Karl Ouimette

Dub Narcotic

• 5 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Unfortunate - perhaps Karl is just not ready to be a consistent MLS player?

He could be ready, he did well at fullback for NYRB last year, but he's been playing as a centre-back this year and it doesn't seem to be a position he's very comfortable in.

4 hours ago, Zem said:

He could be ready, he did well at fullback for NYRB last year, but he's been playing as a centre-back this year and it doesn't seem to be a position he's very comfortable in.

Centre-back is his main position and the one he is better suited for. He needs to prove himself as a NASL level starting CB first before there is any consideration of him returning to MLS. At best he is backup level and probably 4th or 5th choice CB if he is on a MLS team.

46 minutes ago, Obinna said:

This is true and also concerning - How good does he have to be to get another chance? How many MLS clubs send a CB out on loan and then recall him (and USE him)?

He is simply currently not good enough to be a MLS CB right now. He could be a back up but he is not going to get better being the 4th or 5th CB of an MLS team. He needs to play at least a couple of years of being a starter in NASL before thinking MLS again. If Red Bull recall him it will only be because of injuries. Tissot is also in a similar situation although I think he is more skilled than Ouimette but also in a harder position to break into as an offensive midfielder so he needs to also be a dominant player in NASL for a couple years also before thinking of MLS again. If there were more loans between MLS and NASL it would be a lot better for the development of players like this. 

Edited by Grizzly

• 2 months later...

SB Nation article looking back on Karl's loan to Jacksonville. Hopefully, he can find a coach that believes in him (and maybe sees him more as a fullback). That likely won't happen in Jacksonville next year.

"Under the guidance of former Metrostar and Red Bull Tony Meola, Ouimette made six appearances (five starts) for the Armada. But Meola was fired on August 7, since when Ouimette has had one minute of competitive playing time for Jacksonville."

http://www.onceametro.com/2016/10/31/13480648/karl-ouimette-loan-to-jacksonville-armada-a-bust-nasl-new-york-red-bulls

Edited by David C.

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Not at all surprising to me that Ouimette was released. Early in the year was his chance to prove that he could be MLS calibre, and he looked poor. I'm not even sure if he lands with an NASL club next year given that he only played once in the club's last 14 games.

Think he'll try his luck in Finland while waiting for the CPL?

23 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Not at all surprising to me that Ouimette was released. Early in the year was his chance to prove that he could be MLS calibre, and he looked poor. I'm not even sure if he lands with an NASL club next year given that he only played once in the club's last 14 games.

I agree with your MLS comment but think that he could still latch on with another NASL team. If I remember correctly, he mainly stopped playing in Jacksonville due a coaching change. The original coach seemed to be fine with him (or was that with NYRB?).

Also, I think he needs to promote himself (going forward) as a defensive fullback, instead of a centre-back. This appears to be his better position and he has been a serviceable back-up for the CMNT at this spot. So, no reason why an NASL team couldn't use him there. Cheers!

38 minutes ago, matty said:

Think he'll try his luck in Finland while waiting for the CPL?

Sure, why not.

15 minutes ago, David C. said:

I agree with your MLS comment but think that he could still latch on with another NASL team. If I remember correctly, he mainly stopped playing in Jacksonville due a coaching change. The original coach seemed to be fine with him (or was that with NYRB?).

Also, I think he needs to promote himself (going forward) as a defensive fullback, instead of a centre-back. This appears to be his better position and he has been a serviceable back-up for the CMNT at this spot. So, no reason why an NASL team couldn't use him there. Cheers!

The best chance I think Ouimette has of signing with an NASL club is if he reunites with dos Santos in San Francisco. Outside of that, the current "Canadians as foreigners" situation in NASL really hampers his ability to sign on with an American club.

3 hours ago, Big_M said:

Doesn't matter where a defender plays if he's weak at 1vs1 defending. He can still play a few years in USL/NASL but might be more interesting to go back to studies.

Players retiring at 24 is one of the reasons we don't have any depth. He has some skill but needs to go somewhere where he can play and continue to develop. He is unlikely to become the top level defender that we need as a national team starter but he may still improve to a point where he is at least a useful depth player. At 23 Corbin-Ong had just moved up to German 4th division from 5th division and now he is a starter on one of the better teams in the 3rd Bundesliga. If the CPL does arrive hopefully it will give players like Ouimette a place to play and continue their development because if enough of these guys keep playing a couple of them will be late bloomers and become good players and even those who do not will help the development of the younger players coming through. 

How to we get those "high level players".  Seems to me if the CPL was running we would have another viable option for under 23 players to get some development.  Not every high level guy is ID at 16.  Especially our guys, look at the washouts from the 3MLS academies in the last 3-4 years.  How many might have emerged as a "depth player" CMNT fringe player if they had steady playing time and decent coaching into their mid 20's.   And as for plenty of USL level players, according to S.Sandor, 100+ CDN played in USL last year.  With CPL not launching anytime soon, I hope that number rises to 150 next year.  Give our depth type guys a place to play and we might polish a few gems (Didic,Levis).  Maybe Ouimette goes to Europe, but he could also drop down to USL level, stay in the game, and work on his defending closer to home.  

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
48 minutes ago, Big_M said:

This piece of shit is back and signed again by Pittsburgh. Wow

http://www.uslsoccer.com/news_article/show/789393?referrer_id=2333971

It was a bad and dangerous play on his part last year but I am not sure he should be identified for the rest of his career/life as a "piece of shit" because of one mistake. If he continues to commit such offences it is different but if it is a one time offence then it should remain in the past.

Edited by Grizzly