Montreal Impact 2014 roster thread

Alberto7

Ok, since no one is doing it, I will. Here is a chance to discuss the Impact's roster for 2014:

No longer with the club:

Alessandro Nesta (retirement)

Rumored to be leaving:

Davy Arnaud

Matteo Ferrari

Daniele Paponi

Andrea Pisanu

New players joining the club:

Other rumors, comments, etc.?

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok, since no one is doing it, I will. Here is a chance to discuss the Impact's roster for 2014:

No longer with the club:

Alessandro Nesta (retirement)

Rumored to be leaving:

Davy Arnaud

Matteo Ferrari

Daniele Paponi

Andrea Pisanu

New players joining the club:

Other rumors, comments, etc.?

Troy Perkins is rumored to be wanting to return to the US. Personally I think this could be a huge loss for the club. Perkins doesn't make many mistakes, but he doesn't win games on his own either. Quite the opposite of Donovan Ricketts. I think Bush is ready to take over number one duties if Perkins leaves.

For those who follow the Impact closer, would Crepeau be able to step into a backup role?

It's difficult to say. He's 19 and has done quite well in reserve games, but hasn't seen any first team minutes yet. It also depends on who the first choice keeper will be. I would guess that he could back up an experienced work horse keeper, but I can't imagine having him back up someone with less experience like Evan Bush.

It's difficult to say. He's 19 and has done quite well in reserve games, but hasn't seen any first team minutes yet. It also depends on who the first choice keeper will be. I would guess that he could back up an experienced work horse keeper, but I can't imagine having him back up someone with less experience like Evan Bush.

I can't imagine the Impact going with Busch as the number one goalie. If Perkins leaves, they will go out and get someone else to be number 1. As far as Crepeau is concerned, he has been touted as the keeper of the future with the Impact since the age of 15. I saw him play in a couple of Academy games and he certainly has potential. He now needs solid minutes, perhaps taking over from Busch for the Canadian Championship games to start with. Having him just play an occasional reserve game is not enough. The other possibility is to loan him out to an NASL team to get battle-hardened.

While on topic of Montreal youngsters, who in the academy is ready to make the next step? Though it sounds like Montreal harvested the best of the crop with Tissot, Ouimette, Lefebvre, Crepeau.

Jeremy Gagnon-Laparé should be the next one. He also earned his first senior team cap for Canada.

http://www.impactmontreal.com/en/news/2013/09/jeremy-gagnon-lapare-makes-debut-canadian-national-team

Canada under 20 midfielder Zakaria Messoudi signed to the first team this season, but did not see any playing time. He is perhaps the most technically gifted of the bunch, but has to work on his strength and conditioning.

http://www.impactmontreal.com/en/players/zakaria-messoudi

Canada under 20 midfielder Zakaria Messoudi signed to the first team this season, but did not see any playing time. He is perhaps the most technically gifted of the bunch, but has to work on his strength and conditioning.

http://www.impactmontreal.com/en/players/zakaria-messoudi

Messoudi has a really good touch and boat load of skill. Crepeau didn't strike me as anything special but I haven't seen him play in a year an a half. So he may well have added something to his game. Not bad, but doesn't strike me as ready yet.

Would love to see Zak up though.

Recall that Perkins has a salary of $225k, while Bush is making $46k.

The feel is that if Perkins leaves the team is confident that Bush can take the role.

He will probably get a salary increase for his trouble, but nowhere near Perkins' $225k.

The backup position is not too big a deal. If Crepeau is not up to task, the team will probably pick up a Journeyman from elsewhere.

Phil Germain was at the press conference on Tuesday and has some opinions based on interviews plus gut feelings:

-Good chance Ferarri will not return

-Arnaud might might not come back. He might sign with SKC, since thats where he wants to be

-Brovsky will remain here for a long time

-Perkins is probably gone

-Paponi and Pisanu gone

Like I said, this is his opinion, but it all seems perfectly reasonable.

For a lot of these guys its about salary. Guys like Arnaud, Warner and Nyassi are not bad coming off the bench, but considering their salary it's not acceptable.

Either they take a paycut or they are gone.

Arnaud $ 290,000.00

Warner $ 137,500.00

Nyassi $ 147,625.00

Ferrari $ 295,475.00

Check out the salary chart for all the nitty gritty details:

http://www.mlsplayers.org/files/September%2015,%202013%20Salary%20Information%20-%20By%20Club.pdf

Arnaud's probably gone. I doubt that his absence in the Houston game was because he wasn't good enough for the team. I would try to keep him if he's willing to take a 30% paycut

Also, for Warner and Nyassi, with who will you replace them? That's the problem here. If they were foreign, I would want them out, but since they are domestic, and the Impact isn't the best team to find quality MLS talent for cheap, they will probably stay at the end of the day. Anyways, those players have a contract for next year according to Joey, FWIW. It's not like they'll take a paycut if they got paid.

The team needs help and they could find some players in the Reentry draft to adress some depth needs.

I do wonder what will happen to Calum Mallace and Zarek Valentin if they ever come back here. They needed playing time and got it. Ubiparipovic is gone.

The only Academy player that could get signed at the beginning of next season is Anthony Jackson Hamel. I'm more interested to see what will happen with the reserve league team and where the U21 Academy will play next year. That will give those Academy kids a league, since they didn't play in one this year with the Francophonie games, Canada games and U17-U20 WCQ/WC. Whether it is USL or PLSQ, they need to play.

Not sure why people think Bush is not ready. he has a boatload of game experience for a number two, having dominated as a number 1 in NASL plus playing all the Impact's cup games over the last two seasons. He's less coached/textbook than Perkins, more reaction/athletic, but as a fan I don't feel too worried giving it a try.

With his good performances in the CONCACAF matches, we have a positive sampling. Plus, Evan was always one of the best keepers in the NASL.

I doubt that the Impact will take the risk next year, since, if he doesn't quite make the MLS grade, the club and the player would find themselves in a bad place.

On the bright side, I'd rather have a shaky start to the season and be forced to climb for a playoff spot, rather than the fall from grace we experienced in 2013.

That being said, I believe Bush would likely rise to the challenge. No more #30 or #22, it's time for Bush #1.

Ah yes... I remember that info from the time of the draft. Thanks for setting me straight.

So next question... What about Arnaud. I think he was a great acquisition. He has been an absolute workhorse, with enough talent to do his MF job and also set a good example as captain. I was impressed with that little marketing move: the French interview. However, Montreal loves Bernier. And if I remember correctly, there was some issue of a decision between Patrice and Davy as captain... maybe just rumours (well designed ones). In any case, Impact fans may be feeling that it's now Bernier's turn as captain. I have also heard that Davy may be wanting to return to a US address (KC probably).

I think Davy is an asset to the Impact. I also believe that many fans sold him short this season. But if he would like to leave Montreal and has a good option elsewhere, I wish him luck. Bernier would make an excellent captain ... for all the same reasons, plus he's a local boy and, incredibly, speaks even better French.

Ah yes... I remember that info from the time of the draft. Thanks for setting me straight.

So next question... What about Arnaud. I think he was a great acquisition. He has been an absolute workhorse, with enough talent to do his MF job and also set a good example as captain. I was impressed with that little marketing move: the French interview. However, Montreal loves Bernier. And if I remember correctly, there was some issue of a decision between Patrice and Davy as captain... maybe just rumours (well designed ones). In any case, Impact fans may be feeling that it's now Bernier's turn as captain. I have also heard that Davy may be wanting to return to a US address (KC probably).

I think Davy is an asset to the Impact. I also believe that many fans sold him short this season. But if he would like to leave Montreal and has a good option elsewhere, I wish him luck. Bernier would make an excellent captain ... for all the same reasons, plus he's a local boy and, incredibly, speaks even better French.

Bernier is 34. How much gas does he have left? Maybe another 2 max?

And what of Paponi and Bernardello ... rumoured to be leaving?

They look like pretty good signings to me. As an example, fans shat all over "Mr. $2M Offside" after his 2012 showing and look what DiVaio did for us in 2013.

Same story for Mapp. He was persona-non-grata after 2012. Now he's our major midfield producer.

And what the hell happened to Felipe?! Down the home stretch, he falls asleep. I am all into the Felipe love-in, but the club has to figure out what happened there and make sure it doesn't repeat.

I have to say I am a HUGE Camara fan. One of our rare pre-MLS players, he is such a great value on the pitch. Hey Joey, Hassoun needs a raise. Oh yeah, and while we're on the subject, so does Jeb.

We've done well with our Academy grads. I'm pretty sure it won't get compared to Barcelona any time soon, but I'd say it's a success. Bravo to the Impact Academy staff.

And back to Wenger... if the Generation Adidas money dries up, how much would Joey pay to keep him? Or better yet, WOULD Joey pay to keep him? Like I said before, he seems to have potential ... as an attacking MF maybe, but not a striker. We've seen that glaring "missing ingredient" in the box. I suppose we've had a strong back line this year, so no use for Andrew at D, but I would have liked to see if his value might be best in a defensive role.

Any word on possible acquisitions?

Symbol of the team. I think it matters.

His actions on and off the field set and example of skill, intelligence and fair play.

I don't think that Arnaud's a bad captain. And if Montreal really wanted Bernier as captain, they just can do that. It's not like clubs have pulled the captain's armband off a player.

Archived