a dollar.

Nah, that's what TFC is going to rename TFC II as when their B team moves to CPL, since the CPL won't have teams called "B" or "2".

Though maybe they'll change it to B-lizzard just to drive the point home.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Totera claiming there is an international player interested in an Ontario market. Doubtful that could mean anything other than Toronto. A little dissappointing, I would have liked to see our biggest media market with a fully independent team, but done right it can be closer to NYCFC than Rayo OKC.

I suppose there is a chance it could be referring to Missisauga or elsewhere, but that seems like wishful thinking

24 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Totera claiming there is an international player interested in an Ontario market. Doubtful that could mean anything other than Toronto. A little dissappointing, I would have liked to see our biggest media market with a fully independent team, but done right it can be closer to NYCFC than Rayo OKC.

I suppose there is a chance it could be referring to Missisauga or elsewhere, but that seems like wishful thinking

That's good news and brings further credibility to the CPL plan

Jonathon Tannenwald is a fairly well respected reporter in the states. Had a couple interesting tweets:

Edit: Lots of twitter chatter about Celtic dropping its NASL ambitions and may be redirecting to CPL. Nothing solid but an interesting development. Somehow I see Celtic as more palatable than a City-esque setup, but that's just me probably

On 10/31/2016 at 5:31 PM, masster said:

You would shelve your team over $200,000? Seems like a small amount of money to make such a drastic step.

No, the point I was making, is that shelving your team is a terrible option. Hence "Relegation is better then not playing for a year". If your options are shelve for a season or relegate and play, you pick relegate, every day of the week regardless of the league if you want to stay in business. Bowing out for a season is a very unprofessional move, and is a signal of a struggling or uncommitted franchise and those signals will cause you to lose fans. The damage you could do to your team in lost revenue, lost time, lost marketing opportunity and signalling a lack of consistent plan-management-leauge is just the kind of thing to lose casual and not quite die-hard fans.

Personally, I don’t like the thought of a big European club investing in the CPL, but only because of how big clubs have treated their North American clubs historically. A European club joining the CPL lends credibility if it does not go down the path of past clubs like Chivas USA or Rayo OKC. Otherwise it will actually take away credibility in my opinion.

11 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Personally, I don’t like the thought of a big European club investing in the CPL, but only because of how big clubs have treated their North American clubs historically. A European club joining the CPL lends credibility if it does not go down the path of past clubs like Chivas USA or Rayo OKC. Otherwise it will actually take away credibility in my opinion.

Hoping they would do something like NYC FC (minus Yankee Stadium), otherwise you're right

Yeah, I don't see any major European team setting up shop anywhere in Ontario but Toronto, Mississauga or Ottawa, and I'm not sure someone is going to move it to take on the Fury

As far as why, they probably have realized that Canada is still a bit more of a wild west and won't have the US's absurd franchise costs.

1 minute ago, Ansem said:

Hoping they would do something like NYC FC (minus Yankee Stadium), otherwise you're right

Oh god...could you imagine a team in the dome? Eww....

2 minutes ago, -Hammer- said:

Yeah, I don't see any major European team setting up shop anywhere in Ontario but Toronto, Mississauga or Ottawa, and I'm not sure someone is going to move it to take on the Fury

As far as why, they probably have realized that Canada is still a bit more of a wild west and won't have the US's absurd franchise costs.

Oh god...could you imagine a team in the dome? Eww....

Fingers crossed for a renovated Lamport Stadium. The V-cup derbies with TFC would be insane

8 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Fingers crossed for a renovated Lamport Stadium. The V-cup derbies with TFC would be insane

Fingers crossed for this to be resurrected

Varsity 20k seat renovation and expansion

Bloor-Yonge and Bay Subway station in the heart of Toronto Yorkville. In terms of "location, location, location", this is the best location for a Toronto CPL Team.

http://stadiumci.com/sci/projects/university-of-toronto-varsity-stadium/

UnivToronto-Varsity01-615x461.jpg

1 minute ago, Ansem said:

Fingers crossed for this to be resurrected

Varsity 20k seat renovation and expansion

Bloor-Yonge and Bay Subway station in the heart of Toronto Yorkville. In terms of "location, location, location", this is the best location for a Toronto CPL Team.

http://stadiumci.com/sci/projects/university-of-toronto-varsity-stadium/

UnivToronto-Varsity01-615x461.jpg

The revamped Varsity would be awesome, but if it is a Celtic-type group coming in, I'm doubtful. I was holding out hope that the money needed for a Varsity renovation would come from a Goldhar-type owner (it would fit perfectly, billionaire philanthropist sort of owner who lectures part-time at UofT). However, I think a foreign ownership group would be more likely to pick a facility that would need the least amount of money put in to make it suitable, and Lamport seems to be a better bet on that front. 

Still, I'd be very much in favour of a Varsity stadium, it might target the downtown core crowd better than BMO.

32 minutes ago, shermanator said:

To hardcore people like us that spend a lot of time (way too much lol) on message boards it could be bad if done incorrectly.  For the general public, to hear that *insert known European club in here* is a part of the league it does nothing but build goodwill and publicity for a project that will need any good publicitiy it can get.

25 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Tannenwald and a lot of others are speculating it is Celtic, who was interested in NASL in Boston but has backed off apparently. Not sure if that is better or worse than City. 

Better for a guy like me who grew up a Man U fan, and married a Celtic fan. Not as good for a bizarro me who grew up a Man City fan, and married a Rangers fan.

48 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Also to be fair... There's a huge difference between the Celtic and Rayo Vallecano (Division 2) and Mexico Guadalajara. The Celtics with their storied history is good news if true.

I followed the U-20 World Cup stadium saga all the way through (including when Corriere Canadese was the only news outlet paying any attention) and the reason the revamped Varsity project got ditched was because a significant segment of the university community at UofT very much wanted to keep pro teams off their campus. The federal and provincial funding that would have paid for what you see in that picture is what ultimately made BMO Field happen. Think it's the legacy of the PanAm games at York stadium that you need to look at on this for alternative stadia, because it was the Argos rather than the university that pulled the plug there.

As for Toronto Celtic, that seems more than a little far fetched to me given how little money there is in Scottish football at the moment and their less than stellar Champions League showing. Any money they have is likely to go into their operation in Scotland given Rangers will slowly strengthen again in the years ahead. If they were going to wind up anywhere in North America it was rumoured to be St Louis rather than Boston due to their links to Tony Glavin's St Louis Lions:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Louis_Lions

but the emergence of a USL team knocked that on the head.

Should note that people are only saying Celtic because they backed off the NASL. Both Tannenwald and Totera are saying they have heard a euro team formerly interested in NASL looking at CPL, not actually saying Celtic. Seeing as Celtic is apparently just barely profitable, I'd be suspicious of that too. Granted, their average salary for a single roster player is equal to the entire CPL cap, so who knows

The pessimist inside me is saying that this could be a case of over-reporting...apparently NASL is hosting a meeting with a few investors this week. I'd imagine anyone looking to branch out into North America would do their due diligence and check out CPL. That doesn't mean a team is necessarily coming

2 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Also to be fair... There's a huge difference between the Celtic and Rayo Vallecano (Division 2) and Mexico Guadalajara. The Celtics with their storied history is good news if true.

So storied you have no idea what they are normally referred to as. Back in the CUSL era the rumour was Toronto Lazio so again it's a case of the more things change the more they stay the same. There really aren't the numbers in recent immigration terms to make a Irish-Scottish team work (a lot of Scots don't like Celtic and would go nowhere near it) in the GTA. Not even close to what Chivas had to draw from in LA. Think it's the Italians you need to look at first on something like this but it's thirty years too late to make something like that really fly, because the descendants of the immigration wave of the 50s and 60s tend to be very much assimilated now.

57 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

This, this , this . . . A few M$ to be the main tenant , upgrade the stadium and be accessible  to Gotrain and TTC is why it makes more sense then varsity . . . . . The UofT peoples don't need or want help that could potentially bring issue$ to their school . And quiet frankly it's a very isolated place  and I mean community . . . . Can't see the local nimbys wanting a pro team there every other Saturday . 

13 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

This, this , this . . . A few M$ to be the main tenant , upgrade the stadium and be accessible  to Gotrain and TTC is why it makes more sense then varsity . . . . . The UofT peoples don't need or want help that could potentially bring issue$ to their school . And quiet frankly it's a very isolated place  and I mean community . . . . Can't see the local nimbys wanting a pro team there every other Saturday . 

TTC, the overcrowded King streetcar goes there. Can you imagine all those people at the streetcar stop? :wacko:

Bloor Street West is hardly isolated and access is way easier than Lamport with 2 subway line interlining at that location.

Why would U of T refuse a private investor upgrading the stadium for them AND paying them to rent the location??? I don't recall McGill University putting up a fight when the Montreal Alouettes upgraded Percival-Molson stadium to 25k on the mountain... they were pretty happy actually

2 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Lamport is years from having access to GO, and as for TTC, the overcrowded King streetcar goes there. Can you imagine all those people at the streetcar stop? :wacko:

Bloor Street West is hardly isolated and access is way easier than Lamport

? Lamport is like a 5 minute walk from the Exhibition GO station. Just as accessible as BMO IMO

Heck, most of the supporters bars in Liberty Village have slightly quicker access to Lamport than BMO

2 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

? Lamport is like a 5 minute walk from the Exhibition GO station. Just as accessible as BMO IMO

My bad, I thought he meant the GO Station at King that Metrolinx is planning. Forgot about exhibition GO but for Torontonians who wouldn't use GO, the subway is easier than the King Streetcar

Archived