Bryan Cristante

Sam

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Obinna said:

I like the optimism but IIRC there are several Atalanta players who've been capped this year by the senior team. They have similar resumes,

1) Cristante was good for Atalanta but never a key player; he had more minutes when he played for Pescara (and we know how things ended for them! - back to Serie B).

2) Those Atalanta players....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrea_Conti_(footballer,_born_1994)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrea_Petagna
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alberto_Grassi
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mattia_Caldara

...all made the U-21 team. He didn't. Some got capped by the senior team as you said - others just got called into the senior team's camp. You got to be good enough to make the "U21" squad first. Cristante wasn't.

On 1/10/2014 at 7:27 PM, jpg75 said:

The only chance we have is that he's an early bloomer (6'1" 175lbs. at 16 yrs old) and is deemed to not live up to his potential before getting a full Italy cap in a qualifier.

Almost 3½ years later it seems we have our answer.

2 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

1) Cristante was good for Atalanta but never a key player; he had more minutes when he played for Pescara (and we know how things ended for them! - back to Serie B).

2) Those Atalanta players....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrea_Conti_(footballer,_born_1994)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrea_Petagna
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alberto_Grassi
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mattia_Caldara

...all made the U-21 team. He didn't. Some got capped by the senior team as you said - others just got called into the senior team's camp. You got to be good enough to make the "U21" squad first. Cristante wasn't.

Almost 3½ years later it seems we have our answer.

Good post. Can you comment on whether or not any of those Atalanta players were "key" players?

I will add that U-21 is not a requirement. Sure, it is an indicator that a player may end up with the senior team, but nothing is cast in stone. I am more optimistic now that he's missed out, of course, but I would say very cautiously optimistic. 

1 hour ago, SpecialK said:

I truly believe, if Canada wins the Gold Cup this year, Bryan will sign up for Canada ( if he hasn't already). 

If he had signed up already he would he on gold cup roster. 

While he isn't capped by Italy he is free game. Expect he is firmly sat on the fence with his feet dangling to the italian side until we can convince him otherwise through progress or Italy becomes an almost no go for him.

• 1 month later...

Just came across this from June 26 (seems to have been lost in Gold Cup fever) http://gianlucadimarzio.com/it/cristante-tra-il-portogallo-ed-il-ritorno-in-a-questa-atalanta-vale-piu-del-benfica-vi-racconto-il-delirio-al-palermo

Last paragraph is interesting. Translated via Google so it's hella rough: Finally, the ability to dress the Canadian shirt thanks to Toronto's father: "Yes, Canadian Canadian asked me for availability right away, I told him that I would have thought about it. In Canada, they have great projects, they want to get away from the US and make a league of them all. They also asked to be able to organize the World Cups in 2026. But it is clear that point to the blue jersey ... ".

He still seems very set on repping Italy (likely thanks to his recent successes) but seems open to repping Canada and seems to be keeping a close eye on what's going on over here beyond just 2026 (or is at least being told what's happening by the CSA).

Here's the original Italian if anyone who speaks it wants to give a cleaner translation.

Infine, la possibilità di vestire la maglia canadese grazie al padre di Toronto: “Sì, il ct canadese mi ha chiesto la disponibilità fin da subito, gli ho risposto che ci avrei pensato. In Canada hanno grandi progetti, vogliono staccarsi dagli USA e fare una lega tutta loro. Hanno anche chiesto di poter organizzare i Mondiali del 2026. Ma è chiaro che punto alla maglia azzurra…”

On 06/06/2017 at 8:27 PM, SpecialK said:

I truly believe, if Canada wins the Gold Cup this year, Bryan will sign up for Canada ( if he hasn't already). 

Minimum 3 more years to go until you can expect Cristante to join us. Even then, he'd have to struggle to establish himself as a legit. Serie A starting midfielder to turn his back on his dream of playing for Italy so early.

4 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Minimum 3 more years to go until you can expect Cristante to join us. Even then, he'd have to struggle to establish himself as a legit. Serie A starting midfielder to turn his back on his dream of playing for Italy so early.

I think there's a chance, depending on how things go this season, that he joins sooner but pretty much agree. I don't really expect to see him in a Canada jersey until the next WCQ cycle group stage.

No surprise here. Always knew he wouldn't give up on Italy that easily. He will give up around the same age Arfield came.

3 hours ago, canta15 said:

...He will give up around the same age Arfield came.

I don't know if he's comparable to Arfield, he's been playing at higher levels for his whole caree and has spent time with much bigger clubs (mean while Arfield spent almost a decade moving up). Cristante is also chasing a much bigger fish with Italy. The revelation that's he's on the outside of the national team program should hit him a lot sooner than 28.

1 hour ago, matty said:

I don't know if he's comparable to Arfield, he's been playing at higher levels for his whole caree and has spent time with much bigger clubs (mean while Arfield spent almost a decade moving up). Cristante is also chasing a much bigger fish with Italy. The revelation that's he's on the outside of the national team program should hit him a lot sooner than 28.

Exactly, since Italy is a harder team to make, Cristante playing at a higher level make the situation still similar to Arfield. Just that Arfield played on lesser teams but tried to play for a lesser national team

3 hours ago, canta15 said:

Exactly, since Italy is a harder team to make, Cristante playing at a higher level make the situation still similar to Arfield. Just that Arfield played on lesser teams but tried to play for a lesser national team

Cristante has spent his whole career at the highest levels since he was what 16 or 17 and rode a massive amount of hype and was basically ac Milan saviour. He then went to benfica and seeming crashed hard hurting him with Italy and he's only recently looking like he might be back in that picture however he is very aware he is rated lowly and has been following an alternative option for international soccer since he was in his teens and on several occasions has talked about an interest in playing for Canada because he knows the competition at the top is tough as fuck and has known for years. He has also visited Canada several times for both professional and non professional reasons.

Arfield over the course of a decade slowly worked his way up from a relegated SPL team to league one to the championship and then EPL. He finally reached a strong level after a long build failed to gain get in the national team picture. He at 27 made his alternative aware he exists and had never been in Canada prior to march 2016.

Exact same right?

6 minutes ago, matty said:

He has also visited Canada several times for both professional and non professional reasons.

Where'd you see that?

2 hours ago, canta15 said:

Where'd you see that?

He's been to Toronto for International Champions Cup games two times with Benfica and Milan and according to a few other TFC press box folks he (with family) have made several trips to BC. Apparently the first time anyone talked to him about repping Canada was on a trip to BC.

I hope someday soon the Canadian soccer media would cover him more, maybe do a interview with him. He's a talented young player, playing and starting in highest league in Italy for a team who is top 4-5 in the league. All Canadian fans should know who Bryan Cristante is. Maybe it would help  in convincing him to play if the Canadian sports media took notice to him and start covering him. 

18 hours ago, matty said:

Just came across this from June 26 (seems to have been lost in Gold Cup fever) http://gianlucadimarzio.com/it/cristante-tra-il-portogallo-ed-il-ritorno-in-a-questa-atalanta-vale-piu-del-benfica-vi-racconto-il-delirio-al-palermo

Last paragraph is interesting. Translated via Google so it's hella rough: Finally, the ability to dress the Canadian shirt thanks to Toronto's father: "Yes, Canadian Canadian asked me for availability right away, I told him that I would have thought about it. In Canada, they have great projects, they want to get away from the US and make a league of them all. They also asked to be able to organize the World Cups in 2026. But it is clear that point to the blue jersey ... ".

He still seems very set on repping Italy (likely thanks to his recent successes) but seems open to repping Canada and seems to be keeping a close eye on what's going on over here beyond just 2026 (or is at least being told what's happening by the CSA).

Here's the original Italian if anyone who speaks it wants to give a cleaner translation.

Infine, la possibilità di vestire la maglia canadese grazie al padre di Toronto: “Sì, il ct canadese mi ha chiesto la disponibilità fin da subito, gli ho risposto che ci avrei pensato. In Canada hanno grandi progetti, vogliono staccarsi dagli USA e fare una lega tutta loro. Hanno anche chiesto di poter organizzare i Mondiali del 2026. Ma è chiaro che punto alla maglia azzurra…”

Here is my translation of that last paragraph:

Yes, the Canadian coach has asked whether I would be available immediately. I told him I would think about it. Canada has big plans, they want to detach themselves from the USA and have a league of their own. They have also asked to organize the 2026 World Cup. But it is clear that my target is the blue shirt (Italy)

47 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

I hope someday soon the Canadian soccer media would cover him more, maybe do a interview with him. He's a talented young player, playing and starting in highest league in Italy for a team who is top 4-5 in the league. All Canadian fans should know who Bryan Cristante is. Maybe it would help  in convincing him to play if the Canadian sports media took notice to him and start covering him. 

Alright I'll bite. Atalanta is not a top 4-5 team in the league. They had an oulier of a season and most likely will finish midtable this season

48 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Also a bit of a chicken-egg thing.  If he plays for us, I hope he is a superstar.  If he ends up playing for Italy, I couldn't give a shit if anyone supports him.  

I would rather not hype up the next Canadian-eligible guy who plays for someone else.  I would rather reserve a seat on the hype train for someone who wants to play for us.

• 2 weeks later...

Canada needs him so bad !! Out of all the duels, he's the type of player Canada has been missing for years! He alone would  revolutionize team Canada. I love Davies and he's going to be a dynamic player, but Cristante is 22 years old and a  solid player playing in one of the best league in the world. He can be that # 10 we need and want. 

3 hours ago, matty said:

Thought: what are the odds he gets called to a friendly and aftet earning a single Italian cap he switches the following day?

Lorenzo Pellegrini -21
Roberto Gagliardini - 23
Federico Bernardeschi - 23
Leonardo Spinazzola - 24
Marco Verratti - 24
Marco Benassi - 22
Simone Verdi - 25 

And those players are just the under 25 and just quickly found on recent call up on Wikipedia haha. I don't think he's getting called up. I hope I'm right, and he's starting with Canada asap 

Archived