Montreal Impact 2014 roster thread

Alberto7

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been thinking the same thing as Ferrari, ie. where are the new players. We need 3 to 4 new signings of starter level players if we are going to have a good team this year. We need 2 more strikers, another who can start beside or behind Di Viao and provide a secondary scoring threat and a dangerous sub. We need at least one more good offensive midfielder and we could use depth at many positions. If we hardly have any injuries, the old players form does not decline and the young players improve we might make the playoffs with our current lineup. Barring that I don't think we are even in the playoff race with this lineup. I hope there are good reinforcements coming because I am not comfortable at all with the present squad.

Here is the current training camp roster:

2014 Training camp roster

Goalkeepers (3) :

Bush, Evan

Crépeau, Maxime

Perkins, Troy

Defenders (9) :

Brovsky, Jeb

Camara, Hassoun

Ferrari, Matteo

Lefèvre, Wandrille

Meftouh, Amine (Academy)

Miller, Eric (2014 SuperDraft)

Ouimette, Karl W.

Rivas, Nelson

Tissot, Maxim

Midfielders (10):

Bernardello, Hernan

Bernier, Patrice

Felipe

Gagnon-Laparé, Jérémy (Academy)

Malki, George (2014 SuperDraft)

Mallace, Calum

Mapp, Justin

Messoudi, Zakaria

Smith, Blake

Warner, Collen

Forwards (6):

Caringi, Pete (2014 SuperDraft)

Di Vaio, Marco

Ndiaye, Victor (Academy)

Nyassi, Sanna

Ongaro, Jordan (2014 SuperDraft)

Wenger, Andrew

Looks like Ferrari got himself in trouble for speaking the truth. Also not very comforting to hear NDS' attitude towards signing new players. Also not thrilled with his hope for a return of Romero who was a pretty mediocre player. We should be trying to improve this team and upgrade at various positions not sitting back and hoping some players return.

http://www.impactmontreal.com/en/news/2014/01/nick-de-santis-and-matteo-ferrari-are-same-page

Here is the current training camp roster:

2014 Training camp roster

Goalkeepers (3) :

Bush, Evan

Crépeau, Maxime

Perkins, Troy

Defenders (9) :

Brovsky, Jeb

Camara, Hassoun

Ferrari, Matteo

Lefèvre, Wandrille

Meftouh, Amine (Academy)

Miller, Eric (2014 SuperDraft)

Ouimette, Karl W.

Rivas, Nelson

Tissot, Maxim

Midfielders (10):

Bernardello, Hernan

Bernier, Patrice

Felipe

Gagnon-Laparé, Jérémy (Academy)

Malki, George (2014 SuperDraft)

Mallace, Calum

Mapp, Justin

Messoudi, Zakaria

Smith, Blake

Warner, Collen

Forwards (6):

Caringi, Pete (2014 SuperDraft)

Di Vaio, Marco

Ndiaye, Victor (Academy)

Nyassi, Sanna

Ongaro, Jordan (2014 SuperDraft)

Wenger, Andrew

More worrisome is
"Callum Malace"... talked with Nick De Santis and Matt Jordan before I left for the offseason, and I told them where I feel comfortable and where I'd want to play, and they agreed: as a central midfielder, but more of a transitional midfielder, one that gets forward and helps offensively, but I got the engine to get back and help defensively," Mallace said. "That’s the role I’ve played for a while in my life, and I think I can really play that here in Montreal and do it well."
So is this a young professional who does not feel comfortable in a position other then the one he wants to play in ?

It looks like a Canadian MLS team will sign Uruguayan forward Santiago Gonzalez from Sud America, according to the URuguayan club. Let's rule out Toronto, because TFC doesn't need a forward I think. It's either Montreal or Vancouver. Montreal desperately needs to sign a forward.

It looks like a Canadian MLS team will sign Uruguayan forward Santiago Gonzalez from Sud America, according to the URuguayan club. Let's rule out Toronto, because TFC doesn't need a forward I think. It's either Montreal or Vancouver. Montreal desperately needs to sign a forward.

Looks like it is Montreal. We definitely need another striker but this seems more a like a cheap take a chance on a young guy than bringing in any sort of reliable 2nd striker. He is the same age as Cavallini and has a less impressive CV: 5 goals in 14 first division appearances and 9 in 29 second division appearances. Also his 1st division goals were in games against weaker teams in the 1st division. Might be worth a shot if we are bringing in another striker with more pedigree as a secondary striker but I sure hope this is not it. Also I have absolutely zero faith in our scouting department to get a young talent out of South America. We haven't had any good signings since Marsch left and our signings from South America (and everywhere else) last year all turned out to be duds.

http://25stanley.com/imfc-santiago-gonzalez-une-nouvelle-acquisition-pour-limpact.html

Now they are signing the guys they thought were worse than Pisanu last year? Oi.

There are a lot of factors going in to a decision on who to sign so you can not really say the Impact thought he was worse than Pisanu. However, it is worrying the lack of activity on the Impact as far as bringing in new players. And it seems like all the reports of guys who could be signed are about young guys who are not playing at a high level and who may or may not be MLS level players. I am not saying we need to go out and sign a lot of big names but at least some solid players who should be reliable starters. We took a chance on a bunch of young players last year and none of them worked out. Indeed we haven't really had a good signing since Marsch left. I hope there are some player signings in the pipeline that we have not heard about because we only creeped into the playoffs last year and as Ferrari already said, we are a weaker team now than we were last year. Saputo needs to throw some of that cheese money our way: http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/saputo-profit-jumps-nearly-11-per-cent-in-third-quarter-1.1673869

The players brought in last season were on loan journeymen; Pisanu, Paponi, Romero. Along with these players, they brought up some Academy players; Tissot, Lefèvre, Messoudi, and first round draft pick Blake Smith. The summer transfer brought in Bernardello and Lopez. I don't think it was that these players didn't work out, I believe it's mostly that they were never given a real chance at succeeding. Schallibaum was hell bent on making the playoffs, and ran down is players cause he refused to turn over his bench. While I agree that Pisanu and Paponi were busts, I haven't given up on Bernardello. History tlls us that half a season, is not enough to judge the caliber of a player. Many were ready to throw Di Vaio under the bus for just that.

I have no clue about what Lopez could bring. I just hope he's not another Rivas and spends most of his time injured. The younger guys need more playing time. Blake Smith deserved better last season, and the academy guys went through growing pains. Sometimes decent, other times just terrible, but thats par for the course with first year players.

Santiago Gonzalez could go either way. There is no telling how he will adapt to MLS. One thing is for sure, he's not the same player that trialed for tFC at the age of 19. 5 goals in 14 games in the Uruguayan first division, is nothing to crap on. In my book it shows potential.

We also got rid of some tired old legs in Nesta and Arnaud. Hopefully the younger legs they brought in will be able to sustain the tough and grueling MLS season.

This is the line up I would use, if the season would start today.

930275_Montreal_Impact.jpg

After Di Vaio gets back from suspension, and with the signing of Rodriguez, I'd go with a 4-3-3.

930277_Montreal_Impact.jpg

For Montreal's sake, I hope the chemistry problem between Bernadello and Bernier gets sorted. Last season, both players wanted to play the same role, and never quite worked well together. Also, just how much gas Bernier have left? I don't think he'll last all season at his age.

For Montreal's sake, I hope the chemistry problem between Bernadello and Bernier gets sorted. Last season, both players wanted to play the same role, and never quite worked well together. Also, just how much gas Bernier have left? I don't think he'll last all season at his age.

Bernier underwent successful knee surgery in the off season, and is being brought back into the fold slowly. I don't believe they wanted to play the same role. Bernardello is at home just ahead of the back 4, Bernier loves to set up shop in a more offensive capacity. If anything, they compliment each other, and by leaving Bernardello with more of the defensive responsibilities, he might just prolong his career.

I'm a believer in Bernardello. He seems to be enjoying life in Montreal, where his family has settled well. Now that he knows the league better, is accustomed with the traveling demands, reffing etc. I say he has a better season and earns his DP status.

There are reports that Argentine winger Pablo Piatti who is currently playing for Valencia in Spain is set to transfer to the Impact. We really need to sign a couple of players like this for the coming season so I am hoping this turns out to be true.

It's good to see that there are rumours of players going to the Impact. It shows that NdS is doing some kind of job.

There are reports that Argentine winger Pablo Piatti who is currently playing for Valencia in Spain is set to transfer to the Impact. We really need to sign a couple of players like this for the coming season so I am hoping this turns out to be true.

Piatti would be a great signing for any club in this league. Really impressive.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/02/09/montreal-impact-deny-reports-deal-valencia-midfielder-pablo-piatti

Dunno if this is denial or 'denial'...

Archived