Canada vs England - Friday May 29th in Hamilton

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the first soccer game I've been to in a couple years, and I am sitting here at work just getting unbelievably excited.

Edit: Just checked the Ticket Master site and, if I'm counting correctly, there's 228 seats left unsold. 

This is the first soccer game I've been to in a couple years, and I am sitting here at work just getting unbelievably excited.

Edit: Just checked the Ticket Master site and, if I'm counting correctly, there's 228 seats left unsold. 

A sold out THF in The Hammer is a great match to return to live soccer viewing, I'm not sure if you'll be able to get any of those "hipster designer craft beers" you like!

A sold out THF in The Hammer is a great match to return to live soccer viewing, I'm not sure if you'll be able to get any of those "hipster designer craft beers" you like!

They didn't for the Ti-Cats last year, but then again, the stadium wasn't done and had very limited amenities.

Hey folks! As JDub has mentioned, we checked out the Touchdown Pub and it seems like it would be a very good choice for a pre match meet up, mostly because of it's proximity to the ground! As John (JDub) has mentioned we need to get an idea if fellow V's are going to go there so it can be staffed appropriately, the date is getting closer, less than 2 weeks away, please post on here if you are going to join us at the pre game! Cheers!

Sorry for such a late response, I haven't posted in a couple years. I will be heading over to the Touchdown Pub with 3 others. Hope to arrive for 5:30.

Great game tonight.  They announced something like 23,100 in attendance.  Tim Horton's Field looks really good for soccer.  It's feels much larger than BMO field before the expansion.

Looking at the stands you couldn't tell there was that many people.  The concession lines never really got less than 20-30 minutes long because they only opened about half of them and ran out of food.  The organization of the stadium wasn't done well.

Interestingly there was a big "Soccer Hamilton" booth set up to discuss a professional team coming to Hamilton.  I went by but mostly they were looking for people to sign up for a draw with prizes and a mailing list.

Anyways I hope it looked good on TV; it was a really good time, concessions notwithstanding.

Well, now I know why Chapman and Belanger made the team.  They've added a dimension I don't recall seeing before.  Belanger had a bit of a rough start but once settled in she really added something.  If she can pick up any reasonable defensive skills she'll be a great addition.

Aside from the last five minutes, we owned England tonight.

All in all I had a good time, wish the crowd was a bit more raucous, but given this is the first Soccer event at an almost completed stadium, I can say I fault the crowd. All in all, great to come away with the wing, great I got to meet some of you guys in person after the game, hopefully this should help with anyone coming over to the pan ams and the timing and expectations are for getting here.

I thought Belanger did a great job, and obviously Schmidt was awesome.

Don't know about "owned" but a better than fair performance.  Have to be encouraged by the quality of the youth in this side, really.  Bit of a ways to go for every one of them but the future looks very promising.

Wonderful goal from Schmidt.  Since before the Olympics she's been one of the most popular players on the WNT in my household.  Every aspect of her game is peaking at the right time for us and we're going to need it. 

One criticism, and I always have to find one, but think the fitness is lacking a little.  Maybe I'm being harsh but it just felt that way as the match progressed, which is worrying.  Seven days to kick off.  Whatever they have now is what they'll be bringing.  There's no more to time to add anything to the tank (quite the opposite).

All right, two criticisms, but the 2nd has nothing to do with our ladies.  Not so sure about that pitch in Hamilton.  In all seriousness maybe it needs a litttle more time to break in.  **Duck**

All right, two criticisms, but the 2nd has nothing to do with our ladies.  Not so sure about that pitch in Hamilton.  In all seriousness maybe it needs a litttle more time to break in.  **Duck**

I didn't see any issue with the pitch. I didn't see a single odd bounce, or player injury or issue with it, save that it might have been slightly fast.

Anyways, as far as fitness, I was shocked at how immobile England was.

A big thank you to all of you people who came out to support our WNT in the first major soccer match in The Hammer for years! It was great to meet up with Voyageurs in my hometown, I hope everyone returns for The PanAms!

Anyways, as far as fitness, I was shocked at how immobile England was.

I agree, I think our team is very fit (no problems there) but there were a few on England who didn't look the part but I don't think too many of them had their tongues hanging out either.

I don't think our lapse near the end had anything to do with fitness.  I've been watching these girls a long time and they look pretty good to me.  Noticed Belanger seems fitter.  Always knew she had good wheels but I was also pleasantly surprised by Chapman, she can really move.

It was a very encouraging result with Chapman being a huge surprise for me, she never surrenders. Bringing in Belanger reminded me of when Hooper was put on defense in 2003. I thought that Tancredi was not very effective and perhaps should have been substituted. Playing Lawrence over Fleming was a surprise. Lawerence did well.

Does anyone know if this was, more or less, England's starting XI for the WWC? A guy at the bar last night was saying they were trying out some new girls and such, and I'm not sure if he was just making excuses  :lol:

Here are the betting odds for the top teams to win the cup. USA 3/1 GERMANY 10/3 FRANCE 9/2 BRASIL 8/1 JAPAN 8/1 CANADA 14/1 SWEDEN 16/1 ENGLAND 20/1 NORWAY 33/1. As per Bet 365, some site have Canada at 10/1.

I really enjoyed this match.  I was a little worried at first with all of the giveaways and stray passing but they really came into it, especially in the second half where they dominated.  Great goal by Schmidt, who had a great match.  She seem to pop up everywhere making key contributions to the match.  The BBC commentators were also very complimentary of her but also very high on Canada as a whole.  I didn't get a sense that they felt England fielded a weak team.  

What did people who attended think of THF for football?  I didn't even think about the ends being so far behind the net because of the CFL dimensions of the field.  I was a little shocking to see that at first.  How was the view from there?  Are the stands so far back for Fury matches in  Ottawa? 

THF seems a great venue for soccer, the patio was fun but it is a ways back from the goal, there's some stuff to sort out for concessions according to my friends, I had no problem purchasing a Heineken tall boy for $10.50!

Here are the betting odds for the top teams to win the cup. USA 3/1 GERMANY 10/3 FRANCE 9/2 BRASIL 8/1 JAPAN 8/1 CANADA 14/1 SWEDEN 16/1 ENGLAND 20/1 NORWAY 33/1. As per Bet 365, some site have Canada at 10/1.

Have Japan fallen off the lead pack so much, or is it just a lack of love from the betters?  Personally, I would rate their odds ahead of France, and well ahead of Brazil.

"Anyways, as far as fitness, I was shocked at how immobile England was."
"I wonder if England was nursing some jetlag."

"Before the game Sampson said he was realistic in terms of his side’s chances against the World Cup hosts, given that England only arrived in Canada on Monday night and are still adjusting to the 5-hour time difference.  The players are still a little bit tired, a little bit jet-lagged so we probably won't be able to go full cylinder but it will be a great run out for us."

Highlights are here:

I came back from the UK on Monday like they did.  Yes it would have affected them but how much is debatable.  In another couple days they will be full measure.

Archived