Call up prediction versus Jamaica

Obinna

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My point was that the "Bekker doesn't even get on the pitch for TFC, why is he playing for the MNT" question may not be entirely indicative of Bekker's talent or the quality of CMNT players available.  It assumes that someone knows what they are doing, which may not be an entirely watertight assumption.

This is a great point.

An example: for a couple of weeks Nelsen was trotting out Dike for the garbage minutes near the end of a match. Dike always looked slow, out of shape, not really match fit and not really ready to return from his injury. Than this week DeRosario finally gets into a game and he looked like he should have been the first attacking sub all season.

Bekker is one of the few TFC players that can make an occasional decent attacking play. I thought he was starting to improve on the defensive side. Besides when did it become mandatory that every attacking player also have to be a defender?

Bekker is one of the few TFC players that can make an occasional decent attacking play. I thought he was starting to improve on the defensive side. Besides when did it become mandatory that every attacking player also have to be a defender?

I think Bekker is at his best in a tandem holding role, teamed with a stronger destroyer/ball winner/even box to box type, where he mainly keeps the possession rolling with quick and safe distribution.  That's where he and Piette stood out at the Olympic qualifiers.  Based on what I have seen him so far in his career, I don't see him as an attacking mid type guy.  A more important area of his game is his dead ball service because that's our MNT's best chance of scoring.  Floro knows that and he can be a contributor even though he hasn't played any meaningful first team club action since June.

How long is Bekker's contract for at TFC?  I'm betting his advisors have been actively looking to find him another club.

I could actually see him on a mid to bottom table Eredivisie team. Just because his skill set isn't conducive to MLS doesn't mean he wouldn't survive top flight football in Holland. I think the second division would be too low, but certainly it would be much easier to get minutes at that level.

An example: for a couple of weeks Nelsen was trotting out Dike for the garbage minutes near the end of a match. Dike always looked slow, out of shape, not really match fit and not really ready to return from his injury. Than this week DeRosario finally gets into a game and he looked like he should have been the first attacking sub all season.

+ 1

IMO, Nelson is a horrendous manager (top 3 worse in league, if not the worst). With the talent on that roster they should be fighting for the supporters shield, not desperately trying to survive to make the playoffs. You could argue the injuries etc. but you could also argue that TFC has blown multiple, multiple, multiple leads. 

I don't think ti's a question of "trusting" one's assessment over another's. They both employ very different styles. Bekker fits a Floro midfield cause he doesn't have to play box-to-box. He's a square peg in a round hole at TFC, but I guess that's part of being a pro, so he's got to adapt, which probably isn't bad for his development overall.

Well said, IMO Bekker does have a a nice skill set.  The fact he still has some more years in his legs, Bekker has way more upside compared to downside.  Also, 18-36 months is a very long time in terms of soccer years.   I still feel Bekker can develop into a quality reserve player for CMNT, or perhaps more.

As for now, I put my trust in Floro, if he sees something in Bekker, I do not, that is fine. I am not at the training camps etc. so will support Floro's decisions.

I agree with what has been said with respect to Bekker.  Hopefully now that Nelson is out of TFC we'll have a coach who can actually try getting the best of their players and not play rigid counter-attacking hoofball.

I haven't been a fan of Nelson.  Not saying he's the worst coach out there but I think he was inexperienced and should have learned somewhere else before being given the reigns at TFC.

As for now, I put my trust in Floro, if he sees something in Bekker, I do not, that is fine. I am not at the training camps etc. so will support Floro's decisions.

I'm of the same opinion but if improvement isn't happening (and I guess that depends on one's definition of "improvement"), then some scrutiny of the Spaniard is warranted.

I'm of the same opinion but if improvement isn't happening (and I guess that depends on one's definition of "improvement"), then some scrutiny of the Spaniard is warranted.

+1... A re-evaluation after the Gold Cup is a decent assessment.

Anyways, fired up to see a match vs a team in our region, even if it is only a friendly, still important.

Jason deVos on Russell Tiebert:

Teibert's role in the team on Saturday was important for Vancouver, and it was on display for all to see in the first half as he did some excellent defensive work to nullify Diego Valeri. But if the first half was a plus for Teibert, the second half highlighted the concern I have with his overall game.

When Vancouver are at their best, their three central midfielders all stand out. Laba provides excellent defensive protection, Morales gets on the ball and is the creative fulcrum of the team, and Gershon Koffie provides power, athleticism and excellent ball retention. Those three players complement each other really well. Yet with Teibert in a central role in place of the injured Koffie, the Whitecaps failed to click.

My worry for Teibert is that he suffers from a case of being "good not great". His greatest asset is his fitness, but that isn't really a defining characteristic for a central midfielder. The ability to run all day is considered par for the course in the modern game – every midfielder is fit.

It is the other things that they do (within the framework of the team's tactical approach) that make players valuable. Teibert is a good passer of the ball, but not in the same class as Morales. Teibert is a good defensive screen, but nowhere near as good as Laba. Teibert can run all day, but he isn't as powerful, athletic or strong in possession of the ball as Koffie.

Teibert doesn't excel in any of the areas that one would normally categorize midfielders, which is what led me to state during the broadcast of the game on TSN that he "doesn't impact the game". It may seem at face value to be a blanket statement, but when one considers it in the context of what Robinson needs his midfielders to do in his chosen tactical approach, it becomes very clear.

Teibert is not better than the other options Robinson normally has at his disposal, and must improve or he will be in danger of forever being second choice.

^ It's a fair assessment at this point in time, I think. He is, however, still 21 and has two assets note mentioned in the critique: he is left-footed and an excellent dead-ball hitter, neither of which the Caps nor the MNT have in any great supply.

As Coach Carl mentioned a year or two ago, RT would do well to model his game after Will Johnson's. Except for the allstar accolade in 2009, Will didn't really emerge as a league standout until his mid-20's at Portland, and he tended to be tried out in multiple midfield roles over the years before finding his ideal position (and complimentary players) in Portland. I'd give RT until at least 24 to see what he will ultimately become; I think the complete unwavering confidence of his club and this snub at national level will be good for his overall career development. It's actually a massive plus that he wasn't at a poor club like a TFC or DC of years past where he would have probably been an everyday starter (like he was for a short spell of MLS Year One) as there might have been the risk of some complacency on his part. As it stands, he is one of the hardest working players I have ever seen, at practice or for the full 90 minutes and he seems to gobble up constructive criticism. I am not worried about him in the least.

Why are we even wasting opportunities on players who are either personally not committed, or with a team that's not committed, to the camp? If we wanted a fullback I'm sure Eddie Edward would have exploded for a chance to show his stuff at last, and FC Edmonton would have been proud as you like to let him go!

Why are we even wasting opportunities on players who are either personally not committed, or with a team that's not committed, to the camp? If we wanted a fullback I'm sure Eddie Edward would have exploded for a chance to show his stuff at last, and FC Edmonton would have been proud as you like to let him go!

I agree. Is Morgan really any better than Edward at this point? If Floro is going by current skill and not potential and youth, then I'd have to say Edward has looked better for the past 2 years or so.

I don't rate Morgan, so no great loss to the MNT. But why does TFC need a guy that hasn't played a meaningful minute in years?

Because the coach that hasn't given him a meaningful minute in years, despite playing worse players on the back line, has been fired. Presumably the new coach wants him available.

Archived