Montreal Impact 2014 roster thread

Alberto7

How did we manage to trade a striker that can't score for one who can and is 2 years younger? 

Ether Joey or Nick DeSantis ( your favorite Sporting Director ) did the deal... that is how ... now if the Impact can keep him and he fits in .. the playoffs that seemed distant become achievable.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Montreal Impact trade Andrew Wenger for Jack McInerney which seems like a more lopsided trade than Rogers for Magee.  How did we manage to trade a striker that can't score for one who can and is 2 years younger? Wenger is from Pennsylvania and McInerney is in the last year of his contract but it just does not make any sense. I am not complaining though, welcome to Montreal and the Impact Jack! The season is starting to look a bit better now.

I do wonder, it's a great deal short term, but if he tries to go abroad and fails, the Impact will still own his rights. If he becomes the next Clint Dempsey, now that's a problem.

Wow.  What a deal and what a strange league.  Seems a bit early to give up on the "American Chicharito" for Philly, I wonder what's going on.  My only answer can be that Mac wanted out but even then I'm sure they could have got a better return elsewhere. 

Basically you offload a useless striker who will never amount to anything in this league and has been an embarrassment for a 1st overall pick for a player who may be on the USMNT in a couple years. 

Addressing the media several hours after Montreal sent Andrew Wenger to Philadelphia to land McInerney on Friday, Impact sporting director Nick De Santis disclosed that the club holds a contractual option to retain McInerney for an extra year.

“And we’re going to exercise it at the end of the year,” De Santis said.

He'll be around next season as well ... at the very least. In the mean time hope he picks up a few things from MDV.

• 1 month later...

I wouldn't hope for too much there Griz. Portland's starters on defence are dreadful. Constantly hacking people in the box with little thought to PKs which they've given up a bunch. Hope he didn't learn those bad habits and turns out good for you guys but you really need something better than Portland's leftovers.

Impact sign Spanish central midfielder Gorka Larrea who played a couple of years in La Liga but has spent most of his career in the 2nd division. Might be a good signing but certainly not the big DP signing we were hoping for such as the Piatti rumour. He has been training with the club for the last month so he should be able to play immediately and hopefully they evaluated him adequately. With all the new signings they must be cutting or trading some players. I suspect Rivas will retire.

http://www.impactmontreal.com/en/news/2014/06/impact-signs-spanish-midfielder-gorka-larrea

Impact sign Spanish central midfielder Gorka Larrea who played a couple of years in La Liga but has spent most of his career in the 2nd division. Might be a good signing but certainly not the big DP signing we were hoping for such as the Piatti rumour. He has been training with the club for the last month so he should be able to play immediately and hopefully they evaluated him adequately. With all the new signings they must be cutting or trading some players. I suspect Rivas will retire.

http://www.impactmontreal.com/en/news/2014/06/impact-signs-spanish-midfielder-gorka-larrea

Perhaps Ottawa can pick up some defenders..down from MLS to finish out the fall season at a good price... free transfer and bus fare to Ottawa ?

While Montreal has holes everywhere in their roster, it seems that they really need to address the CB poisition. Those young Canadian guys are getting killed.

They have Ferrari, Lopez and Danso...........Klopas keeps them on the bench.

Yeah and unfortunately not playing well; Ouimette has been ok out wide.

In the opinion of MTL fans what is his ceiling?  Is he going to be a Canada MNT player quality (i.e. Hainault) or is he going to be better?

We need him to be a big time player in MLS before heading overseas.  I've been impressed when I've seen him but I've only seen around 7-8 MTL games on TV this year.  From what I've seen I think he looks to be performing better on the right side as he has less responsibility/more confidence but in time I hope he'll be a center back because he really doesn't have the skill set needed for a full back at the international level. 

Thoughts on Tissot?  He has been decent at times I've watched him but nothing outstanding for me to rate him. 

I agree with Keano that Lefevre has been weak, average in his good games and terrible in his bad games. I am not sure why he is getting so much playing time. Ouimette has his good and bad games too but in his good games he is pretty good so he seems to have potential. He has had strong games this year both at CB and on the right. I like Tissot a lot even if he is getting the least playing time of the three. He has the best ball and passing skills of the three. He seems to have been converted to midfielder this year which I have said for a long time is a more suitable position for him. He has mostly been subbing on late in games when we are leading as an attacking mid who can go forward but also be effective as a destroyer breaking up plays. He has some offensive flair as well as defensive ability as a midfielder while as a defender he loses his mark too often.

No surprise: Hernan Bernardello will leave the Impact for Cruz Azul. He's on the Impact's books until the end of the month.  He could still in theory play two games for the Impact before he leaves.

Also, Panama international Yairo Yau is on trial.

Archived