Scottish media report on DeRosario having a trial with Celtic

I usually cheat on my GF in order to communicate to her that I want more sex....

I'm wondering sometimes if DeRo is receiving advices from the Lebron James entourage

I understand your point and I agree with you. Of course it's unacceptable from him, IF that's really the case. But like I said it, it's just a guess from me. I can't see another possible way to put these events together.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Football players trade clubs as they please all the time regardless of their contracts for the simple fact it's a poor practice keeping unhappy players around. That's a fact of footballing life. Happens all the time, in every league, all around the world and everybody knows it.

And to my mind DDR skipping off to Glasgow to trial for another club without the knowledge of his parent club seems like a pretty firm way of DDR telling TFC management it's time they went their separate ways.

Suppose if DDR had been bumped up to Mista (or better still de Guzman) style compensation none of this would have happened, but for good or bad it has, and so here we are.

Kind of a lose-lose situation really. DDR's requests for improved compensation has as much as been ignored by TFC management. Sort of tells Dwayne everything he needed to know when he didn't get a big, fat, raise within months of seasons end but then again he and TFC might just be victims of timing. Any other season TFC management might have been in place (not distracted by other in-office events) to secure their top goal scorer for the seasons ahead.

Bad situation all around though. Hard to imagine TFC keeping DDR on and happy should his Celtic kick-about amount to nothing without giving him the money he wants, but if the do, well, I can just imagine. That isn't a can of worms I'd be willing to open.

Good luck to DDR frankly in his hunt for a new job with better pay - we all do that from time to time. He was clearly unhappy at TFC and since he was not given any significant pay raise the club was obviously not too satisfied with his overall performance. Both factors would merely lead to further trouble and poor performance down the road. Best they get a divorce sooner rather than later. Contractual issues can always be resolved one way or another.

Good luck to DDR frankly in his hunt for a new job with better pay - we all do that from time to time.

True, but breaching a contract clause like that won't help his situation at all. For example, I can't see Celtic being too happy with some bad publicity coming from an unknown trialist (DeRo isn't know in Scotland). The cheque signing incident plus this won't help him in his search for DP like contract in the league.

He was clearly unhappy at TFC and since he was not given any significant pay raise the club was obviously not too satisfied with his overall performance.

He is in the middle of a contract. Is TFC oblige to give a pay raise to every player who they are "satisfied" with their overall performances? DeRo signed that contract 2 years ago, so TFC doesn't have an obligation to renegociate. Let's also add that the cheque signing incident might have been a reason why TFC aren't too keen in giving DeRo more money.

Both factors would merely lead to further trouble and poor performance down the road. Best they get a divorce sooner rather than later. Contractual issues can always be resolved one way or another.

True, but I can't see DeRo coming out a winner after all this. It's not looking well on him. DEro is looking really unprofessionnal with his contractual issues.

It doesn't look good for Toronto FC either and contract issues can always be resolved if there is a will on the part of both parties, which there evidently isn't here. An unhappy employer and an unhappy employee (and DDR made it very plain he was unhappy) does not make for improved productivity no matter whether TFC believes they have a contractual stranglehold on the employee or not. Toronto FC ought to have taken steps to resolve the differences before matters reached thius point if they really wanted to retain DDR's services, since they didn't they should not be surprised that the employee is looking for a new job elsewhere. This is straightforward labour management, pro sports is a business like any other.

Who really wants to work for a disfunctional organisation such as TFC apparently is at the moment and has been for some time anyway? I am surprised more players aren't looking for work elsewhere.

People should not forget that TFC already renegotiated DeRo's old contract when he was acquired via trade from Houston. He had signed a 4 year deal paying him approx. $200K in Houston a couple of years earlier and then started grumbling about his contract which is why we ended up getting him for Julius James, money and a draft pick. So here we are another 2 years later and now it's a $425K a year deal that isn't good enough. Just sell him to Celtic, take the $335K cap hit off the books and pocket the $500K allocation money (assuming he's sold for atleast $750K).

People should not forget that TFC already renegotiated DeRo's old contract when he was acquired via trade from Houston. He had signed a 4 year deal paying him approx. $200K in Houston a couple of years earlier and then started grumbling about his contract which is why we ended up getting him for Julius James, money and a draft pick. So here we are another 2 years later and now it's a $425K a year deal that isn't good enough. Just sell him to Celtic, take the $335K cap hit off the books and pocket the $500K allocation money (assuming he's sold for atleast $750K).

First thought that comes to mind is... yeah, and?

This is football. DDR is a piece of meat. TFC or Houston or whoever would have and will sell his ass off to the highest bidder should the opportunity come along, at current market value. With that in mind he's suppose to assume his 2011 market value is equal to his 2007 market value contract or no? Really? TFC will sell him off to Celtic pretending his 15 goals in 2010 never happen because he signed some contract in 2007? Right...

Shrug. It's a ****ty business but it is what it is. Soccer is not different than any other sport in that regard it's just that we in NA tend to get into the illusion that when it comes to the sports entertainment industries a deal is a deal. When it serves the club owners purposes anyway.

Regardless, good luck replacing 50% of your teams goals next season at $400K. Or a million five for that matter. I mean that sincerely. At DDR's age you'd have to sooner or later anyway, I just think the suits at TFC are betting Trader Mo's firing will buy them a bit of a second chance with the local ticket buyers and they think they can afford to let a disgruntled star player, their only star player, go without suffering too much. I think they're wrong.

It doesn't look good for Toronto FC either and contract issues can always be resolved if there is a will on the part of both parties, which there evidently isn't here. An unhappy employer and an unhappy employee (and DDR made it very plain he was unhappy) does not make for improved productivity no matter whether TFC believes they have a contractual stranglehold on the employee or not. Toronto FC ought to have taken steps to resolve the differences before matters reached thius point if they really wanted to retain DDR's services, since they didn't they should not be surprised that the employee is looking for a new job elsewhere. This is straightforward labour management, pro sports is a business like any other.

Who really wants to work for a disfunctional organisation such as TFC apparently is at the moment and has been for some time anyway? I am surprised more players aren't looking for work elsewhere.

I disagree completely. TFC is in a position of strength. Why would they renegotiate DeRo's contract when there is virtually no market force compelling them to do so? No team in MLS will pay him a higher salary and when his contract runs out he'll be too old to realistically jump to Europe for more money.

DeRo is taking a huge risk here. I suspect that he's been less than honest with Celtic regarding his contract situation (why else would a high-profile club risk running afoul of FIFA transfer rules and risk the associated sanctions for an ageing player with limited upside?) If his trial is successful, TFC can scupper the transfer by demanding a higher fee than Celtic are willing to pay. If Celtic offer a fee that TFC is happy with, he'll move. If his trial is unsuccessful, DeRo will find himself back in Toronto where he was at the start of all this carry on, only he'll be virtually castrated as far as negotiating strength. I foresee this all blowing up very badly in DeRo's face.

Dero's anitcs over the last few years are indicative of a very poor attitude; an attitude that we can not afford to have on our national team. Is it any wonder that some of our best games have been minus Dero over the last 2-3 years?

Having said that. I am very curious to see how he would fit in in Europe.

I disagree completely. TFC is in a position of strength.
Not so in my view. The state of disarray at TFC, their abysmal on field performance since day one and DDR's obvious discontent very openly expressed by him is hardly a position of strength for TFC, they need DDR much more than he needs them.

My guess on the situation is that DeRo is still wants a pay raise and this is his way to communicate things. Something similar to the pay cheque celebration but it's now on another level?

yeah...or its possible that at the age of 32 one of the most famous clubs on earth offered him a trial and he jumped at the opportunity....wouldnt you?

if you were playing for the pawtucket puckhounds and the toronto maple leafs called and asked you to try out...would you not go?

i cant believe all you guys acting like this is the first time this has happened in soccer....players move to bigger clubs all the time....people move to better jobs all the time.

he is not being classless...he's being a footballer....players request transfers every day.

he has a once in a lifetime opportunity to fulfill a dream that every man who has ever kicked a soccer ball has had....to play for one of the world's great teams.....i say good luck dero....dont look back.

MLS will be there if it doesnt work.....TFC or wherever.

yeah...or its possible that at the age of 32 one of the most famous clubs on earth offered him a trial and he jumped at the opportunity....wouldnt you?

if you were playing for the pawtucket puckhounds and the toronto maple leafs called and asked you to try out...would you not go?

i cant believe all you guys acting like this is the first time this has happened in soccer....players move to bigger clubs all the time....people move to better jobs all the time.

he is not being classless...he's being a footballer....players request transfers every day.

he has a once in a lifetime opportunity to fulfill a dream that every man who has ever kicked a soccer ball has had....to play for one of the world's great teams.....i say good luck dero....dont look back.

DeRo went there without the proper paperworks being submitted (in part a question of insurance). That means that TFC and MLS could be place in a tough situation if DeRo had injured himself for the season this morning at a Celtic practice (TFC would have to pay for that?) . I'm sorry but that's different than asking a transfer request. That is being purely irresponsible (if the reports are true) and lacking respect toward a club that has done nothing wrong so far (they are honoring the contract, yes?).

I'm telling you, the guy is receiving very poor advices here and it's not helping him at all.

Not so in my view. The state of disarray at TFC, their abysmal on field performance since day one and DDR's obvious discontent very openly expressed by him is hardly a position of strength for TFC, they need DDR much more than he needs them.

It's about the contract, it's their decision to make and he can only do so much on his end (No matter how good he plays and no matter how much they need him he won't magically get to change the terms of his contract unilaterally). He could probably fuss his way out of the contract (by being locker room poison) but I'd hardly call that a position of strength (compared to 730 days of contractual obligation).

Pointing out TFC's problems isn't exactly apt when determining who's in charge of the contract renegotiations, sure theirs examples of athletes crying to get their way, but theirs also alot of examples of teams refusing to negotiate, because it's their call, some teams have literally let players languish on the bench because the ownership didn't like how the player went about things. We've all seen professional athletes get out of a contract but in reality, breaching a contract tends to have some pretty steep consequences and the only reason alot of big teams don't litigate is because it's bad pr after they have already made their decision to part ways (litigation and rolling eyes go hand in hand).

Ultimately the power is with the club, if they decided to keep him (their call), what could he do? Not play despite his contract? TFC would call MLS, get the salary cap relief anyways and sue him for breaching his contract and them dump him with a big fat 'labour nightmere' stamp on his resume. At most he could 'not try' but most people don't even consider that an option (maybe this would be the perfect time for the 'I refuse to celebrate' celebration to come back). TFC is in the position of power cause it's their call, all he can do is try and affect that, they could have fielded the world poker tour and lost every game for all it matters, he should have thought of that before signing the contract.

That said, TFC may well decide it's in their best interest to let him go (I'm personally hoping 'loaning MLS players' is becoming a bit of a trend in this example) because of all this fuss, in which case he may have 'won' but it's still their call. Making a huge fuss/breaking rules is not a legitimate way of getting out of contract. It's like claiming to be in a position of strength because your the only one willing to kick someone in the nuts, not really a strength.

I think you are making reference to the comment of punks like Teal Bunbury going to Europe before DeRo. But didn't DeRo opted to establish himself in Germany years ago? My understanding is that he couldn't and played back in NA, that's where he found more stability in MLS. Also, the Blackburn offer has been mentioned as well and he turned down the offer. At 32 years of age, to me, it seems more that he's willing quit TFC than trying to establish himself in Europe.

How credible would De Ro's brother be?

I've never heard of him before, but a John Molinaro piece quotes Earl Cochrane admitting that he knew: ""I was contacted a little more than a month ago by Dwayne (De Rosario) and his representative - asking if we would entertain a loan or training stint. We said we would " subject to paperwork being done. Which suggests to me that DeRo's brother is correct about TFC knowing about this.

In this article DeRo's agent indicates that he isn't over there on trial: http://www.thesun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3321850/Dwayne-storm.html

which maybe is where the "dispute" is over, as Cochrane's comments in the TFC press release uses that term. Edit: Check that, the quote from the TFC press release is "We were unaware of Dwayne's plan to train with Celtic and we will contact them to understand the situation", which is wholly inconsistent with the Cochrane quote from the Molinaro piece: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2010/12/28/sp-dwayne-derosario.html

First thought that comes to mind is... yeah, and?

This is football. DDR is a piece of meat. TFC or Houston or whoever would have and will sell his ass off to the highest bidder should the opportunity come along, at current market value. With that in mind he's suppose to assume his 2011 market value is equal to his 2007 market value contract or no? Really? TFC will sell him off to Celtic pretending his 15 goals in 2010 never happen because he signed some contract in 2007? Right...

Shrug. It's a ****ty business but it is what it is. Soccer is not different than any other sport in that regard it's just that we in NA tend to get into the illusion that when it comes to the sports entertainment industries a deal is a deal. When it serves the club owners purposes anyway.

Regardless, good luck replacing 50% of your teams goals next season at $400K. Or a million five for that matter. I mean that sincerely. At DDR's age you'd have to sooner or later anyway, I just think the suits at TFC are betting Trader Mo's firing will buy them a bit of a second chance with the local ticket buyers and they think they can afford to let a disgruntled star player, their only star player, go without suffering too much. I think they're wrong.

Yeah, and...it's pretty apparent DeRo doesn't want to be here anymore so sell him and get what you can from him now while he still has value. If he stays and plays out his contract he's going to be *****ing and moaning about it incessantly and turn into a serious distraction. If you give him a DP contract you probably overpay him and end up with a declining prima donna on your team in his later years. Sell him.

edit: Your numbers are wrong, the contract he signed in 2007 was already re-negotiated in 2009. His current contract is the one he signed 2 years ago so no, he's not supposed to base his value on his 2007 contract he's supposed to live up to his contractual obligations from 2009 - the same contract TFC did NOT have to re-negotiate but did so anyways in good faith. If he has such a problem playing out a contract then sign for less than 4 years or don't sign the ****ing thing in the first place and leave on a free transfer when your contract expires!

Archived