JDG2 back in picture

Is this because he needs his Dutch citizenship to land a new contract in Europe first, and then he can ditch the Dutch once the deal in inked? Can you even do that? Or is he thinking that if he returns to Holland for club football he might just attract the attention of the Dutch national team? And is there any sense that Jono is waiting to see what Hoillet does? Or vice versa? Are they each waiting to see how we fare without them before they commit? And why am I asking questions that I know none of us poor saps can answer?

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is this because he needs his Dutch citizenship to land a new contract in Europe first, and then he can ditch the Dutch once the deal in inked? Can you even do that? Or is he thinking that if he returns to Holland for club football he might just attract the attention of the Dutch national team? And is there any sense that Jono is waiting to see what Hoillet does? Or vice versa? Are they each waiting to see how we fare without them before they commit? And why am I asking questions that I know none of us poor saps can answer?

Netherlands is part of the EU, so having an EU passport eliminates any issues with work permits, etc. for EU member countries. I'm guessing that was the primary factor behind his decision to give up his Canadian passport, similar to Tam Nsaliwa. In his early days breaking into the Feyenoord team, he was definitely one of the best up and comers in Holland and represented them at U-21 and U-23 levels, so playing for Holland rather than Canada may have been part of it too. I remember his father being quoted as saying that in order to play in a World Cup, the choice was obvious.

he would have to have been born in the Philippines, ie. natural born citizen, to qualify for the 2 year [spanish] rule.
Where did you see that? Regardless, I think Spain only allows dual-citizenship with those countries that qualify for that fast track citizenship due to their colonial ties.

The Phillipines were a Spanish colony prior to the Spanish-American war of 1898, for what it's worth:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Philippines_%281521%E2%80%931898%29

I think what Rivaldo means is that even if Jono got fast track Spanish citizenship because of a Filipino passport he would not then be able to have Canadian citizen on top of that as well.

Netherlands is part of the EU, so having an EU passport eliminates any issues with work permits, etc. for EU member countries. I'm guessing that was the primary factor behind his decision to give up his Canadian passport, similar to Tam Nsaliwa. In his early days breaking into the Feyenoord team, he was definitely one of the best up and comers in Holland and represented them at U-21 and U-23 levels, so playing for Holland rather than Canada may have been part of it too. I remember his father being quoted as saying that in order to play in a World Cup, the choice was obvious.

Yeah pretty much, but he's not good enough to make the Netherlands squad anyways. Who's spot is he gonna take? Van Persie? Robben? Sneijder? Huntelaar? Van der Vaart? Hence why he started considering Canada. "In order to play in a World Cup, the choice was obvious". He would have a better chance to play in a World Cup with Canada than Holland, frankly.

I learned something today watching the Euro. And that is that playing in Gold Cup does not cap tie a player if the team is a guest team. I wasnt aware that Thiago Motta had played for Brazil in the Gold Cup until the British announcer in the Spain Italy match mentioned it during broadcast.

Sure enough:

http://www.goldcup.org/page/GoldCup/Schedule/0,,12802,00.html

Why oh why does this thread get bumped up again? Is he really going to play for Canada, or is he waiting to make one grand entrance when (and if) we make the next round?

But yes FK, th GC does not cap-tie a player if it's a guest team you're playing or if it's a team that's not a full member of FIFA (eg. Guadeloupe, Greenland, Tibet, Disneyland, etc). ;-)

I learned something today watching the Euro. And that is that playing in Gold Cup does not cap tie a player if the team is a guest team. I wasnt aware that Thiago Motta had played for Brazil in the Gold Cup until the British announcer in the Spain Italy match mentioned it during broadcast.

Sure enough:

http://www.goldcup.org/page/GoldCup/Schedule/0,,12802,00.html

Brazil had a U-23 team. That's why he wasn't cap-tied.

Yeah pretty much, but he's not good enough to make the Netherlands squad anyways. Who's spot is he gonna take? Van Persie? Robben? Sneijder? Huntelaar? Van der Vaart? Hence why he started considering Canada. "In order to play in a World Cup, the choice was obvious". He would have a better chance to play in a World Cup with Canada than Holland, frankly.

i was thinking the exact same thing watching the holland game yesterday....he has zero chance of playing for holland unless his career takes a sharp turn upwards....they brought on the BL1 scoring champion as a freakin' sub!...what place is there for a bench player at club level?

when he became dutch he was a 19 year old starting with feynoord....the national team coach was his former coach....he was seen as the next young star and had interest from teams like chelsea....i'm sure he thought it was a pretty good gamble that his career trajectory would continue and he would easily become the quality to compete for a spot on the national team.....

today he is nearing 25 years old, his career in holland fizzled out, his role reduced to bench player searching for a club....he is no longer the next big thing....he is the big thing that never happened....

it is very obvious that his pondering canada was based on these facts and his recent hedging on that is based on the fact that he can not have both passports.....he wont give up an EU passport to play for canada....he screwed himself by making the decision he did.

seemed like a sure thing 5 years ago, but he gambled and failed.....my guess is that he will never play internationally.

^^ Couldn't have put it any better. Spot on! I'm fine with whatever happens, I'm honestly just tired of caring

Like a number of people, I've ceased to care. It's kind of humiliating now. Canada playing the ugly girl out on the streets searching for her date after he slipped away from the restaurant...

Here's a crazy thought, let's not worry about who hasn't committed/or isn't playing and focus on those who are, and are playing their aces off. If we fail or begin to royally stumble then we can go all conspiracy theory on the topic. Things are looking positive with the team that we have why can't that be the focus?

trueviking summed it up pretty well - but also ignored the injuries he had to recover from which definitely hampered him.

I want him as part of Canada. When I look at our bench/subs/reserves and even our starters I think "if only." Honestly...Ledg has been working his ass off but he'll never have the quality needed for the next level of play and won't force the opposition to plan a tactic around him. Whereas if Canada had JDG2 and Hoilett on top of the other dangerous/fast players we have now they'd be very much setting up differently against us than they do now. Including USA and Mexico. JR and JDG2 aren't "saviours" but they are extremely capable and dangerous players.

I wonder if pining for players who don't want to play for them is actually damaging to their psyche.. I can't imagine it helps focus or confidence. And I wonder if it is worse than that, that it undermines their focus and confidence.

Its promising that Julian is back on form and still commanding a spot for the MNT, because a few months ago it was up in the air. Not only for the reason that I'm sure JDG2 would love to form a midfield with his brother while he still has the chance but also obviously because Julian is still one of our best players.

Archived