Montreal Impact 2014 roster thread

Alberto7

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a fan of this roster. They need a better off-season than last with all those failed Italian experiments. It will also be interesting how much they count on the academy kids and Smith next year; none of the academy kids looked ready for huge minutes and there a lot of center backs in the draft this year.

Not a fan of this roster. They need a better off-season than last with all those failed Italian experiments. It will also be interesting how much they count on the academy kids and Smith next year; none of the academy kids looked ready for huge minutes and there a lot of center backs in the draft this year.

Failed Nick de Santis experiments. Schalibaum was a competent but mediocre coach who agreed to very bad terms (you don't get really good European unless the terms in the contract are right) who profited from the mid-season acquisitions of Marsh who had a good eye for talent. Last year Marsh made the decisions and not all were good but enough were especially given we were in a weak spot as an expansion franchise. This year almost none of the signings were good or better than a depth player, even our new DP was only an above average DM. I respect Joey and his family for all they have done for our team but it is time to hire a top level competent coach/manager and let him run the team.

Failed Nick de Santis experiments. Schalibaum was a competent but mediocre coach who agreed to very bad terms (you don't get really good European unless the terms in the contract are right) who profited from the mid-season acquisitions of Marsh who had a good eye for talent. Last year Marsh made the decisions and not all were good but enough were especially given we were in a weak spot as an expansion franchise. This year almost none of the signings were good or better than a depth player, even our new DP was only an above average DM. I respect Joey and his family for all they have done for our team but it is time to hire a top level competent coach/manager and let him run the team.

Grizz - I agree 100% - and find it interesting that Joey gets pissed hearing people give him **** for having three coaches on the payroll next year if he fires Schalibaum. Truth be told, we ran outa gas at the end of this year - mostly due to playing time of our big guns and not enough time for McCAllum or Wenger to lead the line. Too few options up front and one injury away from problems in the midfield and the back. While I admit that I hadn't expected playoffs, by the time they were there, no one expected much from them, and their own heads were down.

Bernier - sure make him captain, but he was invisible late in the season. I think Joey needs to look around at some other potential stars in leagues besides the Italian ones. Shore up central defense. Keep the taps on the Americans - we need them - every MLS team needs solid workhorse Americans like Brovsky. I'd also like us to bring a French striker in or perhaps a decent Algerian, Tunesian or Moroccan - there is some real quality and likely decent prices.

We have to assume DeVaio can't replicate this year, so where do the goals come from?

Amazed we got something for him and a fairly valuable something at that for a guy who is more and more becoming a borderline MLS player (combination of age and the league improving) who is way overpaid. That being said he was a good player and captain for us at a time when we needed players like that so best of luck to him. I think DC overpaid for him but if they were not going to use their international spots and don't have salary cap issues anyway maybe it is a win-win. At least he is a big upgrade in veteran leadership over you know who. :) What is with DCU taking all of our salary cap problems off our hands?

Ubi never played that much but always played pretty decently when he did, better than a few other depth players who got more time than he did. He would be a good depth signing for another MLS team or a good starter at NASL level.

Amazed we got something for him and a fairly valuable something at that for a guy who is more and more becoming a borderline MLS player (combination of age and the league improving) who is way overpaid. That being said he was a good player and captain for us at a time when we needed players like that so best of luck to him. I think DC overpaid for him but if they were not going to use their international spots and don't have salary cap issues anyway maybe it is a win-win. At least he is a big upgrade in veteran leadership over you know who. :) What is with DCU taking all of our salary cap problems off our hands?

Ubi never played that much but always played pretty decently when he did, better than a few other depth players who got more time than he did. He would be a good depth signing for another MLS team or a good starter at NASL level.

I wonder if anyone has asked Iain Hume about coming to MLS for a season. Great leader and great Canuck. Wonder where he'd fall in the depth charts of MLS?

I wonder if anyone has asked Iain Hume about coming to MLS for a season. Great leader and great Canuck. Wonder where he'd fall in the depth charts of MLS?

Probably would be a super sub type striker (depending on the club). Don't know is wages at PNE but I am guessing he would be on at least 150 K if he came to MLS (maybe more). I remember reading that he was one of the highest earners with his current club.

I have a feeling that Jakovic will be available from DC, after Boswell got picked up.

Will he be a good fit at Montreal? (Don't see TFC or Caps picking him up)

Really not a fan on that salary. Hainault certainly isn't playing that much; a loan possibility? Montreal seems very quiet this off-season and their roster needs a lot of work.

Really not a fan on that salary. Hainault certainly isn't playing that much; a loan possibility? Montreal seems very quiet this off-season and their roster needs a lot of work.

You know Nick de Santis wants a coach that is ready to bow down to him and that will take responsibility if the team made of players signed by de Santis fails.

It looks like Schallibaum is out as coach:

http://www.goal.com/en-ca/news/4175/major-league-soccer/2013/12/13/4476755/marco-sch%C3%A4llibaum-out-as-head-coach-of-montreal-impact

Goal has learned that the Swiss coach will not be returning to Stade Saputo next year. Schällibaum's contract was set to automatically renew due to Montreal's playoff qualification

It appears that the Marco Schällibaum era at the Montreal Impact is over.

Sources told Goal this week that the Montreal Impact and the Swiss native have parted ways.

A late season collapse, one that saw the Impact fall to fifth place in the Eastern Conference and then emphatically eliminated in the first round of the playoffs, put Schällibaum’s tenure as head coach in jeopardy. In a press conference last month, club president Joey Saputo and sporting director Nick De Santis said that they were no longer sure if the 51-year-old would return in 2014, and that they would take the time to decide his future.

Despite the fact that Schällibaum’s contract with the Impact was automatically renewed for a second season after the team qualified for the MLS postseason for the first time, it now seems like the search for a new coach is on.

When asked about the coaching situation earlier this week, De Santis told RDS that everything would be sorted out before the team’s training camp opens on Jan. 27.

Assistant coach Mauro Biello, who was one of the candidates to replace Jesse Marsch last season, is a strong favourite to lead the team next year.

Saputo and De Santis were not available for comment on Friday.

The Vancouver Whitecaps, Real Salt Lake, FC Dallas and Chivas USA are also looking for a new head coach.

Can't say I am surprised or disappointed that Schalibaum is gone other than I doubt I will be very happy with the replacement. I fully expect Biello to be the new puppet (not) in command. I like Biello but he is not ready for the position and will likely do what he is told by Joey and NDS.

Any chance they go after Schelotto?

Like Grizzly, I fully expect Biello to be named head coach. There are rumors/reports that former Chicago Fire coach Frank Klopas is meeting with the management. I don't know if this is true but I think Biello is going to get his shot at the job.

Any chance they go after Schelotto?

I'd be surprised but you never know. Our best hope for a good coach is Saputo's Italianism leads him to hire an Italian or ethnically Italian coach who is a big enough name or strong enough personality to actually be the boss and convince Saputo to let him be the boss.

FK Bodo/Glimt who finished 1st in the Norwegian 2nd tier and promoted are interested in making the Zarek Valentin loan permanent and are negotiating with the Impact. Personally I am not that happy with this because I thought he was a pretty good player with a lot of potential and should not have been loaned out in the first place. A better RB than Camara who for all his technical ability and highlight plays costs us tons of goals against with his mistakes, poor football intelligence and lack of discipline/thinking he is a striker.

http://www.impactmontreal.com/en/news/2013/12/de-santis-negotiations-are-ongoing-bodoglimt-zarek-valentin

Archived