Montreal Impact 2014 roster thread

Alberto7

Montreal keeps feeding those rumours by not coming forward with their decision. And I honestly can't imagine him coming back. Which is shame cause it's not so easy being coach at the Impact. Not with the French and Italian and the Europan players and Saputo constantly in your back.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I find this appointment strange. Though if wiki is to be believed, he did have a 44% winning percentage with the Fire. That's pretty good for MLS.

misleading, because last season, Klopas rode on Magee's out of the blue hot season. Chicago was almost as bad as DCU prior to Magee trade, and you take away Magee, Chicago still is bad

misleading, because last season, Klopas rode on Magee's out of the blue hot season. Chicago was almost as bad as DCU prior to Magee trade, and you take away Magee, Chicago still is bad

You can say that about a lot of players on a lot of teams..How many points less would Vancouver have had without Camilo, the Impact without Di Vaio, The Timbers without Valeri etc. Quite a few teams rely heavily on 1 or 2 players, at least Klopas had the foresight to trade for Magee (it was actually a steal as they gave up almost nothing..) you have to give him some credit for that...

You can say that about a lot of players on a lot of teams..How many points less would Vancouver have had without Camilo, the Impact without Di Vaio, The Timbers without Valeri etc. Quite a few teams rely heavily on 1 or 2 players, at least Klopas had the foresight to trade for Magee (it was actually a steal as they gave up almost nothing..) you have to give him some credit for that...

Okay, it is one thing to acknowledge that many teams rely on 1 guy to earn them points, but it is another thing to suggest that all situations are equal in this regard.

Chicago was arguably the most dependent on one guy. Portland is a terrible example as they had many contributors: Will Johnson, Ryan Johnson, Diego Chara (moreso for his defensive work in midfield) Etc. The Timbers were one of the most well balanced teams and got their results from team efforts and not Valeri rescuing them.

Montreal is another one. Sure Di Vaio bagged plenty of goals but the Impact had a well balanced starting 11 for most of the season. When they fell out of form, it was because they started losing key pieces to injury (ex. Bernier), and not because Di Vaio's goals dried up. So did the Impact really live and die with Di Vaio?

Regardless, this coaching change is strange and it will be interesting to see how it turns out. I hope it works out.

In addition, Magee is an average-ass player who had by far the best season he has ever had or will ever had. Luck is not the same as foresight.

I'd love to hear what MLS players think of that assessment. Before this season MLS players were polled and they rated him as the most underrated player in the league. He was also a key player in back to back championships for the Galaxy. Average players don't do that because if they did they wouldn't be average, and they certainly don't win league MVPs. I laughed when the Galaxy traded Magee for Rogers and I laughed even more when it blew up in their faces.. if they had held onto Magee they might be sitting on three straight Championships.

I'd love to hear what MLS players think of that assessment. Before this season MLS players were polled and they rated him as the most underrated player in the league. He was also a key player in back to back championships for the Galaxy. Average players don't do that because if they did they wouldn't be average, and they certainly don't win league MVPs. I laughed when the Galaxy traded Magee for Rogers and I laughed even more when it blew up in their faces.. if they had held onto Magee they might be sitting on three straight Championships.

The emergence of Mike Magee is very interesting....

I understand how people can view his meteoric rise last season as a fluke, but as Keegan mentions he was a key player for LAG in their 2011 and 2012 play-off runs, The warning signs were certainly there to those who paid attention. If you may recall, there were many times for the Galaxy that Keane or LD were missing and how many times did Magee pick up the slack? How many game winning goals did he score for that team? He was colossal at times! Those experiences likely gave him confidence to be "the man" once he moved out of the shadows of Keane and LD. He is also a Windy City guy so no wonder that he put the team on his back...

I don't really care what they think. He shot 42% and got 47% of his shots directed on target, both well above his career rates and too high to be sustainable. This isn't "opinion", this is math. If you think Magee is going to keep this level of performance up then why not just say 2+2=5; there is no difference.

I don't really care what they think. He shot 42% and got 47% of his shots directed on target, both well above his career rates and too high to be sustainable. This isn't "opinion", this is math. If you think Magee is going to keep this level of performance up then why not just say 2+2=5; there is no difference.

you never know. Magee could be the next Wondo, the next late bloomer

I'm happy with Klopas - someone with Euro-experience but can also sort out the intricacies of the MLS. Was chatting with someone close to Schellebaum tonight, and he's happy to be back in Europe with the family anyways. He got to the playoffs, and that was the goal - so he's satisfied.

I only beg that we leave a coach in this city for 3-4 years and not fall into a habit of switching again after a year. Shame we didn't get a guy like Yallop to be our guy. Coaches need time to know their team, their youth and their system. Would have also been nice to get Bradley in town for a while. Good coach, and knows North American soccer. saputo has to learn to keep his paws off all the decisions, or else this place is going to turn into a circus, and not a place to attract players.

fingers crossed.

Archived