NEW Mother of all Canadians Abroad

madmonte

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a short twitter "conversation" with him on twitter and the guy is upset because as he moved up through Canada's age groups he says "they didn't even contact me" so he moved on to Northern Ireland. He also said "big mistake" on Canada's part. Also, Alain Rochat's wife said the same thing - he played for Switzerland senior (once) because Canada never contacted him. Rochat played quite a bit for Swiss youth.

I had a short twitter "conversation" with him on twitter and the guy is upset because as he moved up through Canada's age groups he says "they didn't even contact me" so he moved on to Northern Ireland. He also said "big mistake" on Canada's part. Also, Alain Rochat's wife said the same thing - he played for Switzerland senior (once) because Canada never contacted him. Rochat played quite a bit for Swiss youth.

That is simply BS on Lavery's part not that we should expect anything else from these types of guys. In 2009 he was playing for our U-17 team at the age of 16. A year later and he is playing for Northern Ireland. There is such a thing as competing for your spot when you graduate to the U19 team instead of betraying your country. He has no right to be upset at anything, it is us that should be upset with him coming on this forum and telling us boldface and shameful lies.

I don't blame Rochat for playing for Switzerland because he is rightfully Swiss but his story sounds a bit fishy too at least if his wife is implying he might have played for us. I don't doubt the CSA could have done a better job in contacting him but he played quite a bit for the Swiss youth teams and I imagine he was expecting his senior career to be more than one game. Yes if he knew beforehand he would only get one senior cap for Switzerland he probably would have preferred us but not knowing that and expecting to have a Swiss national team career I doubt he was very interested in playing for Canada at the time.

Nice, is it official? And for posting purposes, is that basically the same as Augsburg II? Or different?

It's the same as Augsburg II yes. And I meant he switched from Nuernberg to Augsburg. If you click on his profile under transfermarkt and hit "transfers" you see his new club there!

Update: Wrote a quick article about it: http://www.fussballeh.com/item/39-daniel-stanese-switches-clubs-within-bavaria

@Grizzly - I agree with both things you said. I called "bull****" on Rochat's wife's statement, and quite a few V's jumped on me for it. He stance was if Canada wanted him they should have contacted him. My stance was if Rochat wanted to play for Canada he should have contacted CSA. Basically he has been calling himself Canadian and "feels" Canadian (and apparently was listed as Canadian nationality on various sites and competitions) so I challenged her and said "then why didn't he contact CSA if he wanted to be Canadian?"). Like you, I assume, as he was playing/living in Switzerland and had a lot of youth caps for them he assumed he was going to get more than 1 senior cap with them - and fair enough. But it bothers me that he "feels and is Canadian" yet didn't seem to make any attempt to play for the country he apparently has an allegiance too. I call bull on that.

As for Lavery I didn't get into it with him, it was just sort of a "hi, any chance of playing for Canada" that sorta thing. I can't recall exactly what I, or he, said. I'd have to go through my twitter history from earlier this year (2013). I really don't know the Lavery tale.

As for Lavery I didn't get into it with him, it was just sort of a "hi, any chance of playing for Canada" that sorta thing. I can't recall exactly what I, or he, said. I'd have to go through my twitter history from earlier this year (2013). I really don't know the Lavery tale.

Yeah, i was part of that conversation as well. Basically, you (ThiKu) had asked about his situation as a possibility for a senior call-up. I replied that Wednesday had a sent him out on loan and that he hadn't played at all (meaning he'd be an unlikely call-up, his commitment notwithstanding). That's when he replied saying he hadn't played because he got injured at the beginning of the loan and added, "clueless fans, assuming things". Then you (ThiKu) started asking him about his decision, that's when he said that the Canadian U-20 coach didn't even know he was in the UK. Who knows what the whole story is. My guess is there's a half truth there that he's using to justify his decision to switch to N.I. Like Grizz said, if he wanted to commit to Canada, he would have.

Hey fussball, you still watching this thread? What's the story with Julien Latendresse-Levesque? Any idea what's been going on with this guy? He's also out of contract at the end of the month...I know he had a hand or wrist injury or something a while ago that I believe required surgery, but I have hardly heard anything about him since, besides the obvious that he hasn't gotten a lot of time in...any story here?

Daniel Haber signs with Apollon Limassol in Cyprus.

See article on the11.ca

“Maccabi was interested in re-signing me, but because I’m a Jewish player, they wanted me to make aliyah, that is, to get my citizenship,” said Haber in an interview last week from Toronto, just before he left for Cyprus. “That way I wouldn’t have taken up a foreign-player spot. But, at this stage, I still want to be a Canadian citizen only.

Given everything we go through as Canadian soccer fans, it was so delicious to read these words ... Daniel will make a lot of fans back home! Here's hoping that his career takes off.

“Maccabi was interested in re-signing me, but because I’m a Jewish player, they wanted me to make aliyah, that is, to get my citizenship,” said Haber in an interview last week from Toronto, just before he left for Cyprus. “That way I wouldn’t have taken up a foreign-player spot. But, at this stage, I still want to be a Canadian citizen only.

Given everything we go through as Canadian soccer fans, it was so delicious to read these words ... Daniel will make a lot of fans back home! Here's hoping that his career takes off.

He isn't the first Canadian to leave Israel for this reason. Also by the11.ca, interesting note on Tomer, and the choice he will eventually have to make. If you play in Israel, you will eventually feel the pressure, it's inevitable.

http://the11.ca/2013/01/10/three-canadian-players-make-deals-in-the-promised-land-israel-a-hotbed-for-canucks/

Anyways, is this an upward move? Downward move? Or lateral? For me, it's fairly lateral, maybe slightly downward. Haifa is a more prominent team in Europe right now, having competed in Europe that last few years. A notable figure...Haifa's average attendance last year was 11,062. Apollon's was under 4000. Still, they aren't the worst club. Haber should play out of his shorts and GET them to Europe...there's your exposure.

He isn't the first Canadian to leave Israel for this reason. Also by the11.ca, interesting note on Tomer, and the choice he will eventually have to make. If you play in Israel, you will eventually feel the pressure, it's inevitable.

http://the11.ca/2013/01/10/three-canadian-players-make-deals-in-the-promised-land-israel-a-hotbed-for-canucks/

Anyways, is this an upward move? Downward move? Or lateral? For me, it's fairly lateral, maybe slightly downward. Haifa is a more prominent team in Europe right now, having competed in Europe that last few years. A notable figure...Haifa's average attendance last year was 11,062. Apollon's was under 4000. Still, they aren't the worst club. Haber should play out of his shorts and GET them to Europe...there's your exposure.

Tomer was born in Israel so I don't think it's the same situation but I could be wrong.

Great move for Haber with this team competing in UEFA qualifying and a decent enough level for a young striker domestically.

Sherwin Emmanuel was with Southern Samity of the I-League 2nd division (2nd tier) for the 2012-13 season -

http://www.quesports.com/2012/08/17...sherwin-emmanuel-signs-for-southern-samity-fc

Apparently for the 2013 season he is with the Adelaide Cobras of the FFSA National Premier League which is the 2nd tier of football (I think) in Australia.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger/sport/season-preview-teams-in-south-west/story-fnf6m40f-1226581308142

He is eligible for the list because he is a former Canadian U17 international.

http://www.canadasoccer.com/canada-travels-to-central-america-p147799

Sherwin Emmanuel was with Southern Samity of the I-League 2nd division (2nd tier) for the 2012-13 season -

http://www.quesports.com/2012/08/17...sherwin-emmanuel-signs-for-southern-samity-fc

Apparently for the 2013 season he is with the Adelaide Cobras of the FFSA National Premier League which is the 2nd tier of football (I think) in Australia.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger/sport/season-preview-teams-in-south-west/story-fnf6m40f-1226581308142

He is eligible for the list because he is a former Canadian U17 international.

http://www.canadasoccer.com/canada-travels-to-central-america-p147799

Right Toje, I'm looking at it...one minute...

Ok, yeah it's definitely 2nd tier Australia, as of 2013. In fact, the 56 clubs that make up the 2nd tier of National Premier Leagues are all part of that 2nd tier, in 5 distinct territories. It actually looks like a good system to use for a large country...and similar to some of the ideas we've kicked around for a Canadian league system on these forums in the past! Pretty intriguing now that you got me looking at it closely.

Anyways, it brings up the point that with the FFSA Premier League system in effect, as well as the state leagues, the 2nd tier of football in Australia is debatable and convoluted, and the state system, including the Victorian Premier League, where we currently have a Canadian named Nathan Foster listed as playing, also claim 2nd tier status.

Sort of like USL-Pro and NASL...NASL is really considered 2nd tier, but are the teams REALLY better than USL-Pro? That sort of argument...but I'm listing both as 2nd tier for now, and have added Emmanuel.

And I will be checking back on the Thunder soon...I am no longer seeing a Nathan Foster listed there...

Edit: Checked all resources for Nathaniel Foster...he last played for them March of 2013...in fact won an award for 2012 season...but is not resigned for this summer (winter there...) season. Finally found him here...

http://www.sportingpulse.com/team_info.cgi?c=1-8746-124344-244225-16640097&a=STATS

Now known as Nate Foster Bowen for some reason. Keeping him on the list...he isn't on their wiki page, or mentioned on their facebook, yet has scored 4 for them this season. Sometimes I hate searching for players outside of Europe/N. America!!!

Cyprus is currently 6 places above Israel in the UEFA coefficient. I think they have been placed higher most of the last twelve months. That would make this a step up. They are also currently placed above Denmark, and Sweden.

Cyprus is currently 6 places above Israel in the UEFA coefficient. I think they have been placed higher most of the last twelve months. That would make this a step up. They are also currently placed above Denmark, and Sweden.

I understand that the league is considered a step up by UEFA rankings, but I don't take UEFA country rankings as the be all, end all, far from it...but if you read the article even Daniel admits that the club is a touch of a step down. Cyprus have done better in Europe than Israel, but I mean if UEFA rankings and coefficients are what you are interested in, Haifa is ranked 128th, Apollon is ranked 207th in UEFA lists. Haifa is better known in Europe currently, has a bigger stadium, and gets more fans to it's games. As I said, they get almost 3 times the attendance as Apollon. They qualified for the Champions League group stage in '09-'10 and the Europa Group Stage in '11-12, and will again participate in Europa this year, potentially further separating their actual club ranking from Apollon.

In terms of league, Cyprus plays in smaller stadiums, but have done surprisingly well in European competition, owing their ranking in large part to APOEL's amazing 2011-12 run in the Champions League, which saw them to the quarter finals before getting absolutely blown out by Real Madrid 8-2 on aggregate. But they did do better than both Porto AND Zenit St. Petersburg in the group stage, which was impressive! I hope to see Klukowski and APOEL do well this year as well!

Anyways I stand by my assessment...league is rated higher due to APOEL, but I think Haifa is a better team than Apollon. I also think APOEL is better than Haifa. The important thing, which is better for Daniel? Haber says in article himself that this is a better situation for him to get playing time in. And I think what you are meaning is, the overall competition he will face is a step up, and with clubs like APOEL to regularly play against, I can see your point there.

Haber: "I went to Maccabi Haifa because it is a big club. But because it’ s a big club, they bring in a lot of top players and it will be hard to get playing time. Apollon is really a perfect situation for me. They finished sixth last year, which means they have a strong core of players, but will be hungry to improve, so there will be opportunities for players like myself.”

I think league wise it is lateral. Maccabi Haifa is a stronger team than Apollon but if he stayed in Israel he would either have to risk not getting much playing time at Maccabi or sign or get loaned to a team similar to Apollon. Sometimes you can get a break on a big club and get some opportunity but for the most part I think it is better for younger players to go somewhere where they are more likely to get playing time. He is only 20 so getting playing time on a mid to upper table Cypriot team is not a bad place to be for him and if he scores a lot of goals he will get noticed by better teams. I am not an expert on the subject but obviously there are some negatives to taking Israeli citizenship to cause him to refuse it probably concerning things such as military service so given I think he has made a pretty good choice to sign with Apollon.

Hey fussball, you still watching this thread? What's the story with Julien Latendresse-Levesque? Any idea what's been going on with this guy? He's also out of contract at the end of the month...I know he had a hand or wrist injury or something a while ago that I believe required surgery, but I have hardly heard anything about him since, besides the obvious that he hasn't gotten a lot of time in...any story here?

yeah i'm still watching the thread, I was just traveling for two weeks and couldn't dedicate much time to it. I know next to nothing about Julien. I asked in the fan forum about him and they said he had one chance to play for the second team and really didn't do well. Curious to see where he will go.

So many players, who were in Germany last season are totally in doubt what they will do next season. Very tough to keep up :D

Archived