NEW Mother of all Canadians Abroad

madmonte

Good to see that Straith has found a club that he should get starting minutes at. I was hoping he would land with a team in B2 (or the whitecaps) but either move would likely prove difficult for him to get minutes, and you need minutes to develop. He is still young so hopefully a good season or two will bring about a starting job at the B2 level or equivalent. At that point we can start to consider him a serious CB option.

Agreed :-)

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
According to Transfermarkt and Wikipedia, Michel Acosta is now with AEK Kouklia in Cyprus

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/michel-acosta/profil/spieler_74351.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AEK_Kouklia_F.C.

Remind me what we know about his Canadian ties? Another Pacheco, maybe? Looks like a promising move.Shame we couldn't have gotten him out for a look in time for the Gold Cup.

This week feature player is MICHEL ACOSTA, a defensive midifield player from Uruguay, witn Canadian passport. Born in 1988, Michel Acosta started his career in Uruguay with PAYSANDU FC, then moved on to LIVERPOOL, and lately to CA SAN CARLOS.

In 2005 he was part of the Uruguay National Team U-17 that played the "Sudamericano"in Venezuela and the World Cup U-17 in Peru.

In 2007 he played with the Uruguay National Team U-20, the "Sudamericano" U-20 in Paraguay

http://www.cdssoccer.com/LatestNews/tabid/97/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/81/Sep-5-2012.aspx

Remind me what we know about his Canadian ties? Another Pacheco, maybe? Looks like a promising move.Shame we couldn't have gotten him out for a look in time for the Gold Cup.

This week feature player is MICHEL ACOSTA, a defensive midifield player from Uruguay, witn Canadian passport. Born in 1988, Michel Acosta started his career in Uruguay with PAYSANDU FC, then moved on to LIVERPOOL, and lately to CA SAN CARLOS.

In 2005 he was part of the Uruguay National Team U-17 that played the "Sudamericano"in Venezuela and the World Cup U-17 in Peru.

In 2007 he played with the Uruguay National Team U-20, the "Sudamericano" U-20 in Paraguay

http://www.cdssoccer.com/LatestNews/tabid/97/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/81/Sep-5-2012.aspx

Wouldn't be a bad pick up if he is eligible. He is not really a young player but younger than Pacheco when he joined us. Hopefully we can bring him into camp and see if he is good enough to include in our pool. The more depth the better.

Wouldn't be a bad pick up if he is eligible. He is not really a young player but younger than Pacheco when he joined us. Hopefully we can bring him into camp and see if he is good enough to include in our pool. The more depth the better.

Not sure he is that interesting of a prospect. He spent a few years as a sub with a small amount of playing time in the Uruguayan first division before becoming a starter last year at a Uruguayan second division club. Now he is transferring to a small Cyprian club just promoted to the Cypriot first division for the first time in its history. It never hurts to give anyone a look and you never know what the future can bring but Pacheco was far more accomplished when he came to Canada. And this guy is only 4 years younger than Pacheco now and even Pacheco is a fringe player on the national team.

Not sure he is that interesting of a prospect. He spent a few years as a sub with a small amount of playing time in the Uruguayan first division before becoming a starter last year at a Uruguayan second division club. Now he is transferring to a small Cyprian club just promoted to the Cypriot first division for the first time in its history. It never hurts to give anyone a look and you never know what the future can bring but Pacheco was far more accomplished when he came to Canada. And this guy is only 4 years younger than Pacheco now and even Pacheco is a fringe player on the national team.

Seeing as we called someone from the 5th division in Argentina in January. I don't think it would hurt to call him for a camp.

That is very true, but Pacheco is a undeserving fringe player for us (at least that is the consensus around here). I know his resume thus far is not sparkling, but you are right, it never hurts to give anyone a look. Especially when you are the CMNT.

That is very true, but Pacheco is a undeserving fringe player for us (at least that is the consensus around here). I know his resume thus far is not sparkling, but you are right, it never hurts to give anyone a look. Especially when you are the CMNT.

I don't think he is an undeserved fringe player even though I am one of those who have called for him to play more. Indeed I don't think any of us can say he is deserving of being more than a fringe player since we have hardly seen him play. In 4 years with the national team he has played less than 300 minutes and many of his appearance were late game subs. For the most part he hasn't looked too bad when he is on the field but he hasn't really excelled either and I suspect we have not seen a lot of the weaknesses that have condemned him to the Portuguese 2nd division as opposed to the 1st simply because he hasn't been on the pitch enough or in those situations where they would appear. For the most part what has led to people calling him to play more has been the fact that we have made him travel an awful lot to just sit on the bench and after we got eliminated from WCQ and got rid of a lot of the veterans who were playing ahead of him we have played a lot of players of questionable calibre instead of him. Hopefully our midfield will strengthen again over the next few years because I really doubt Pacheco deserves to be more than a fringe sub/depth player on the team when we are at full strength. If he is more than that then we are probably in real trouble.

I don't think he is an undeserved fringe player even though I am one of those who have called for him to play more. Indeed I don't think any of us can say he is deserving of being more than a fringe player since we have hardly seen him play. In 4 years with the national team he has played less than 300 minutes and many of his appearance were late game subs. For the most part he hasn't looked too bad when he is on the field but he hasn't really excelled either and I suspect we have not seen a lot of the weaknesses that have condemned him to the Portuguese 2nd division as opposed to the 1st simply because he hasn't been on the pitch enough or in those situations where they would appear. For the most part what has led to people calling him to play more has been the fact that we have made him travel an awful lot to just sit on the bench and after we got eliminated from WCQ and got rid of a lot of the veterans who were playing ahead of him we have played a lot of players of questionable calibre instead of him. Hopefully our midfield will strengthen again over the next few years because I really doubt Pacheco deserves to be more than a fringe sub/depth player on the team when we are at full strength. If he is more than that then we are probably in real trouble.

I mostly agree with that analysis of the situation. Yes, it is likely that we have not had the opportunity to see potential weaknesses in his game. Yes, we have given others of questionable caliber more "post WCQ" minutes than him.

Now, should be a fringe player on a full strength Canadian side? That depends on how far along the team has developed. We are in transition and in a few years, I would expect Pacheco to be either phased out or on the absolute fridge of the squad. The team of today though? Well I believe a strong case could be made in support of using him more. In the current state of the team, it seems cruel that he is not selected more often than a player like Bekker (the most undeserving of his allotted playing time), and Piette (a close second).

I am in support of young guys being included in camps and tournaments, but guys really should have to earn their spots. Judging from their club situations neither deserves the amount of playing time they receive. Clearly none of us know what goes on in training, but it is easy for one to question whether or not Fonseca (or whoever) has been preaching to Miller that he should "get Piette and Bekker as much playing time as possible".

It looks like LB/RB mohamed Sylla will head to Poland. He was playing for AS Blainville this season. I'm trying to find the name of the club, but can't find it as of now. It also mentions that Abdoulaye Sylla could be going to Poland as well, but he's still with the club as of now.

http://www.nordinfo.com/Sports/2013-08-13/article-3349522/Premiere-Ligue-de-soccer%3A-lAS-Blainville-libere-Mohamed-Sylla/1

The ANB Academy is pleased to announce that 14-year old ANB Academy player, Dan Manolache (1999 born), has been offered the opportunity to train in southern France, joining Annecy FC's U-15 team, an amateur club (http://www.annecyfootballclub.fr/) with formal ties to the Ligue 1 professional club, Evian TG FC.

Dan will be leaving Canada in the middle of August, and living and studying in France for one year, along with playing in the top national youth league against teams from professional formation centres - Olympique Lyonnais, AS St-Etienne, Evain TG FC, FC Sochaux, and AJ Auxere. He will study at a local college and will be billeted by a host-family during his stay.

The arrangement for Dan's opportunity started at this year's ANB International ID Camp where he was scouted by Jean-Phillip Nallet, the General Manager & Technical Director at Annecy FC. Dan has been a member of ANB Futbol Academy for the past 4 years, competing in U-16 SAAC competitions, participating in various showcase events in the United States, and captaining ANB teams playing in international events in England, France, and Italy. Along with being a talented athlete, Dan is a strong student, combining the "Athlete of the Year" award with an honour role prize at his elementary school graduation.

"This is an amazing and unique opportunity for Dan; he has been a model ANB athlete since joining the Academy. He is bilingual having studied at a French immersion school, and I am confident he will find success on and off the field. We wish him well and expect to hear many good things from Dan in the future," says Academy Director, Bassam Naim.

Another ANB player is going to France...

Adonijah Reid (1999 born), has been offered a three week youth trial, to join Ligue 1 professional club OGC Nice.

At the 2012 Jean-Pingeon U-13 Tournament in France, Adonijah won the tournament's "M.V.P." award and was the highest goal-scorer of the tournament.

"Adonijah is a special player, a striker who gives defenders fits who are 2 to 3 years older than him. We truly hope he will be able to do the same in France and we look forward to hear good reports on his trial which will allow him to return to the club on a full-time basis. With his age, we will have to respect FIFA rules on international transfers. We believe this is the first of many steps for Adonijah on reaching a professional level of football! We wish him well," says Academy Director, Bassam Naim.

Goalkeeper Jonathan Viscosi is with Tiverton Town of the English Southern League Division One South & West (8th-tier). He has an Italian passport, but represented Canada at the 2013 World University Games in Russia. Has played for three USL PDL clubs, including Ottawa Fury.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiverton_Town_F.C.#Current_squad

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/jonathan-viscosi/44/9a5/5b6

Goalkeeper Jonathan Viscosi is with Tiverton Town of the English Southern League Division One South & West (8th-tier). He has an Italian passport, but represented Canada at the 2013 World University Games in Russia. Has played for three USL PDL clubs, including Ottawa Fury.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiverton_Town_F.C.#Current_squad

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/jonathan-viscosi/44/9a5/5b6

He was quite a well respected NCAA keeper at Buffalo. Good for him to give "pro" soccer a go. Could be the next Jay DeMerit.

Also - to continue a bit on Nacional de Montevideo players, I think you have two players mixed up. You have Anthony Osorio (Jonathan Osorio's younger brother) highlighted in blue as potential to not committ to CanMNT - which is true. Also, he was born and raised in Canada. I think you might be confusing him with Gianlucas Scorzafave - who I believe was born in Uruguay but raised in Canada - and you have him highlighted in red. Just a couple of things I noticed. Thanks.

Elliott Godfrey was released by Staines Town on January 13th, and signed for Wealdstone on January 31st. They're seventh-tier, so I suppose Godfrey will come off your snobby master list. ;)

http://wealdstone-fc.com/first-team/player-profiles/

Ha, I'll be heavily editing this list this weekend or next given time, been REALLY busy at work lately, and it takes HOURS to do it even given the "snobby" cutoffs! It's not that I'm trying to make it easy to track...I'm trying to make it POSSIBLE to track the players without needing to put a gun to my face lol...

But when JPG dropped this thread and three months went by without anyone picking it up, I only did so because noone else was. If you are volunteering to take this thread over, be my guest ;)

Otherwise I'll try to catch up when I said, I apologize it's three weeks behind on the edits (and yes, I didn't take it seriously, I actually chuckled) :)

Archived