Voyageurs Cup Schedule 2013

About

The 2013 Amway Canadian Championship features a four-team format with teams taking part in a two-legged home-and-away semi-final before repeating the same process in the final. The winning club will lift the Voyageurs Cup and earn the right to represent Canada in 2013-14 CONCACAF Champions League.

With clubs being seeded based on their 2012 league results in Major League Soccer and North American Soccer League, respectively, the 2013 Amway Canadian Championship will feature a pair of regional rivalries in the initial semi-final stage.

The two winners of both semi-finals will then contest the Championship final over two matches on 15 and 29 May. The highest-seeded team in the Championship final will determine whether it plays home or away first.

The 2013 Amway Canadian Championship will serve as the qualification competition for 2013-14 CONACAF Champions League, which in turn determines the confederation’s representative at the FIFA Club World Cup 2014.

Schedule / Results

SEMI-FINAL STAGE

24 April 2013:

FC Edmonton vs. Vancouver Whitecaps FC – Edmonton, AB (Commonwealth Stadium)

Toronto FC vs. Impact Montréal – Toronto, ON (BMO Field)

1 May 2013:

Impact Montréal vs. Toronto FC – Montréal, QC (Stade Saputo)

Vancouver Whitecaps FC vs. FC Edmonton – Vancouver, BC (BC Place)

CHAMPIONSHIP FINAL

15 May 2013:

1st Leg

29 May 2013:

2nd Leg

Thank god this year's Montreal-Toronto game is at Saputo not the Big O. Last year's Voyageurs Cup 0-0 bore in front of 15,000 at the Big O was honestly one of the worst games of the season last year in terms of enjoyment value. The Voyageurs Cup should not be like that.

• 1 month later...

I hope the teams can ramp up the excitement with the casuals so there are better crowds. A sold out Saputo would be awesome for atmosphere, same with BMO and BC Place. It'd be really slick if I could make it to the Edmonton game, but that isn't going to happen.

I hope the teams can ramp up the excitement with the casuals so there are better crowds. A sold out Saputo would be awesome for atmosphere, same with BMO and BC Place. It'd be really slick if I could make it to the Edmonton game, but that isn't going to happen.

V`s Cup is not as big this year than before here I feel, now that we`re in MLS, it`s not as big as an MLS game + there was trouble getting a crowd during midweek games.

• 3 weeks later...
V`s Cup is not as big this year than before here I feel, now that we`re in MLS, it`s not as big as an MLS game + there was trouble getting a crowd during midweek games.

I always feel the opposite. The V's Cup is the game I look forward to most of all for TFC. Winning the Cup actually means something.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder how it will work with 5 Pro teams in Canada next year? Maybe do something similar to the US Open Cup having one game knock out rounds and when it comes to the final 8 include the MLS and NASL sides?

Other idea is a 5 team group stage. (TFC, Van, MTL. EDM, OTT) Home and home. 8 games is a lot to ask but it would be a huge boost to the NASL sides bringing all 3 MLS clubs to town once a year.

I wonder how it will work with 5 Pro teams in Canada next year? Maybe do something similar to the US Open Cup having one game knock out rounds and when it comes to the final 8 include the MLS and NASL sides?

Other idea is a 5 team group stage. (TFC, Van, MTL. EDM, OTT) Home and home. 8 games is a lot to ask but it would be a huge boost to the NASL sides bringing all 3 MLS clubs to town once a year.

Pretty sure that Ottawa & Edmonton will play a play-in game.

I seem to recall reading something official when we went to the new format, that a fourth and fifth teams would do a play-in game in the preceding fall.

Presumably then if Ottawa plays in 2014, they'd do a play-in game in fall 2014 to qualify for the for the 2015 competition. So on that basis, Ottawa wouldn't participate in 2014. Nothing to say that CSA won't change the rules on the fly, as usual though ...

That might make sense from the point of view of cutting down on matches but it would be terrible for helping the Ottawa team survive the most difficult first years of the franchise. If the CSA wants the Ottawa team to survive they have to find a way to ensure that thousands of Impact or TFC fans are heading to Ottawa for a first round match. What would make sense given the congested match schedule is to give the team that won the Cup the year previously a bye into the second round and have the other four teams play the first round .

That might make sense from the point of view of cutting down on matches but it would be terrible for helping the Ottawa team survive the most difficult first years of the franchise. If the CSA wants the Ottawa team to survive they have to find a way to ensure that thousands of Impact or TFC fans are heading to Ottawa for a first round match. What would make sense given the congested match schedule is to give the team that won the Cup the year previously a bye into the second round and have the other four teams play the first round .

This is a great idea. Also, road trips to Ottawa would be quite amazing. I could imagine some decent numbers making it down there, even for a mid-week game. If they could find a way to put it on a weekend during a league bye-week we could see a close to a thousand or more I bet.

I like.

They should go to a 5 team round robin format for now. Each team plays each team once. 2 home games, 2 away games.

To help Ottawa and Edmonton out you could have them get two MLS teams for their home games.

The MLS clubs would like this as it would guarantee them 2 home dates. As opposed to now where they are forced to offer refunds to season ticket holders if they are knocked out of the first round.

Plus this would not add to fixture congestion, as the 4 dates are already blocked off the schedule.

They should go to a 5 team round robin format for now. Each team plays each team once. 2 home games, 2 away games.

To help Ottawa and Edmonton out you could have them get two MLS teams for their home games.

The MLS clubs would like this as it would guarantee them 2 home dates. As opposed to now where they are forced to offer refunds to season ticket holders if they are knocked out of the first round.

Plus this would not add to fixture congestion, as the 4 dates are already blocked off the schedule.

This is the best idea that I have heard so far. Like the old Europa League group stage, with 5 team groups and 4 games played. Yes, it isn't perfectly balanced, but if you have a live draw FA Cup style, you could say that is the way the cookie crumbles.

I'm a fan of this. Would be good to get Ottawa and Edmonton against all Canadian MLS clubs.

Archived