Nik Ledgerwood - 12 years a pro in Germany

Ed_S

I've always been impressed with how Nik manages his career. He strikes me as a low maintenance, reliable pro - without any of the drama that often surrounds other athletes (in general). He's pretty quick to secure contracts with clubs, usually gets into good club situations where he plays regularly and always answers the call for the CMNT. I wish more players were like him.

Nik takes a lot of shit on this forum but has managed a decent career abroad and never fails to show up when asked.

http://de.m.fifa.com/worldcup/news/y=2015/m=8/news=kanadier-ledgerwood-ein-dutzend-jahre-in-deutschland-2670544.html

Good find, Ed.  Nik's a pro's pro and has worked hard to forge out a substantial career in a very competitive environment.  

I've always been impressed with how Nik manages his career. He strikes me as a low maintenance, reliable pro - without any of the drama that often surrounds other athletes (in general). He's pretty quick to secure contracts with clubs, usually gets into good club situations where he plays regularly and always answers the call for the CMNT. I wish more players were like him.

Which reminds me:  what's Jaime Peters up to nowadays?

Good find, Ed.  Nik's a pro's pro and has worked hard to forge out a substantial career in a very competitive environment.  

Which reminds me:  what's Jaime Peters up to nowadays?

You want more of our players to max out at third division soccer? I assume you want Canada to succeed in international soccer right? While I respect Nik's dedication to playing for Canada, if we are ever to become a competitive nation, guys like him, Ricketts and others can't be important parts of the program. It's harsh but it is true.

You want more of our players to max out at third division soccer? I assume you want Canada to succeed in international soccer right? While I respect Nik's dedication to playing for Canada, if we are ever to become a competitive nation, guys like him, Ricketts and others can't be important parts of the program. It's harsh but it is true.

It is harsh but I for one agree with you... It is a bit annoying to have so many players D3 might as well stay NA to play in the NASL/USL....

I know Canada doesn't have those top players yet but dang it is frustrating to see so many in D3 and some aren't even starting which sucks...

Well if the CSA is serious about improving youth development and more will be seeing players at D1 soon in the future.... hopefully.... Nah it will happen sooner rather then later....

Geesh, you even prefaced your comment with "he takes alot of shit" and it took all of 5 positive comments before it went negative.  I think for a guy with his physical skills he has done well to carve out himself a nice run as a pro.  Half the young guys we talk about on hear flame out and never put in 12 years as a pro and pick up 40 caps for their country.  YIPES! Its not his fault there aren't more talented canucks playing and the talent pool is shallow.  He has done what he could and I dont remember hearing any whining or suck holing about his club situation (ie Hoilett) taking precedence over country.  We should appreciate these kinds of guys more.  

Geesh, you even prefaced your comment with "he takes alot of shit" and it took all of 5 positive comments before it went negative.  I think for a guy with his physical skills he has done well to carve out himself a nice run as a pro.  Half the young guys we talk about on hear flame out and never put in 12 years as a pro and pick up 40 caps for their country.  YIPES! Its not his fault there aren't more talented canucks playing and the talent pool is shallow.  He has done what he could and I dont remember hearing any whining or suck holing about his club situation (ie Hoilett) taking precedence over country.  We should appreciate these kinds of guys more.  

Exactly.  

So, does anyone know what Peters is up to now?

I was 

I've been one of the people who have been critical of his national team play in the past. But he's grown on me as a solid, reliable, safe right back who shows up for Canada whenever he's called up. That deserves respect.

I'm in this camp.

The goal for our domestic league, if it ever comes to fruition should be for guys like Ledgerwood, Ricketts, Trafford etc. x20 hopefully.  If we could stock our pool with a bunch of Ledgerwoods and Ricketts level guys we would be in fantastic shape, there is always going to be one or two that break from the pack and become good players but if these types of guys in general were our "B"/domestic team guys we are looking good.  

The goal for our domestic league, if it ever comes to fruition should be for guys like Ledgerwood, Ricketts, Trafford etc. x20 hopefully.  If we could stock our pool with a bunch of Ledgerwoods and Ricketts level guys we would be in fantastic shape, there is always going to be one or two that break from the pack and become good players but if these types of guys in general were our "B"/domestic team guys we are looking good.  

+1 to this.

There is something strangely funny about crapping on a guy for maxxing out at third tier pro soccer, when most of our up and comers can barely eke out a pro career at all.

If we did have Ledgerwood's to call upon, we'd be calling guys from the Euro amateur leagues and the CPSL.

I don't speak German but I love how there's a Due South reference in the first sentence. What they couldn't think of a hockey reference? Or a maple syrup reference?

As for Nik he is exactly the kind of player I root for, he's always answered the call, accepts his role and seems to put in a good effort.

Just looked up his wiki page, he has 43 caps. He's in the same range as Geoff Aunger, Jim Brennan, John Catliff, Jason De Vos, Carl Fletcher, Paul James, Bob Lenarduzzi and Tomasz Radzinski. Surprising.

I don't speak German but I love how there's a Due South reference in the first sentence. What they couldn't think of a hockey reference? Or a maple syrup reference?

As for Nik he is exactly the kind of player I root for, he's always answered the call, accepts his role and seems to put in a good effort.

Just looked up his wiki page, he has 43 caps. He's in the same range as Geoff Aunger, Jim Brennan, John Catliff, Jason De Vos, Carl Fletcher, Paul James, Bob Lenarduzzi and Tomasz Radzinski. Surprising.

used to frustrate me so much watching Geoff Aunger.. His touch and control was worse than Ricketts

There is something strangely funny about crapping on a guy for maxxing out at third tier pro soccer, when most of our up and comers can barely eke out a pro career at all.

If we did have Ledgerwood's to call upon, we'd be calling guys from the Euro amateur leagues and the CPSL.

I don't think anyone was crapping on him. Some have stated, and I agree, we can't have a national team full of guys of his caliber. I respect the guy but we need to produce better players.

I think a lot of people here should know that IIRC he was on the fast track to the Bundesliga and was pointed out by Yallop? to be Canada's next great player but was sidelined by a serious knee injury that somewhat derailed his career, similar to Terry Dunfield.  So for those who crap on him shame on you for not knowing his history and for the fact that he is probably lucky he is still playing at all.

Did I get that right Ed?  My memory is getting worse as the years go by.  :)

I think a lot of people here should know that IIRC he was on the fast track to the Bundesliga and was pointed out by Yallop? to be Canada's next great player but was sidelined by a serious knee injury that somewhat derailed his career, similar to Terry Dunfield.  So for those who crap on him shame on you for not knowing his history and for the fact that he is probably lucky he is still playing at all.

Did I get that right Ed?  My memory is getting worse as the years go by.  :)

i dont recall this.  u sure youre not confusing ledgerwood with ryan gyaki, also from the Calgary Storm, former u20 captain, CSA youth player of the year in 2005, signed for sheffield and then hansa rostock, injured his knee and was never the same?

I don't recall major injuries being the reason Gyaki didn't make it.  I remember him dating a German super model and just never really taking his chance at Hansa Rostock.  He was even on our 2008 Olympic qualifying team IIRC but only made one sub appearance I think.  

Archived