Karl Ouimette

Dub Narcotic

I would not go as far as to say nobody missed Nesta. Ouimette does not control the game out of the back the way Nesta does. It was, however, a very strong outing for Ouimette much better than his two appearances last year. He has a year's more experience and was playing his natural position of CB not out of position at RB like last year. He has a much better sense of positioning and what he should do at CB than at RB. With us not re-signing Thomas, Ouimette took over his position as backup CB and it is nice to see him show that he can do the job.

Obviously I mean that because of Ouimette's strong performance it did not hurt the Impact to have Nesta out. Not that he can do the same things Nesta can do.

It's impressive that K-dub (no?) has become a better option than having Camara at CB and Iapicino or Valentin out wide.

• 1 year later...

I've never rated him for Montreal either.  However, it's just shocking to me that you can have your academy director say he's going to be a star in the league less than two years ago and before your new USL team to give players time even plays you release him

He didn't always pass the eye test, but he rated better in some of the advanced metrics than Tissot. Strange move, you think there would be room for him in USL.

On the other hand, if they don't think he's going to make it, why have him hang around and string him along like Alderson? European clubs are always cutting their youth at 21/22 if they don't think it's going to work out.

Kind of strange because Floro seems to really like him, and he's been playing more and more for the Impact. You would think he might come in handy with the domestic quota needing to be reached in USL and the trouble they seem to be having with bringing in their new leftback. 

I would imagine he's fourth in the LB pecking order as well: Oyongo (I know), Krol, Miller then Ouimette. Adekeugbe is two years younger and much closer to the first team, for some perspective, and Miller is the same age with more games under his belt.

I'd put Tissot and Toia in front of Ouimette. Krol is as good as gone anyway. They've got too many players signed and I believe that Ouimette with a non-guaranteed contract was the one who paid the price, because they have better people who can cover at the Academy than him and that he's not young anymore. I've read: "He's only 22" but his ceiling is not as high as Tissot and he's not knocing on the door to start like Lefèvre is. Ouimette was just judged as the guy who couldn't really be an important piece of the puzzle for 2015. It could also mean that they feel that he needs to be full time with Montréal FC and that they've believed that he would be their main player for that team. Zak  Messoudi and Alessandro Riggi are 2 players who weren't able to do a lot in their first come around as pros, one here, the other in Italy, but they should sign with Montréal FC. I expect the same from Ouimette, but they wanted to see if he was able to make the next step this year and he couldn't.