Simeon Jackson

Wingback6

As long as Millwall escape the drop this is probably a good move for him overall. He probably should have gone to Bournemouth in the off-season; he's not a top flight striker, but can you blame him for taking a swipe at Europe, in the Bundesliga no less.

Four goals in the past three seasons (and non for Canada in the same stretch) pretty much says it all. Should be a chance to rejuvenate his career (and he has much left of course - he's still only 26). I could see him bagging ten before season's end.

The Mirror says that it's a done deal. It's a 6-month loan.

Great move for him then.. gets to finish out the year in the Championship, maybe he impresses and gets a contract from Millwall if they stay up or another Championship club but worst case he heads back to Braunschweig to try to cut it in the 2nd Bundesliga next year.

If he was not going to play much for Braunschweig and will play a lot for Millwall then it is a good move especially because it is only for 6 months but I would prefer he stay in Germany and hope he goes back to EB next year even if they are relegated to the 2nd division. Jackson relies too much on his speed and athleticism and needs to be exposed to different styles of play and to a more technical and passing game. Sometimes fighting for a spot and sticking with a team even if you are not playing right away is part of that process. He is just too one dimensional right now and I don't think returning to England is going to help that especially in the Championship. At the moment he is lacking in too many areas to be a true international striker even for a team of Canada's stature and I don't think a return to England is going to change that.

I usually agree with the argument that Germany develops better players for us than England but I think not in Simeon's case, not at age 26. I don't think many clubs are going to still be making much of an effort to mold players of his age. And is he able to adapt? Personally I never saw any promise of him adapting to the wing position for Canada despite some effort and, like you said. He is too one dimensional. This is his preferred style and living situation. I doubt very much that he even wants to adapt to a new style, nevermind being physically able. Maybe a younger and hungrier player like Teibert but at some point a footballer is what he is. And if you don't see him ever adapting to another style or ever becoming that multidimensional striker that we all dream of for the MNT then why not have him bang in goals in the Championship? Also, when he was scoring in England he was a much more regular contributer to the MNT. When I started following rabidly we often dreamed of "developing" Pesch in the same way, much to no avail. If Simeon stays and gets his confidence back I could live with him being a career Championship player.

confirmed on official club website: http://www.millwallfc.co.uk/news/article/simeon-jackson-signs-1332999.aspx

-------------

Millwall sign Simeon JacksonTweet

By Robert Summerscales, Reporter

Filed: Saturday, February 1, 2014 at 14:19 UK

Last Updated: Saturday, February 1, 2014 at 14:21 UK

Millwall confirm that they have signed former Norwich City striker Simeon Jackson.

The 26-year-old joins the Lions on a free transfer, having been released by Eintracht Braunschweig yesterday.

He has put pen to paper on a contract with the Championship club until the end of the season.

More to follow.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/millwall/transfer-talk/news/millwall-sign-simeon-jackson_134439.html

Edited by beachesl
official confirmation

And if you don't see him ever adapting to another style or ever becoming that multidimensional striker that we all dream of for the MNT then why not have him bang in goals in the Championship?

IMO, if Simeon's level is second division, and it seems it is, from a MNT point of view, it's the same if he doesn't play a lot in some first division league or he plays and scores more in some second division league. He won't polish his skills by playing in Championship league. But from Simeon's point of view, the best decision is to go where you play more and you score more.

confirmed on official club website: http://www.millwallfc.co.uk/news/article/simeon-jackson-signs-1332999.aspx

-------------

Millwall sign Simeon JacksonTweet

By Robert Summerscales, Reporter

Filed: Saturday, February 1, 2014 at 14:19 UK

Last Updated: Saturday, February 1, 2014 at 14:21 UK

Millwall confirm that they have signed former Norwich City striker Simeon Jackson.

The 26-year-old joins the Lions on a free transfer, having been released by Eintracht Braunschweig yesterday.

He has put pen to paper on a contract with the Championship club until the end of the season.

More to follow.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/millwall/transfer-talk/news/millwall-sign-simeon-jackson_134439.html

So, to be clear, this is NOT a loan, correct?

IMO, if Simeon's level is second division, and it seems it is, from a MNT point of view, it's the same if he doesn't play a lot in some first division league or he plays and scores more in some second division league. He won't polish his skills by playing in Championship league. But from Simeon's point of view, the best decision is to go where you play more and you score more.

Except that for strikers it is all about confidence. The kind you get by scoring goals. This isn't FM or something. We already have enough Canadians wasting away on benches with zero confidence. Is it doing them any good to be at a more glamorous club or higher profile league?

What FM means? As for the rest, my point is that, confidence or not, he's still a second division level player. Sure, it's better to play with confidence, but even a second division level player with confidence won't help the MNT as the other CONCACAF countries have first division level players. The only way Simeon will contribute to the MNT is to level up.

What FM means? As for the rest, my point is that, confidence or not, he's still a second division level player. Sure, it's better to play with confidence, but even a second division level player with confidence won't help the MNT as the other CONCACAF countries have first division level players. The only way Simeon will contribute to the MNT is to level up.

With the plethora of first division players Canada currently has to choose from? Anyone doing well at a club level helps the MNT right now. Ideally we would have all first division players in there, but right now, besides the MLS guys, Hutchinson, De Guzman, Stamatopoulos, and a couple others in Finland are all we have actually doing that and playing.

With the plethora of first division players Canada currently has to choose from? Anyone doing well at a club level helps the MNT right now. Ideally we would have all first division players in there, but right now, besides the MLS guys, Hutchinson, De Guzman, Stamatopoulos, and a couple others in Finland are all we have actually doing that and playing.

I've never said Canada has the luxury to select first division players. Sure it's a better to have a Simeon Jackson with confidence that a Simeon Jackson without confidence. But confidence is not the only trait of the psychological aspect of the player. There is also pressure. The best players can play at any club under any pressure. The pressure there is in Millwall is not the same that Eintrancht's. The pressure there is in Eintrancht's is nothing compared to the pressure of playing a WCQ match in Honduras, Panama or Costa Rica, to name a few.

Sure, it's better to play with confidence, but even a second division level player with confidence won't help the MNT as the other CONCACAF countries have first division level players. The only way Simeon will contribute to the MNT is to level up.

In an ideal world our CMNT would be swamped with lads starting in the world's best first divisions, but that is not our reality. We had a Swedish third division player starting, and a whole crap loud of Unattached.

Championship is second tier in England but still miles ahead of MLS, and the overwhelming majority of other leagues that our national team players are playing in.

Yeah his contract at Eintracht Braunschweig got terminated, that's why Millwall were able to sign him after the transfer window was already closed.

So he was available on a free and all he could get from a team like Millwall was six months? Ouch. Better light up the league or the next stop could be League One. But maybe it's moot. Millwall's gonna be there eventually anyway, if not this year.

Edited by Marc

IMO, if Simeon's level is second division, and it seems it is, from a MNT point of view, it's the same if he doesn't play a lot in some first division league or he plays and scores more in some second division league.

Completely disagree. I would much rather have an in form, confident, game fit player who is scoring goals regularly in a lower league than a player rotting away on the bench in at a higher level whose only "playing time" is in training sessions.

Agree with jpg75. The merits of Jackson playing in the Championship vs Bundesliga 2 is debatable. He needs to find form and get playing time wherever he goes and at a decent level. Just wish it wasn't for that team. Thing I'm more concerned about is how come no one chasing promotion or the playoffs in the Championship went after him. I would have thought his reputation at Norwich would have gotten him some more interest.

Interesting to note.

At Millwall he joins former Norwich teammate, and fellow striker, Steve Morison who is at the club on loan from Leeds.

I wonder how much Jackson's signing by Holloway had to do with Morison's influence, if there was any at all.

I actually noticed Morison as well, and was thinking...wow, competing against the same guy as at Norwich. I don't honestly think strikers promote their own competition to come and compete at the same spot they traditionally play...at Norwich they weren't on the pitch much at the same time.