Canadian Premier League

ted

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Apologies for being in the dark, but how much of the info from those tweets is reliable?  I find it really odd that he can provide that kind of detailed info on locations, ownership groups, stadium size, working budgets, etc., for a league that hasn't been officially acknowledged by our governing soccer body.  

Maybe I am just getting impatient for something that feels more like official confirmation/announcement and less like wishful thinking coloured with rumours and secret-telephone.

Is the consensus that we really are on the cusp of an announcement, that this has moved beyond concept to sure-thing, and that the details are worked out though not yet announced?  There has just been so much speculation that it is hard to know when (or if) we have gone from fantasy to reality.

The current excuse from the CSA is that they have non-disclosure agreements that keep them from saying anything until they are ready to officially launch. However, I'd note that the CSA has acknowledged the league several times (CSA via Twitter, Montagliani many times in radio interviews and in print), they just say they are incapable of saying who the partners are as of yet

To me, it seems pretty clear they are using a few reporters to leak around the agreements and control the story a bit

1 minute ago, -Hammer- said:

Just out of curiosity, I see Celtic keeps getting mentioned as the likely club to start a team. Why exactly?

...because the initial tweets were from the United States (think anyway?) and revolved around a club that had previously been interested in the NASL. Celtic fit the profile on that, and there are very few other obvious candidates in terms of previous speculation about NASL expansion.

1 minute ago, -Hammer- said:

Just out of curiosity, I see Celtic keeps getting mentioned as the likely club to start a team. Why exactly?

Mostly because they were apparently interested in an NASL team and backed off recently...that's it. Totera and Rollins are saying that it is a foreign team interested...Rollins has been explicit today that the group formerly being interested in NASL is speculation at this point (Rollins didn't sound confident in the source that told him it was formerly NASL interest, Tannenwald only said it was "someone" who said that it was the case).

Takeaway seems to be:

- The foreign group may or may not be formerly interested in NASL, and they are interested in a NON-Toronto Ontario market

- The Toronto ownership group is NOT the foreign group

- The foreign group, at this point, could be anyone

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

Apologies for being in the dark, but how much of the info from those tweets is reliable?  I find it really odd that he can provide that kind of detailed info on locations, ownership groups, stadium size, working budgets, etc., for a league that hasn't been officially acknowledged by our governing soccer body.  

Maybe I am just getting impatient for something that feels more like official confirmation/announcement and less like wishful thinking coloured with rumours and secret-telephone.

Is the consensus that we really are on the cusp of an announcement, that this has moved beyond concept to sure-thing, and that the details are worked out though not yet announced?  There has just been so much speculation that it is hard to know when (or if) we have gone from fantasy to reality.

CSA has acknowledged it's working on the league just nothing concrete.  Rollins is highly debated as reliable on here so take it with a grain of salt.  

It seems like there's a lot more leaks and talk of it recently.  I'd lean towards something coming soon but that's just a guess.  Nothing to do really but be patient and wait (other the wild speculation like we do on here lol)

3 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

The current excuse from the CSA is that they have non-disclosure agreements that keep them from saying anything until they are ready to officially launch. However, I'd note that the CSA has acknowledged the league several times (CSA via Twitter, Montagliani many times in radio interviews and in print), they just say they are incapable of saying who the partners are as of yet

Thanks.  I am probably just cranky.  I am so hopeful that this is all real that I get frustrated with what seems like 148 pages of speculation and rumour.

Not knocking folks who are thread contributors (at least not meaning it that way) - I just want to read about the CPL home opener, where I can buy my Charlottetown Potatoes jersey, and how AC Vancouver hates Canada.

...he's been confident before. Haven't there been big build ups to announcements during a Gold Cup and a Grey Cup in the past that never actually materialized? This stream of tweets plus Totera's podcast activity looks a lot more like trying to spread the word to create a ripple of excitement online and in the mainstream media in the hope of attracting investors. If something was imminent I'd expect somebody like Stephen Brunt to be the journalist writing the exclusives rather than two guys that are very much on the fringes in professional terms.

6 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

...he's been confident before. Haven't there been big build ups to announcements during Gold Cups and Grey Cups in the past that never actually materialized? This stream of tweets plus Totera's podcast activity looks a lot more like trying to spread the word to create a ripple of excitement online and in the mainstream media in the hope of attracting investors.

I'm probably foolishly naive but I think the increased flow is that they're ready to announce soon.  I'd like to think they still aren't searching for investors.  But then again I can still see us still waiting this time next year as well

5 minutes ago, Rheo said:

I'm probably foolishly naive but I think the increased flow is that they're ready to announce soon.  I'd like to think they still aren't searching for investors.  But then again I can still see us still waiting this time next year as well

My guess and it's only that obviously is that the Fury joining the USL with apparent CSA approval is what has generated the recent hightened level of activity because the optics of that don't look good from a CPL standpoint given the Fury were often speculated to be on board with the concept. I actually found the European club angle to be more plausible than the usual rumours as it is the sort of compromise that would probably need to happen to get something like this off the ground given the difficult part is moving from two or three to eight solidly interested investors given the very limited number of viable markets that are available, but Rollins appears to be pouring cold water on that.

12 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

My guess and it's only that obviously is that the Fury joining the USL with apparent CSA approval is what has generated the recent hightened level of activity because the optics of that don't look good from a CPL standpoint given the Fury were often speculated to be on board with the concept. I actually found the European club angle to be more plausible than the usual rumours as it is the sort of compromise that would probably need to happen to get something like this off the ground given the difficult part is moving from two or three to eight solidly interested investors given the very limited number of viable markets that are available, but Rollins appears to be pouring cold water on that.

To be clear, I was inaccurate when I said that Rollins was pouring cold water on the European club angle. He was saying that the rumour that the group was formerly interested in the NASL and switched to CPL is speculation at this point, primarily driven by a single source that Rollins doesn't seem 100% confident in. The whole idea of a European club being interested in an Ontario market (apparently not Toronto) is still reliable from his perspective

Just adding fuel to the fire here: I mentioned the rumoured league to a friend of mine (who happens to be a legacy recording artist) a couple of months ago... He recently reached out to personally thank me for the heads up, as he had some cuts (for radio) taken up last week. 

22 minutes ago, Pqhbv said:

Just adding fuel to the fire here: I mentioned the rumoured league to a friend of mine (who happens to be a legacy recording artist) a couple of months ago... He recently reached out to personally thank me for the heads up, as he had some cuts (for radio) taken up last week. 

Sorry, what do you mean by "cuts taken up"?

4 hours ago, PJSweet said:

DUANE ROLLINS: I am 95% confident there will be an announcement before Christmas for the Canadian Premier League.

Announcement that there will be an announcement at some point in the very near future?

Heart being overruled by brain again. Sorry all.

4 hours ago, Rheo said:

He must be a glutton for punishment even just giving a date range lol.  

He is persistent if nothing else, I will give him that much. My heart just hopes that one of these times he's actually correct but my brain keeps overruling with "you've seen this movie before". Even a broken clock is right twice a day unless it is a unsynchronized clock, from a different time zone, that doesn't do daylight saving ....

37 minutes ago, TRM said:

He is persistent if nothing else, I will give him that much. My heart just hopes that one of these times he's actually correct but my brain keeps overruling with "you've seen this movie before". Even a broken clock is right twice a day unless it is a unsynchronized clock, from a different time zone, that doesn't do daylight saving ....

They have until December 31st, otherwise I'm putting this whole forum on ignore for the sake of my sanity.

5 hours ago, rob.notenboom said:

This is a bit of a tangent, but one thing that I've been thinking about for a while, and that your comment reminded me of BBTB, is that a lot of the success or failure of a CanPL would be determined by the participation of millennials. And in some respects, to me that is a very encouraging thought for one simple reason. In my experience, millennials are more likely to embrace something different than the generations that preceded them. 

BERNIE SANDERS FOR CPL COMMISH 2018!

6 hours ago, matty said:

If you attach an ethnicity to Celtic it's Irish not Scottish. The club is also has Irish roots and supporters are big on things like Irish Republicanism.

True. It was actually formed by the Irish in Scotland because no team would hire a Catholic (it wasn't just Rangers back then that did that).

23 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

They have until December 31st, otherwise I'm putting this whole forum on ignore for the sake of my sanity.

You have sanity left? What type of Canadian supporter are you? We are all stark raving mad long long ago!!  :)

5 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

Mostly because they were apparently interested in an NASL team and backed off recently...that's it. Totera and Rollins are saying that it is a foreign team interested...Rollins has been explicit today that the group formerly being interested in NASL is speculation at this point (Rollins didn't sound confident in the source that told him it was formerly NASL interest, Tannenwald only said it was "someone" who said that it was the case).

Takeaway seems to be:

- The foreign group may or may not be formerly interested in NASL, and they are interested in a NON-Toronto Ontario market

- The Toronto ownership group is NOT the foreign group

- The foreign group, at this point, could be anyone

See this is odd to me. I mean, I think most are thinking Bob Young and the Ti-Cats are going to be behind Hamilton and if Toronto isn't your destination that leaves Ottawa with the Fury which will be contentious. That really just leaves London & Tri-City. 

12 minutes ago, -Hammer- said:

See this is odd to me. I mean, I think most are thinking Bob Young and the Ti-Cats are going to be behind Hamilton and if Toronto isn't your destination that leaves Ottawa with the Fury which will be contentious. That really just leaves London & Tri-City. 

Nah Thunder Bay. I look forward to "KRC Genk Thunder Bay"

Archived