Bryan Cristante

Sam

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gong show continues in palermo with coaching. Schelotto is back in argentina as he can't legally coach Palermo as he doesnt have his licence apparently. Apparently he has been "coaching" from the sidelines up till now through another staff member and not on the bench. Wonder what that means for Cristante. 

Youth team coach Giovanni Bosi will be taking over for the short term

3 hours ago, 1zzurri said:

Schelotto is back in argentina as he can't legally coach Palermo as he doesnt have his licence apparently.

Madness!

Also, Cristante played the 2nd half of the Italy U21 vs Italy B (U21 won it 5 -2). He did not score. Not sure about assists or his play (good/bad).

http://www.palermo24.net/nazionale/under-21-45-minuti-in-campo-per-bryan-cristante-48761

• 3 weeks later...

Just a general update on him:

February 18th: Walter De Vecchi, a fomer coach of his at Milan gave him a backhanded compliment by saying that he had good tactical awareness and played well - but was not the quickest of players. http://www.mediagol.it/palermo/de-vecchi-conosco-bene-cristante-legge-bene-il-gioco-ma-ha-un-difetto/

February 27th: As crazy as he may be, Maurizio Zamparini is being faithful and sticking by Cristante, telling fans to be patient as he readapts to Italian football and Serie A. http://desporto.sapo.pt/futebol/liga_italiana/artigo/2016/02/27/presidente-do-palermo-pede-paciencia-para-cristante

March 2: (Edit - some of this may have been reposted on media sites later and may originally date from early February) For some reason he has mentioned his future ambitions again, saying he wants to play abroad, perhaps in the English Premier League which he is a fan of, but wouldn't say no if he was brought back to Milan.

Also, he likes hip-hop and collects baseball caps. :)  http://www.mediagol.it/palermo/cristante-il-mio-futuro-mi-vedo-allestero-in-premier-non-direi-mai-no-al-milan/

My take:

1) This is a remarkably un-Italian-National-Team-like thing to say as others have mentioned because they tend to look at domestic players. If you look at the Wikipedia page for the senior team, including the lastest squad and recent call-ups, 40 play in Italy and 7 abroad (including Toronto's Gio). You basically have to be "Gio level good" to get a call for Azzurri whilst playing outside the country. Cristante is far from that level.

2) I've never heard an English language interview with him but clearly he is likely proficient in English if he sees himself trying to move to England and likes certain aspects of North American culture. If he commits to Canada, we should get him a custom #CanMNT/Voyageurs Snapback Cap. ;)

8 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

1) This is a remarkably un-Italian-National-Team-like thing to say as others have mentioned because they tend to look at domestic players. If you look at the Wikipedia page for the senior team, including the lastest squad and recent call-ups, 40 play in Italy and 7 abroad (including Toronto's Gio). You basically have to be "Gio level good" to get a call for Azzurri whilst playing outside the country. Cristante is far from that level.

It's not that they favour players who play in there domestic league. All of their good players play in their domestic league. Other than Verratti, Motta, Sirigu, Darmian and Giovinco the rest of the players abroad are not good enough to get called. If Cristante thrives in the BPL (like Balotelli) he will get a call up.

• 2 weeks later...

Very minor update:

1) He is still riding the pine with Palermo.

2) Italy's U-21 squad should be announced tomorrow or Friday. I wonder if he will be there.

3) Old news I didn't know about until now:

He follows @CanadaSoccerEN on twitter. If he joins us canta15 called it first. :)

On 1/25/2016 at 7:31 PM, canta15 said:

Like I said in the Canadians abroad thread, a player wouldn't follow a team on twitter unless he was fully committed.

Also, back in September 2014 he said he thought about playing for Canada but took the more difficult path instead. http://www.record.xl.pt/futebol/futebol-nacional/liga-nos/benfica/detalhe/bryan-cristante-pensou-jogar-pelo-canada-902540.html

20 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Very minor update:

2) Italy's U-21 squad should be announced tomorrow or Friday. I wonder if he will be there.

He follows @CanadaSoccerEN on twitter. If he joins us canta15 called it first. :)

Also, back in September 2014 he said he thought about playing for Canada but took the more difficult path instead. http://www.record.xl.pt/futebol/futebol-nacional/liga-nos/benfica/detalhe/bryan-cristante-pensou-jogar-pelo-canada-902540.html

Wow this excites me, as the fact that he follows @CanadaSoccerEN really shows that he recognizes and expresses some interest for the national team. Good news

2 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Very minor update:

My comment was more towards Arfield and I have no idea why Cristante would follow Canada on twitter.

He is never committing to Canada within the next 3 years at least. Tons of time on his side, already in the Italian youth set up. No way he will switch back to us unless he has been told firmly he won't be part of the Italy set up in the future .. a statement said by 
no international management team to a potentially useful player, ever..or he gets to his mid-to late 20's without a call up.

Twitter shows eventually we could be the plan b). 

Don't think anyone should be too excited by the Third unknown call up.. was likely Koffie if a miracle occurred with Fifa or Leutwiler. 

17 minutes ago, toontownman said:

He is never committing to Canada within the next 3 years at least. Tons of time on his side, already in the Italian youth set up. No way he will switch back to us unless he has been told firmly he won't be part of the Italy set up in the future .. a statement said by 
no international management team to a potentially useful player, ever..or he gets to his mid-to late 20's without a call up.

Twitter shows eventually we could be the plan b). 

Don't think anyone should be too excited by the Third unknown call up.. was likely Koffie if a miracle occurred with Fifa or Leutwiler. 

Three years is a long time and a lot can happen so I would never say anything definitive. I think it's unlikely BC commits anytime soon but if he's not playing regularly and misses out on a string of U21 matches I could see him committing to Canada, especially if we somehow make the Hex.

31 minutes ago, toontownman said:

He is never committing to Canada within the next 3 years at least.

I don't think it's likely he's VicMont's "possible 3rd man of 2016" but he has yet to play a competitive game for the U21s. Zero minutes. Hasn't even been called into the squad (excluding the recent friendly vs Italy B last month ) since September, and that time he didn't even make the bench. His Wikipedia says he played one game for the U-20s. He isn't the hot prospect he once was. Young players (all players actually) want to play to prove themselves and he can't because he is getting no playing time for club and country.

On 1/10/2014 at 7:27 PM, jpg75 said:

The only chance we have is that he's an early bloomer (6'1" 175lbs. at 16 yrs old) and is deemed to not live up to his potential before getting a full Italy cap in a qualifier.

A quote from 2 years ago and I think this is exactly what is happening.

It really depends on what the coach told him at that February game.

17 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:
1 hour ago, zeelaw1555362314 said:

I'm doing my honeymoon in Italy this summer.  Should I try and see if I can find him? Maybe take some pictures outside stadiums with the picture #Cristante4Canada?

Great idea. We should start a campaign to honey dick this guy into playing for Canada. In fact we should be honey dicking all the fence sitters; send them V's swag, make a banner geared to them and take group shots with it at games, start twitter campaign etc.

2 hours ago, jpg75 said:

Great idea. We should start a campaign to honey dick this guy into playing for Canada. In fact we should be honey dicking all the fence sitters; send them V's swag, make a banner geared to them and take group shots with it at games, start twitter campaign etc.

You know...I agreed with and said this kinda stuff before, but not anymore.

I don't know who said it on this forum but the gist of what they said is "we should focus on creating banners, sending swag, ect to the players who are currently committed to the program" and post that, have them repost things to show the kind of support they(fence sitters) could receive if they joined the CMNT program - and for me as CMNT supporter, my allegiance is in supporting CMNT players, not fence sitters. Those tactics I personally think should be left for club supporters.

Need start the priority (current players) before the secondary (fence sitters) quiet frankly. And I haven't seen it done. 

I.E. Someone just had a kid - we should send them a shirt or jersey something. Borjan's getting married - we should send him something in congrats.

I'm a man who lives by "E=MC2", and beside theory of relativity I translate it to my day-to-day living. In whatever I do it has to equal to something positive, regardless if it doesn't look right or make quiet sense at the time.

Sending a bunch of shit to a current CMNT player, they receive love, and more times then not shows signs of gratitude, and allegiance through their play.

Sending shit to a fence sitter, who in the end reps the shit and plays for another country...equals to a waste of shit.

Archived