Scottish media report on DeRosario having a trial with Celtic

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DeRo to Celtic would arguably result in more play for Canada. Last Gold Cup he didn't attend because he was focused on the TFC season. Celtic aren't playing during the Gold Cup and also break for FIFA dates (what a concept, right?) not to mention that any way you slice it, Celtic are playing in a higher level league than MLS, making DeRo an attractive midfield option. It would be good for Canada, DeRo, and Celtic if he made a permanent move there, but not so much for TFC's short term ambitions.

That's a terribly wrong statement, how is playing teams like Kilmarnock, Hamilton Academy, Aberdeen, Hibs and St. Johnstone better quality than the teams like RSL, Crew, Dallas, Sounders and Rapids.

Besides the Old Firm, there is no higher level of play at Celtic for DeRo, maybe one qualifying playoff for europe every year where they get smacked around by a club like Beskijtas.

The difference between the MLS and SPL, are leaning more to the MLS as the years pass, there been tallks of making the SPL 10 teams, that's regression, while the MLS is progressing. 10 teams is pathetic for a top flight league in Europe, without Celtic and Rangers (who should move to the Football League, give them a start at the Champions League see if they can progress into the PL) the SPL is barely a step over Ireland's league.

Even our Star players starting to be above SPL standards. Gotta think our teams are more competitive than the SPL with the more of a spread of talent in the league.

To quote DeRo (from his facebook page)

Thanks to all the Celtic supporters, players & coaching staff for making my trip to Scotland pleasant & memorable. TFC has denied Celtic's interest for a short term loan so I will be returning. Wish the Celtic club & supporters all the best for 2011. Cheers!!

^ Compare Dwayne's comment with that of Winter's:

"Celtic inquired about the possibility of extending Dwayne's time with them," Toronto coach Aron Winter said Friday. "My preference is for Dwayne to start the season with Toronto FC right from training camp.

"We are making a fresh start and need a strong competitive camp. Dwayne is the captain and leader and needs to be part of building a new winning culture." (Source)

So far I'm a big fan of Winter.

Odd article by Wheeler. Seems like he's bending over backwards to defend DeRo and Celtic (for some reason).

A couple problems I had:

A short-term loan was all De Rosario and Celtic were ever looking for from the get-go. Loan deals as such have become rather commonplace in MLS.

Commonplace? There's been Donovan and Beckham. Maybe Blanco. For as good as Wheeler thinks Derosario has been in MLS ("One of the best in the history of the league") Donovan has been better, so that's understandable. Beckham, and to a lesser extent Blanco (if he indeed had a loan spell like this) have a cachet that would allow them to organize one of these deals. Two high profile loan deals does not make the practice common place.

TFC has let their Captain’s named be dragged through the mud by media members, many of whom have never laid a foot at BMO Field, and bloggers, who never bothered to speak to the player himself to understand both sides of the story.

Isn't that because he refused all interviews? Pretty sure it wasn't for a lack of trying that no one got Derosario's side of the story.

De Rosario is not only Toronto FC’s best player, but also the team’s inspirational leader. And for a hometown player, who just so happens to be one of the best players in MLS history, who has done everything and more he’s been asked for by the dysfunctional club, to have his name and reputation dragged through the mud is an embarrassment.

Except for making sure all the insurance ramifications are in place before training with a different team. Wasn't what it all initially boiled down to?

Can the fences be mended? Possibly. De Rosario is a team first guy and loves the city of Toronto.

Not according to his facebook status or he wouldn't have written something so petulant. Or according to his more famous goal celebrations.

• 2 weeks later...

DeRo continues to show himself as a greedy player with no class:

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/TorontoFC/2011/01/26/17043556.html

Toronto FC still has issues

Captain De Rosario needs some guarantees, others need contracts

By RYAN WOLSTAT, QMI Agency

Though happy faces were put on by all Toronto FC employees at media day Wednesday at BMO Field, it is clear the club’s new management team has issues it must quickly take care of.

After some prodding, captain and all-time leading scorer Dwayne De Rosario revealed that he isn’t comfortable risking his future by playing this season without guarantees added to his contract.

De Rosario, like most of his compatriots, has been toiling seemingly forever without guarantees, he is in an option year and said he has to think about his livelihood and providing for his family, meaning he can’t risk getting injured with no financial promises looming down the line.

Given that he is one of the greatest performers in Major League Soccer’s history and TFC's most dangerous player, De Rosario has a point and it is hard to see TFC letting this situation linger with camp opening in Turkey later this week.

De Rosario said he believes a deal will be completed, but also pointed out if getting the details ironed out were a huge priority for new technical director/head coach Aron Winter and general manager Paul Mariner, “It would have gotten done a long time ago.”

For the first time, De Rosario came out and said he should be given a designated player contract. Fellow Torontonian Julian de Guzman is the teams’ only existing DP, after Spanish bust Mista was let go in the off-season.

"It's what I think I deserve," he said.

De Rosario also said he had no regrets about how his off-season trial with legendary Scottish side Celtic was handled “I didn’t know there was confusion (on TFC’s part about him being in Scotland) until I saw some press release,” De Rosario said, before adding to reporters: “If the New York Times asked you to write for them would you go?”

De Rosario clarified that he had no intentions of staying with Celtic, but said he saw a short-term loan with the club as a great opportunity that would have improved his play upon his return to MLS.

Less troublesome, but still affairs that need to be put in order are the contract situations of Canadian defenders Nana Attakora and team MVP Adrian Cann, arguably the top defensive performers in Toronto in 2010.

Attakora said he did not sign a new deal in the off-season because he wanted to let the front office and coaching situation settle first. Now that the new regime is in place, Attakora sounded hopeful a deal would quickly be worked out.

Cann was more hesitant, saying the situation is a bit of a distraction that he hopes his agent will take care of.

De Guzman said he will start running again in Turkey following off-season knee surgery and expects to be 100% by the time TFC’s training camp shifts to Charleston, South Carolina on March 2nd.

After some prodding, captain and all-time leading scorer Dwayne De Rosario revealed that he isn’t comfortable risking his future by playing this season without guarantees added to his contract.

De Rosario, like most of his compatriots, has been toiling seemingly forever without guarantees, he is in an option year and said he has to think about his livelihood and providing for his family, meaning he can’t risk getting injured with no financial promises looming down the line.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't that the case with any player in the last year of his contract?

Cathal Kelly of The Star put it nicely:

Dwayne De Rosario deserves DP money. He should have thought of that before he re-upped two years ago.

In the end, the problem is not that Toronto FC won’t bet on De Rosario. It’s that when given a chance, De Rosario decided not to bet on himself.

http://www.thestar.com/article/928745--kelly-no-raise-no-play-tfc-captain-warns

And that was my point, thank you Cathal. If DeRo felt he was worth that kind of money then he should have toughed it out for another 2 years with his previous contract and he would have been a free agent this winter. He could have gone to Celtic without anyone's permission and signed with them for whatever they were willing to pay. Comments from Tom Anselmi and the Durbin guy from MLS sum it up nicely, they re-did his last contract 2 years ago and now he wants another do-over? Sorry pal, better luck next time.

And that was my point, thank you Cathal. If DeRo felt he was worth that kind of money then he should have toughed it out for another 2 years with his previous contract and he would have been a free agent this winter. He could have gone to Celtic without anyone's permission and signed with them for whatever they were willing to pay. Comments from Tom Anselmi and the Durbin guy from MLS sum it up nicely, they re-did his last contract 2 years ago and now he wants another do-over? Sorry pal, better luck next time.

+1

thats disappointing....so is the attitude of the people on this forum regarding dero....you guys talk like he's the only professional athlete who thought he deserved more money.....and considering that he was pretty much the team's entire offence, he likely has a case.

It's all getting rather too predictable now isn't it?

So DDR goes to off to Glasgow and after getting called back to Toronto doesn't seem the least bit shy about orchestrating an exit. Guess the trip to Glasgow didn't exactly instill a feeling of gratitude in Dwayne for his non guaranteed MLS contract did it? Wonder why that is?

Think we all know how the rest of this little drama is going to play out over the next several months.

Hope TFC HQ has something lined up in the DP department and I mean right now, not July because if they don't they are fu'ked.

Oh, and I'll repeat myself by saying I very much doubt TFC will replace DDR's goals for a half million dollars. Not by a long shot. And they might well spend a heck of a lot more and not replace DDR's goals.

thats disappointing....so is the attitude of the people on this forum regarding dero....you guys talk like he's the only professional athlete who thought he deserved more money.....and considering that he was pretty much the team's entire offence, he likely has a case.

Is it unrealistic to think that someone who signs a two-year contract should have to play out that contract before whining and holding out for a new one?

de Guzman: $1,700.000.00 (largely disappointing)

Mista: $987,337.50 (striker - 0 goals)

de Rosario: $443,750.00 (12 of 26 goals, another 3 assists)

The problem is the ridiculous combination of a salary cap and the DP rule in the MLS. When you sign two players between $1-2 million dollars who do very little for it and have another earning a fraction who carries the team - does anyone really expect them to not think they deserve more? Does anyone really wonder why they want to move to somewhere they get what they deserve?

The standard repartee is: you think you're worth it - prove it.

Well, the guy did.

And if DDR was half the chump people make him out to be he would have put his feet up on the coffee table, quit giving a damn and scoring goals and gone into don't-give-a-damn cruise mode like a few other people. He could have just cashed his cheques and put his mind and energy into his fast-approaching second career. Maybe gone back to university part-time or started a second trade and just showed up and gone through the motions and banked his money and produced nothing and said nothing - and made most people here wildly happy.

I like the idea of 1 guaranteed year with club options. I'm sure JdG's salary will fall next year (unless his surgery recovery gives him something he didn't have last year) so linking the two is not unreasonable.

TFC have to live with that particular albatross.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't this the 3rd and final year in Julians' contract?

If it were up to me I would bench DDR until he stops whining and gets on with the job on the terms he willingly accepted when signing his current contract or invite him to request a transfer. But I can understand his resentment of JDG whose contract in retrospect was a grave mistake by the club, they were hoodwinked.

If it were up to me I would bench DDR until he stops whining and gets on with the job on the terms he willingly accepted when signing his current contract or invite him to request a transfer. But I can understand his resentment of JDG whose contract in retrospect was a grave mistake by the club, they were hoodwinked.

Agree Richard. Just because the grass looks greener over there, it's not a good reason to not do your very best "with out the whining" on a contract he willingly accepted.

If it were up to me I would bench DDR until he stops whining and gets on with the job on the terms he willingly accepted when signing his current contract or invite him to request a transfer.
I don't see any evidence that his play has suffered. And I don't see any evidence of whining, other than that cheque-signing thing that he apologised for months ago.

His attitude during the interviews and Q&A that has been broadcast certainly looked fine - even after the media ignored his request to leave it alone.

And good grief, someone quoted Cathal Kelly?

Archived