Scottish media report on DeRosario having a trial with Celtic

He could go to Middlesborough or Celtic 2.

I do understand what you mean. Celtic is for deRo as good as it gets, if he gets there.

Yeah I just don't see how the SPL could put him in a better spot with the CMNT than he already is.

All I see it doing is turning a large portion of the CMNT fans against him and line DeRo's wallet for a year or 2.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah I just don't see how the SPL could put him in a better spot with the CMNT than he already is.

All I see it doing is turning a large portion of the CMNT fans against him and line DeRo's wallet for a year or 2.

Even if a large portion of CMNT fans turned on De Ro, I don't think he'd care, though I don't know if there are many in his corner right now anyway. This is a guy who has answered the call only twice since fall of 2008 (the glamour friendly vs Argentina and in front of the home fans vs Peru). If it lines his wallet, great for him.

Even if a large portion of CMNT fans turned on De Ro, I don't think he'd care, though I don't know if there are many in his corner right now anyway. This is a guy who has answered the call only twice since fall of 2008 (the glamour friendly vs Argentina and in front of the home fans vs Peru). If it lines his wallet, great for him.

To be fair, he also answered the call in January 2010 against Jamaica but injured himself during training if my memory serves me right.

If the rumours about him turning down Blackburn are true that's too bad. Better competition and would be in camp with Hoilet

Those rumors were 5 years ago, it seems.

DeRo received a 6 month contract offer from Blackburn about 5 years ago, but turned it down because he wanted more stability.

to rot on the bench untill he went back home to Japan.

And he did not go to Celtic when he was over 30 and then make more out of it.

DeRo is going there as 32 year old there is no premier league tunnel at the end of this road for him.

I wish DeRo all the best. What sort of lousy rep has he had for the last 8 years, unable to get to a European league all this time? At least 2nd tier in England or Spain I would have thought.

BTW, I think Celtic has miles more history and "accolades" than Espanyol.

My favourite comment in the thread:

"although the money is a big part of it, I think dero is used to playing for a competent team with a winning mentality.if tfc were in contention for the shield or the cup I don't think you would see as much dissatasfaction on the part of dero, and when fans(and owners) see teams do well, they are more willing to see players rewarded"

Ljungberg didn't play because of illness, but Lennon's posturing was clinical:

Celtic 2-0 (0-0) Rangers (FT)

Okay, analysis.

One of the areas I will really disagree with is the bit around how players can't manufacture an out if they're unhappy with their contract. That may be true for most of the plumbers but I don't think the same circumstances apply to DDR. He's 32, his career is as much as behind him so nobody can threaten his future in the same way you can with younger players. He has no future, it's all the here and now for him and everything else going forward is just a bonus. And the ridicules MLS rules have given DDR huge leverage. If you want to tie up 15% of your salary cap, 1/8th of your player budget, paying a player who doesn't want to play for you than you go right ahead. Good luck with that. Let me know how that works out for you, JdV.

The second is scale of a pay. The wages of your teammates and fellow players on other teams within your league are the scale by which you will be and should expect to be paid.

But if JdV is right in saying DDR is probably being paid what he's worth in MLS it only makes the argument to go overseas. It only highlights the miserable truth that MLS' star players can go over to Europe and make more money being squad players. LOL. Might not want to advertise that, JdV. Makes MLS look Mickey Mouse.

Two final thoughts for an already long post;

Am I the only one who thinks this whole situation got out of hand and has taken on a life of it's own? If TFC HQ had announced DDR was going over to Scotland to train and maybe have a short loan spell would there have been as much reaction in Toronto soccer circles? And what sort of reactions would we see?

Georgios Samaras with the brace today (at Ibrox) to keep Celtic's league hopes alive. Only reason I mention this is because the flaky Greek reminds me in some ways of DDR. Can be frustrating to watch and leaves you sometimes wondering if he does as much harm as good to the attack but he does score goals. Just saying.

I love the fact that even though JDV and DDR are former teammates he doesn't pull out the kid-gloves treatment that we have seen so often in this country:

"Look around the league, and ask yourself this question: How many teams would trade for De Rosario and offer him a designated player slot and a seven-figure salary?

The answer? None.

So in MLS, Dwayne De Rosario is not a million dollar player. He thinks he is because of the ridiculous contracts that were offered to some of his teammates, but that says more about how poorly the club was managed under Mo Johnston than how poorly De Rosario is being paid.

In fact, I've had numerous colleagues around the league tell me that they think he is overpaid at $443,750.

MLS is a value-based league, and every team is looking for players who make big contributions at a minimal cost. Just look at San Jose's Chris Wondolowski. He outscored De Rosario - and everyone else in the league this year - and took home just $48,000.

When you compare his salary to De Rosario's, it is pretty clear to see who is underpaid. De Rosario needs to get his head around that - or hope that he can convince Celtic to pay him what no one in MLS will."

I think Jeffrey has it right when he says that most of the real injustices that have gone on were by the hands of his own agent for not manufacturing a move mid-career when he was already a bona-fide MLS star and still had a long career ahead of him.

The only other injustice was done to Dwayne by himself, for evidently not pushing himself hard enough for a move to Europe as so many other talented MLS products have over the last decade. From where I am sitting it looks very much like he never wanted it all that badly until all this dissatisfaction arose at TFC.

I think JdV is being unfair and inconsistent with this post. He states that he won't judge DeRo about the trial until he hears from him directly, but then DOES judge his salary expectations without knowing a) what promises he was made by TFC, B) what salary he is expecting and c) what other teams are willing to pay him.

He is correct in that no player should judge his market value by comparing himself to other players on his team, but it is also unfair for JdV to compare him to Wondolowski, who by all accounts was the #1 most underpaid player in the league (possible the entire world at $48K) last year.

I'm happy to read JdV's blog about Canadian soccer, but I totally disagree with him on DeRo...I think he has been too critical of him.

I think JdV is being unfair and inconsistent with this post. He states that he won't judge DeRo about the trial until he hears from him directly, but then DOES judge his salary expectations without knowing a) what promises he was made by TFC, B) what salary he is expecting and c) what other teams are willing to pay him.

He is correct in that no player should judge his market value by comparing himself to other players on his team, but it is also unfair for JdV to compare him to Wondolowski, who by all accounts was the #1 most underpaid player in the league (possible the entire world at $48K) last year.

I'm happy to read JdV's blog about Canadian soccer, but I totally disagree with him on DeRo...I think he has been too critical of him.

JDV's article is rambling. So Wondolowski is a great example of players in MLS getting wildly underpaid, great. Thats just an example why Dero should fight for a higher salary, and sure MLS salary wise Dero's value may be at market value, so given this and given that he is 32 and has a small window to make money in this game I would do the exact same thing and hope for the best for him.

Hilarious and unfair because Wondo was awful in every season prior to this one, whereas De Rosario has been good since he entered MLS.

DeRo can try to renegociate his contract if he feels like he's in a strong position to do so (which is really debatable to be fair) but at the end of the day he signed it, so it's his problem if he is unhappy with it.

He'll have a better opportunity to plead his case at the end of the contract. So far, I've found his negociations tactics really awkward.

What happens to players who under-perform in MLS? Are salaries guaranteed? If DeRo had an off year does anyone here believe he would be willing to renogotiate his salary? He agreed to salary I would assume for the financial security of him and his family. Now suck it up and play.

Jason is quite right.

Jason is quite wrong. De Rosario is a player who has performed in MLS consistently over his entire career and TFC's top goalscorer in the past two seasons. Wondolowski had a fluke year and scored high. Another thing not taken into account by many who are calling De Rosario selfish is that in the past he got a lot of assists with Houston and San Jose, because he had options. At TFC he has had no-one to pass to who could be described as a goalscorer.

Here's a major bit of what annoys me about the "let's lynch DeRo" movement though. Mista and De Guzman are given DP contracts based on their entire body of work outside of MLS. Their history in Europe was the deciding factor in their rate of pay. De Rosario has an amazing body of work in MLS and has a proven track record as a four time MLS cup winner, a constant member of the Best XI and the Allstars. For some reason though, people only seem to want to talk about his performance in the 2010 season, which by the way was still phenomenal.

DeRo's market value is $425K a year. How do i know this? Because that's what his contract - which has 2 years left on it - says. When he was negotiating his deal prior to the 2009 season he had every opportunity to demand more than that amount based on his "body of work in MLS", and evidently he did not and instead settled for $425K. If DeRo really wanted a big payday this winter he should have never negotiated an extra 2 years back in '09.

What Mista and De Guzman negotiated in terms of financial compensation is irrelevant in this situation. If Dwayne or any of his sympathizers wants to blame someone, blame his former agent (and himself) for settling for less than (in his mind) he's worth.

DeRo's market value is $425K a year. How do i know this? Because that's what his contract - which has 2 years left on it - says. When he was negotiating his deal prior to the 2009 season he had every opportunity to demand more than that amount based on his "body of work in MLS", and evidently he did not and instead settled for $425K. If DeRo really wanted a big payday this winter he should have never negotiated an extra 2 years back in '09.

What Mista and De Guzman negotiated in terms of financial compensation is irrelevant in this situation. If Dwayne or any of his sympathizers wants to blame someone, blame his former agent (and himself) for settling for less than (in his mind) he's worth.

Keep in mind Dwayne signed that contract when the rules were different which makes it a whole new ball game. When he signed his deal DP rules as well as the salary cap were different AND MOST IMPORTANTLY Dwayne signed his deal BEFORE he carried TFC on his back and had CAREER YEARS in his two seasons here. Dwayne has cemented his spot as one of the greatest MLS players ever... is he honestly going to retire never having made even a half a million a season while new players with no MLS pedigree whatsoever come in and make double or even triple that?

Its a crime and I can't believe the people defending this joke of a league MLS and joke of an organization MLSE

Keep in mind Dwayne signed that contract when the rules were different which makes it a whole new ball game. When he signed his deal DP rules as well as the salary cap were different AND MOST IMPORTANTLY Dwayne signed his deal BEFORE he carried TFC on his back and had CAREER YEARS in his two seasons here. Dwayne has cemented his spot as one of the greatest MLS players ever... is he honestly going to retire never having made even a half a million a season while new players with no MLS pedigree whatsoever come in and make double or even triple that?

Its a crime and I can't believe the people defending this joke of a league MLS and joke of an organization MLSE

Dwayne was already one of the better players in the league when he was traded to TFC. He asked to be made a DP and was told no, he didn't have the leverage to force MLSE's hand and he still doesn't. He gave away any advantage in negotiations he had when he signed long term deals in '07 and '09. He gave up on a trial contract with Blackburn because he wanted stability and then signed in 2007 a $200K a year deal for 4 years for the same reason. Then 2 years later asks for another 4 year deal for $425K - and gets it - when he could have waited out the end of his contract and cashed in this winter. The guy doesn't know what he wants and i don't see how that's MLSE's problem.

Yes, the DP rules were slightly different 2 years ago - you could only sign 1 DP and had to trade for a 2nd slot. If TFC/MLSE really felt DeRo was their man and was worthy of being a DP they would have signed him to a DP deal. If DeRo felt he was worth a DP deal he should been adamant that was what he was worth and not settled for less. If he didn't like the terms of the new deal he should have said screw it, and waited for his existing contract to run out and then bolt as a free agent for Europe. They didn't, he didn't and here we are.

Archived