Montreal Impact 2014 roster thread

Alberto7

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From a linguistic ethnic point of view, an ethnic Italian from France, yes. From a team point of view I am not so sure unless Bernardello is not coming back. He would not be a DP but probably not cheap either and with Bernardello and Bernier already that would be a lot of money into DM. Bernier could play up further as a central midfielder but as he is getting older I am not sure how long he can play a more offensive role for.

• 2 weeks later...
Interesting interview in French with Schalibaum. I don't have time to translate or summarize it though:

http://www.lematin.ch/sports/football/schaellibaum-j-decouvert-lamerique/story/18011202

He said that he wasn't funny to lose his job, and that they were done physically at the end of the year.

He still has one year on his contract so he won't say alot. He wanted to change certain things at the club and the club didn't want to do that. After that, they judged that it was better to stop there.

He liked the city, the stadium that was always filled and mentioned the big difference of playing an away game compared to Switzerland.

He wasn't happy with some of the suspensions he got. He mentions the time he got expelled in Kansas City at halftime and when he got suspended for his actions against Colorado.

He had one month of vacation and was skiing with his family in Austria. He's open to come back, but he knows that the Swiss market is small.

He wants to activate connections like seeing Rummenigge at Bayern, Lucien Favre at Borussia Moenchengladbach, Uli Forte at Young Boys, Carlos Bernegger at Luzern and people in or at (it's hard to know which preposition is meant) Basel.

Two cheap Canadian upgrade possibilities in an area of need are trying to get Cavallini on loan and just signing Ben Fisk outright, as he's not actually under a MLS contract with Vancouver.

Are you serious?

1) Cavallini's not a player I see wanting to play in MLS unless he has to. I remember him tweeting that he didn't want to play in MLS unless he's old. He has options in Uruguay, he'll stay there.

2) Why would Ben Fisk leave Vancouver for any other MLS club? He's still part of the Whitecaps system and they could still offer him an homegrown contract. Unless the Whitecaps cut him loose, I don't even see that as an option.

Are you serious?

1) Cavallini's not a player I see wanting to play in MLS unless he has to. I remember him tweeting that he didn't want to play in MLS unless he's old. He has options in Uruguay, he'll stay there.

2) Why would Ben Fisk leave Vancouver for any other MLS club? He's still part of the Whitecaps system and they could still offer him an homegrown contract. Unless the Whitecaps cut him loose, I don't even see that as an option.

1. He needs a loan. Impact need forwards. Who cares what he tweets? The Impact can certainly inquire.

2. Fisk has not come to terms with Vancouver on a contract in over two years. I'm not even sure they have homegrown rights anymore. If they do, a trade of a low draft pick would get those rights, and he would add some attacking depth for the team. I don't know if he'll make it as a pro but he's certainly as good an attacking prospect as anyone in this year's draft.

As if the Uruguyan league is any better or even at par with MLS...The only think they got going for them is scouts from Argentina and maybe oversees. It's more of a Montevideo-league as a matter of fact and even in the whole of Uruguay there's only 3 milion people. If you'r still playing there at 23 I don't think you're MLS material.

As if the Uruguyan league is any better or even at par with MLS...The only think they got going for them is scouts from Argentina and maybe oversees. It's more of a Montevideo-league as a matter of fact and even in the whole of Uruguay there's only 3 milion people. If you'r still playing there at 23 I don't think you're MLS material.

Uruguay is better than MLS, sorry. Take their last camp and call-up, of 28 players 5 play in Uruguay, meaning the league is strong enough to still supply a team going to the WC.

The competitive level is higher than MLS. There is a more avid press even with the small population. The presure on the player and the tension is higher. Fans are much harder on you if you don't get good results. You play on grass. Your options for transfering out, as said, are higher, whether to Argentina or Brazil or to Europe, simply because the scouting is massive, as is the case all over the top 5-6 nations in South America.

He is fine there until he gets a chance to move up to a better club or transfer out.

Uruguay is better than MLS, sorry. Take their last camp and call-up, of 28 players 5 play in Uruguay, meaning the league is strong enough to still supply a team going to the WC.

The competitive level is higher than MLS. There is a more avid press even with the small population. The presure on the player and the tension is higher. Fans are much harder on you if you don't get good results. You play on grass. Your options for transfering out, as said, are higher, whether to Argentina or Brazil or to Europe, simply because the scouting is massive, as is the case all over the top 5-6 nations in South America.

He is fine there until he gets a chance to move up to a better club or transfer out.

You got some points, as soccer is the only sport in Uruguay. But of their 28 players only 5 still play there? And that somehow proves YOUR point?

Ok I've looked it up, of their last camp (november 13 and 20) there were only 2 players from the domestic league. And both were veterans, 35 year old goalkeeper Juan Castillo and 38 (!) year old Andres Scotti.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uruguay_national_football_team

Precisely because the place is swamped with scouts, the top-players leave early. It's a nice development-league, but nothing more.

Have you ever watched a Uruguayan league game? If both clubs are not top teams the level is well below that of MLS. Man even watching the Cavallini goal highlights from last year, some of the goals he scored were against bush league defending. Like so many European countries with 2nd and 3rd tier leagues, they have a couple of strong clubs built for Champions League/Copa Libertadores and the rest are much poorer quality and mostly developing players for the strong teams or to sell to Europe or better South American leagues. They do a great job of developing talent given the size of the country but most of the players that amount to anything are playing in another country before or shortly after they turn 20. The guys they call up from the domestic league for the national team are almost always under 20 players who haven't transferred yet or in their 30's players who came back home to play out their career and almost exclusively from the top few clubs.

Uruguay is not a bad place for Cavallini to be but he just turned 21 and if he is going to accomplish anything as a soccer player pretty soon he needs to either establish himself at Nacional/top Uruguayan team or transfer out to a better league and establish himself there. MLS would be an option for him in this regard and I would love him to come to Montreal but I would not spend any significant money on him or pencil him in as the striker that would solve our need for a 2nd striker. Any MLS team who signs him will be taking a flyer on a guy who seems to have some talent and probably has had some good training but who hasn't really done anything at a good enough level league to judge whether he could hack it and score in MLS.

It looks like the Paponi loan is officially over, at least according to Italian papers. He has returned to Bologna and some 3rd division teams are interested in him. 3rd division is probably where he belongs. He just was not good enough to play MLS.

http://www.tuttomercatoweb.com/serie-a/bologna-paponi-in-uscita-benevento-e-cremonese-sull-ex-parma-516798

He looked so active in his first couple of appearances; could he just not stay in shape?

He looked so active in his first couple of appearances; could he just not stay in shape?

He was active in that he ran enough but he was simply a striker that could not score. A guy who no matter how much of the net was available would always shoot it straight at the keeper. He had some playmaking skill but not enough to replace any of our midfielders or to be an effective secondary striker or winger. He simply was not skilled enough to play MLS or Serie A or B for that matter either. Look at his career stats 2 goals in 17 MLS matches, 3 goals in 40 Serie A matches and 5 goals in 43 Serie B matches. The only reason he got on the pitch so much for us is we had absolutely no one else who was a striker after Di Viao. The alternative to Paponi was the equally poor Wenger. This was a glaring hole in the team, I bitched about it all year. How they could not bring in another striker who at least belonged on an MLS pitch is beyond me. Schallibaum is gone but on any normal club NDS and whoever else is making the decision would be fired immediately as well. Of course if it was the owners decision he will not fire himself. Anyway I am happy Paponi is gone and at least have the hope that his spot will be filled by someone who can be a productive striker in MLS. And if we keep Wenger we need to convert him to another position where he can be useful because he has some skills but he sure is not a striker.

Why should anyone worry? They got 21 players under contract for the 2014 season and they already formed a nice core together, most of them will be playing together for the third season now. That's ages in modern football. Hope the Academy-kids develop further and then they might pick-up some attacking threat in the draft, maybe get another versatile defender. They look well on their way. Don't forget this group got into the playoffs last year.

TFC has made a lot of noise but let's be honest, they also had lot's to improve upon (and MLSE has deeper pockets than Saputo probably).

Why should anyone worry? They got 21 players under contract for the 2014 season and they already formed a nice core together, most of them will be playing together for the third season now. That's ages in modern football. Hope the Academy-kids develop further and then they might pick-up some attacking threat in the draft, maybe get another versatile defender. They look well on their way. Don't forget this group got into the playoffs last year.

TFC has made a lot of noise but let's be honest, they also had lot's to improve upon (and MLSE has deeper pockets than Saputo probably).

That is a way too rosy picture. We snuck into the playoffs and bombed out of them with a team that had major holes. Several of our top players are near the end of their career, are having injury problems and a decline in form would not be surprising. Another large percentage of the 21 is made up of young players with little MLS experience. The Impact have usually been more able or willing to keep player negotiations secret than the other Canadian teams so I am not really worried about the lack of rumours. However, we need to make some significant improvements to the team. That does not necessarily mean big name signings like TFC but we need to sign several players of quality MLS starter level. What does worry me is the possibility that NDS is in charge of the signings. The team we made the playoffs with was the team Jesse Marsch put together by the end of the first season. I am pretty sure that he left/was fired last year because he wanted to continue making decisions about players. So they found someone in Schallibaum who was ready to be told who to put on his team. Last year's signings were uniformly terrible. Marsch's team improved throughout the first season. Last year they did not add anyone who really helped the team and our second half of the season form showed that oh so clearly.

Wait, sorry Mike, but if Keane and Cahill were 23 years old, would they want to come to MLS?

Probably not but Cavallini is at this point far from being Keane or Cahill and his list of accomplishments is pretty small so far. If he was in the system of a good team in a good league I could see him not wanting to go to MLS but I don't see why he should not be open to MLS now that he is playing on loan for a mid table Uruguyuan team after having trouble cracking the lineup for Nacional. The training in Uruguay is no doubt good but he is getting beyond the age of being a young footballer learning and needs to start establishing himself as a professional at a decent club/league level.

Here's my Montreal starting XI for the first game knowing that Di Vaio (suspension) and Lopez (injury) won't play.

Perkins

Brovsky Ferrari Ouimette Camara

Bernier Bernardello

Nyassi Felipe Mapp

Wenger

You have this on the bench

Bush Lefèvre Tissot Smith Warner Mallace Messoudi

That team is weaker than the team last year.

Archived