Bryan Cristante

Sam

I hope that whenever we get a new coach, that individual begins to pursue him hard. I want to get this guy before we begin the next cycle of qualifying.

I haven't watched a ton from him, but he looks like the type that might have the quality to fit into the Atiba Hutchinson role. I really don't think Straith or Edgar have enough quality in that position, but this guy might. 

The best case scenario for us would be for him to come on board while Hutch is still around, allowing for a smooth transition, rather than an abrupt one. It's an important position.

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, nolando said:

I've steered clear of this and the Ferreira threads because (despite being a hardcore MNT fan for most of my life) a man can only have his hopes crushed oh so many times. But this story is really fascinating, high stakes drama, and I see this fellow as having ambition (and potential) more like young Vittoria than Arfield. I strongly suspect he would stay away from Canada's mess until the mood struck him in his late 20's, if at all.

I don't see him as a hopes crushed kind of guy. He was born in Italy after all. I keep following his career because I think it is intriguing that we might get another (after Arfield) useful player out of sheer luck.

In the meantime, the midfield situation at Pescara has shuffled slightly. Alberto Aquilani didn't seem to fit in and he has left for Sassuolo. Pescara has brought in former Ghana international and AC Milan player Sulley Muntari. We will see if that affects Cristante's playing time. Pescara has still not won a match in Serie A this season.

1 minute ago, canta15 said:

why do you think that?

Just a feeling. I think most would agree it's starting to look like he'll be a low level Serie A guy, likely to play for bottom to mid table teams, and that's not exactly what the Italian national team wants. He seems to want to be an international player and Canada will offer him that.

2 hours ago, matty said:

Just a feeling. I think most would agree it's starting to look like he'll be a low level Serie A guy, likely to play for bottom to mid table teams, and that's not exactly what the Italian national team wants. He seems to want to be an international player and Canada will offer him that.

That's my read on the situation, as well. 

1 hour ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

He's in the position where he is a good player and plays at a good level (Serie A), but very likely isn't good enough for the Italian National Team.

...and then Canada sneaks up. "oh, Hi!"

and then Canada says the wrong name

9 hours ago, matty said:

What is his connection to Canada again? Mother or father? Let's just hope that parent is as positive about him playing for Canada as Arfield's father was for him to play for Canada.

Question is at what age will he give up on Italy if he does not become good enough. Beginning of next cycle he will be 24. I think it is more realistic he joins us that cycle if we make it to the hex. Similar to what Jonathan De Guzman and Hoilett stated before

1 hour ago, canta15 said:

Question is at what age will he give up on Italy if he does not become good enough. Beginning of next cycle he will be 24. I think it is more realistic he joins us that cycle if we make it to the hex. Similar to what Jonathan De Guzman and Hoilett stated before

He might but he does seem interested in international soccer and has (iirc) expressed an interest in playing outside of Italy both of which Canada offers.

Unlike De Guzman and Hoilett, Cristante doesn't seem to really be in the middle of a multiple nation debate as it seems unlikely to most that he will ever earn a call-up from Italy.

He also follows a certain association on Twitter.

It could take a few years for him to join Canada but it'll likely speed up if the next coach is to his liking as I'm sure he sees himself forming something solid with Arfield, Hoilett and Larin.

So much for flying under the radar:

The 50 best young footballers in Italy

https://www.theguardian.com/football/the-gentleman-ultra/2017/jan/24/50-best-young-footballers-italy-serie-a

Big things were expected of Bryan Cristante when he burst on to the scene with Milan. He made his debut as a 16-year-old in the Champions League in December 2011, becoming Milan’s youngest ever player. He made his Serie A debut two years later, replacing Kaká in what many viewed as a symbolic passing of the torch.

Several months later he received his first start against Atalanta, and capped off a promising display with a tremendous goal, rifling the ball into the net via the post from outside the box. It looked like a star had been born.

However things didn’t quite go to plan. Nine months later he was sold to Benfica, but he never really settled with the Portuguese giants and was loaned back to Italy. He spent the remainder of last season with Palermo before moving to Pescara, where he is slowly winning back the plaudits he earned three years ago. It feels as if he has been around for a long time but he is still only 21 so hopefully he will be able to push on and fulfil his talent.

11 minutes ago, kohanz said:

So much for flying under the radar:

The 50 best young footballers in Italy

https://www.theguardian.com/football/the-gentleman-ultra/2017/jan/24/50-best-young-footballers-italy-serie-a

Big things were expected of Bryan Cristante when he burst on to the scene with Milan. He made his debut as a 16-year-old in the Champions League in December 2011, becoming Milan’s youngest ever player. He made his Serie A debut two years later, replacing Kaká in what many viewed as a symbolic passing of the torch.

Several months later he received his first start against Atalanta, and capped off a promising display with a tremendous goal, rifling the ball into the net via the post from outside the box. It looked like a star had been born.

However things didn’t quite go to plan. Nine months later he was sold to Benfica, but he never really settled with the Portuguese giants and was loaned back to Italy. He spent the remainder of last season with Palermo before moving to Pescara, where he is slowly winning back the plaudits he earned three years ago. It feels as if he has been around for a long time but he is still only 21 so hopefully he will be able to push on and fulfil his talent.

Not shocking he has earned some praise for his pescara run but the general consensus seems to be that while good milan made the right move selling him and that he'll be a starter for smaller clubs.

23 minutes ago, Keegan said:

I think our best bet is if he stays out of Italy.  If he does, I think he's as good as ours as we all know they like to favour domestic players and he is a long shot to begin with.  

He has said he wants to play outside of Italy ?

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

I think our best bet is if he stays out of Italy.  If he does, I think he's as good as ours as we all know they like to favour domestic players and he is a long shot to begin with.  

Its not that they favour those who play domestically. Its the fact that most of the best Italian players play in Italy 

Edit: If you are referring to Giovinco. They favour those who stay in Europe, like most big teams

He's moving on from Pescara!  (according to A Bola in Portugal)

Will now be loaned out to Atalanta.   (for 18 months, with an option to extend it another 12)

Will move from the last place team, to the one in 6th place!!  It will be interesting to see how much he can get on the field!!

6 hours ago, Acid-Tone said:

He's moving on from Pescara!  (according to A Bola in Portugal)

Will now be loaned out to Atalanta.   (for 18 months, with an option to extend it another 12)

Will move from the last place team, to the one in 6th place!!  It will be interesting to see how much he can get on the field!!

http://www.football-italia.net/97370/atalanta-pick-cristante

Atalanta have had a great start to the season with a squad composed or primarily young, Italian players. However they just sold midfielder Roberto Gagliardini to Inter this transfer window and highly regarded Frank Kessie has been away with Ivory Coast at the African Cup of Nations (Chelsea and Manchester United have been apparently looking at him). So I am not surprised that Atalanta are looking for potential depth/replacements.

On 1/24/2017 at 7:39 PM, Acid-Tone said:

Just now, masster said:

Cristante to Atalanta is official. Loan from Benfica with an option for a permanent transfer.
http://www.football-italia.net/97495/official-atalanta-sign-bryan-cristante

http://twitter.com/Atalanta_BC/status/824939712578256896

http://www.atalanta.it/site/paginalive/comunicati-dal-club/Stagione-2016-2017/2017-01/20-01-Preso-Cristante.html

"a titolo temporaneo con opzione per il prolungamento del prestito anche per la stagione 2017-2018,"

It would seem that it's only a loan until the end of the season; if Cristante doesn't do well, Atalanta don't have to keep him for 2017-2018. As mentioned by @Acid-Tone there is the option for another 12 months ( 2018-2019), which is the "buy" option - his remaining contract time at Benfica.

Archived