NEW Mother of all Canadians Abroad

madmonte

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This thread is time consuming enough for madmonte to maintain that he shouldn't have to deal with off-topic posts. This thread is for the movement and playing status of Canadian players only.

Thanks man :) Not sure who you are referring to though, I think most people are keeping it pretty well on topic, the occassional comment to what is going on with someone, or few comments, I would actually encourage, but yeah if it is a big discussion start a new thread for it.

Doing a minor update to include posts of the last few weeks. Notes: Oppong wasn't included as his club is 7th tier. Michel Acosta was not added due to Uruguay youth team. For the record, because he is over the age limit, doesn't that make it very difficult for him to make a switch? See the Koffie conversation...Speaking of which, I had added Aird back due to the almost (rumored) inclusion at the Gold Cup. If you guys want him removed again let me know.

Some others weren't added because of tier, but it's cool to hear about them :) Could not find Mohamed Sylla in Poland. Fixed color coding that was pointed out on the Uruguay players.

For the record, because he is over the age limit, doesn't that make it very difficult for him to make a switch? See the Koffie conversation...

The difference is that Koffie wasn't eligible for Canada when he played for Ghana. Acosta has been eligible for Canada his entire life so he remains eligible even though he played for Uruguay's youth team(s).

The "age limit" no longer applies regardless. That rule was changed in 2012.

What was the name of that Greek guy playing D1 who was born in TO?

I find this one too fishy. At his age you would think that he would have given up on playing for Greece, and at the level he is playing at you think he'd have been in a Canada camp by now. Its probably unlikely that he has a Canadian passport

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/nikolaos-georgiadis/profil/spieler_67066.html

I read an article on the Rangers site that said Aird accepted an invite to a scotland U20 camp (they called it U19s). The article stated that he was on a provisional senior team roster for Canada for the Gold Cup but Canada "never followed through" with it.

I find this one too fishy. At his age you would think that he would have given up on playing for Greece, and at the level he is playing at you think he'd have been in a Canada camp by now. Its probably unlikely that he has a Canadian passport

Thanks. I agree, although many of his appearances are in the 2nd tier.

Thanks. I agree, although many of his appearances are in the 2nd tier.

Yes but considering we've had a penchant for calling a number of low level 2nd tier players in the past, you'd think he would have at least been to a camp if he WAS eligible. Maybe he is and just wasn't interested.

Last year was the first year he was in the Greek first division and got any significant playing time. Up until that he has played solely in the 2nd division except for one half year previously in which he hardly played in the 1st division. Even within the Greek 1st division the level drops pretty significantly after the top teams. Given that he plays at our strongest position of defensive mid I don't find it that strange or fishy that he has not been called up to now. If he maintains his spot in a first division team it might be worth giving him a look but I doubt he would be anything more than a depth player given he is already 30.

Last year was the first year he was in the Greek first division and got any significant playing time. Up until that he has played solely in the 2nd division except for one half year previously in which he hardly played in the 1st division. Even within the Greek 1st division the level drops pretty significantly after the top teams. Given that he plays at our strongest position of defensive mid I don't find it that strange or fishy that he has not been called up to now. If he maintains his spot in a first division team it might be worth giving him a look but I doubt he would be anything more than a depth player given he is already 30.

Quite a similar story to Pacheco, really.

But according to the game by game report on transfermarkt (don't know how accurate it is), he played the majority of last season at RB, a position which I would say is one of Canada's weakest in depth ever since Stalteri retired, which is usually occupied by a utility player that plays second division Sweden

Quite a similar story to Pacheco, really.

Yes his story is similar though I would rate both the Portugese first and second divisions higher than the Greek equivalents and think there is better depth throughout the table in Portugal. Also the Portugese league is getting better while the Greek is sinking in quality. Pacheco is also a year younger. It is always hard to judge guys just based on where they are playing without seeing them but based on this it would seem like he would be behind Pacheco in the right defensive mid pecking order and Pacheco rightly or wrongly has had a hard time cracking our starting lineup. Still we do not have a lot of depth or options anywhere on the pitch so if he is interested there would be no harm in contacting him and taking a look.

But according to the game by game report on transfermarkt (don't know how accurate it is), he played the majority of last season at RB, a position which I would say is one of Canada's weakest in depth ever since Stalteri retired, which is usually occupied by a utility player that plays second division Sweden

Yes according to transfermarkt it seems he is playing at least half the time as a RB which would make him a bit more interesting to us. The team page does list him as a midfielder so one would assume that is still his best position and he is playing RB because the team is lacking at that position. I checked as much as I could on him using google translate and was able to at least confirm he was born in Toronto so even if he does not currently have citizenship he would be eligible. It refers to his hometown as being the small city of Kozani and states he started his career there so it sounds like he may have grown up in Greece. If anyone does speak Greek there is an interview with him here: http://www.novasports.gr/LiveWebTV.aspx?a_id=71688&mediaFiletypeid=2&mediafileid=257407

The following video is of their last game and it seems like he made the initial pass that led to the second goal:

Yes his story is similar though I would rate both the Portugese first and second divisions higher than the Greek equivalents and think there is better depth throughout the table in Portugal. Also the Portugese league is getting better while the Greek is sinking in quality. Pacheco is also a year younger. It is always hard to judge guys just based on where they are playing without seeing them but based on this it would seem like he would be behind Pacheco in the right defensive mid pecking order and Pacheco rightly or wrongly has had a hard time cracking our starting lineup. Still we do not have a lot of depth or options anywhere on the pitch so if he is interested there would be no harm in contacting him and taking a look.

Yes according to transfermarkt it seems he is playing at least half the time as a RB which would make him a bit more interesting to us. The team page does list him as a midfielder so one would assume that is still his best position and he is playing RB because the team is lacking at that position. I checked as much as I could on him using google translate and was able to at least confirm he was born in Toronto so even if he does not currently have citizenship he would be eligible. It refers to his hometown as being the small city of Kozani and states he started his career there so it sounds like he may have grown up in Greece. If anyone does speak Greek there is an interview with him here:

It's not worth much more than a box of stale Cracker Jacks but Transfermarkt also has them both valued at 350,000 Euros. Would have been good to look at this guy a number of years ago but I agree that Pacheco is likely better and even he gets no quality minutes with us at it is.

The difference is that Koffie wasn't eligible for Canada when he played for Ghana. Acosta has been eligible for Canada his entire life so he remains eligible even though he played for Uruguay's youth team(s).

Awesome so should I add him do you guys think? Referring to Michel Acosta...and wondering also opinions on Aird. List, or no?

It refers to his hometown as being the small city of Kozani and states he started his career there so it sounds like he may have grown up in Greece. If anyone does speak Greek there is an interview with him here: http://www.novasports.gr/LiveWebTV.aspx?a_id=71688&mediaFiletypeid=2&mediafileid=257407

I watched the interview which I believe dates from last season. The interview itself contains nothing of particular importance, he is being asked about the good results in the last few games and to discuss the upcoming game against Atromitos. What I can say is that from the way he speaks Greek, he most certainly must have grown up in Greece, which is probably why he's never really been on the CMNT's radar despite potentially being eligible.

If I'm being completely honest I mostly follow the national team to discover (or more about) these super-obscure Canadians playing abroad, their latest transfers, etc.

Following, Rick Carreira has left his relegated side and joined another second tier Luxembourg side called FC Muhlenbach-Sandzak.

http://www.wort.lu/fr/view/la-promotion-d-honneur-a-l-heure-de-la-reprise-fc-muhlenbach-sandzak-5214c8dde4b02026d9879b16

Not sure how this didn't get posted yet ;>

On the topic of staff abroad Alen Marcina has been named interim head coach of San Antonio Scorpions in NASL. Good for him, hopefully he does well.

Marcina joined the Scorpions as an assistant coach on Hankinson's staff prior to the 2012 season. He was born in Surrey, British Columbia, and attended Barry University where he played soccer. Marcina played professionally over an eight-year career that spanned to over five different countries. The former striker scored 62 goals over the course of his career.

This marks the first head coaching position for the Canadian since he retired from playing in 2010.

"Alen has a great soccer pedigree and recognizes what a great opportunity this is for him," said Cornfield. "While we will immediately commence a worldwide search for the position of head coach, Alen will be considered for the full-time position when he and the team turn things around."

Marcina's first game at the helm will take place on Saturday, August 31st against Minnesota United FC at Toyota Field. His first practice as head coach will take place tomorrow, August 28th at 9:00 AM at Toyota Field.

http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=4673534

Archived