Scottish media report on DeRosario having a trial with Celtic

People in Scotland don't know the cheque story. It's crap if you know the story, but for the Scot who knows nothing about MLS, it is interesting.

It isn't crap at all. It happened. They may be overblowing it to some degree but amongst my fellow TFC supporters, many were extremely turned off by the cheque writing incident.

It doesn't mean we don't still have affection for him and don't still have respect for his ability to put the ball into the net but it was troubling for many myself included.

He did it. He shouldn't have. He apologized. That doesn't mean it didn't happen and it is their to be scrutinized by any potential club that might have an interest in Dero.

It was a stupid thing to do. Hopefully he'll never do anything like it again.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It has always annoyed me that punks like bunbury get auditions in the EPL and a guy who has scored almost 70 goals in MLS has never gotten a sniff.

DeRo received a 6 month contract offer from Blackburn about 5 years ago, but turned it down because he wanted more stability.

DeRo received a 6 month contract offer from Blackburn about 5 years ago, but turned it down because he wanted more stability.

It's a shame he didn't have a go at that time when he was really in his prime. It's also unfortunate that when Keegan wanted to bring him to Manchester City all those years ago, the board blocked him. Keegan left the club soon after. This is old news to those of us who were discussing this five years ago on these pages.

Super glad for for him. He is sublimely talented and Celtic knows a thing or two about footbah. Let the h8rs h8te. Congrats Dwayne and best of luck.

It's a bit early for that. I wish him well too but I also dread the next MLS season if DeRo and his 15 league goals are not part of the TFC roster. It's definitely a double edged sword.

yeah i remember that....that was disappointing at the time.

im not sure i buy the argument that dero is good enough to score 70 goals in MLS but would be useless anywhere else....i still see a lot of dribbling in europe.

Maybe DeRo's agent has been doing a lot of lobbying in order ratchet up the contract re-negotiating in TO......

After that Earl Cochrane quote it certainly looks like it. Given it's a Scottish club involved there is also the question of whether Mo Johnston was somehow involved in recommending him although that might be more credible if it were Rangers that were involved. Have to assume Lennon wasn't aware of DeRosario's contract situation because it's usually seen as being out of order to make directly attributed quotes like that if you have not received permission from the player's existing club.

Latest from Scottish Television (STV):

http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottish-premier/celtic/217350-toronto-reject-talk-of-celtic-trial-for-de-rosario/

echoes the forget about it because it's not happening line from TFC. Have to say that it's good to see how the Scottish media has approached this story. MLS now has the same level of respect that the NASL had in the early 80s in Scotland, which was not necessarily the case a few years ago. Not viewed as a mickey mouse league but as a step sideways in quality terms, basically.

That really puts the proverbial cat in amongst the pigeons. Assuming this isn't a very impressive photoshop job what does this say about his current contract status with MLS/TFC? Does he have some sort of escape clause? Beyond that he really needs to lose the pony tail if he wants to fit in there.

Edit: Latest tweet from Ives Galarcep.

http://twitter.com/SoccerByIves

RT @JenChang88: 1 last DeRosario clarification- Would B a permanent move not loan - Celtic willing 2 pay TFC a transfer fee if he impresses 9 minutes ago via TweetDeck

Think that points to an escape clause.

What makes things really awkward is the Earl Cochrane quote. It would be much easier to smooth this over without that. A lot depends on whether contractually he has the right to do what he's doing right now. If he hasn't TFC/MLS should probably just void his contract and move on, in my opinion, and complain to FIFA about Celtic's actions. If he does then there's not a lot that can be done and if TFC picked up a contract option against his wishes they knew they were dealing with an unsettled player who wanted to move on well before this happened so arguably nothing much has changed.

Toronto issued the following statement:

"We were unaware of Dwayne's plan to train with Celtic and we will contact them to understand the situation. Obviously, if there is interest in a short term loan arrangement by either him or Celtic, they will need to approach us and the League formally and we will consider based on what is in TFC's best interest."

"We were unaware of Dwayne's plan to train with Celtic and we will contact them to understand the situation. Obviously, if there is interest in a short term loan arrangement by either him or Celtic, they will need to approach us and the League formally and we will consider based on what is in TFC's best interest."

Sounds like it is above board contractually for him to train with Celtic. Interesting they talk about a short loan rather than a transfer. Suggests there is no set fee written into some sort of escape clause in his contract.

From Sportinglife Website:

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/scottishpremier/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/10/12/28/SOCCER_Celtic_Lennon.html&TEAMHD=scotspremiership

DE ROSARIO ON TRIAL AT CELTIC

Manager Neil Lennon has revealed Canada international Dwayne De Rosario has joined Freddie Ljungberg on trial at Celtic.

The 32-year-old Toronto FC player checked in at Celtic's Lennoxtown training complex this morning to try and impress the Hoops boss, who is also looking at former Arsenal star Ljungberg.

Ahead of Wednesday's Clydesdale Bank Premier League clash against Motherwell at Celtic Park, Lennon said: "He is in today. He's a similar player to Shaun Maloney, he likes to play off the left and come inside.

"He is a skilful, sharp and intelligent player.

"Again it's an opportunity for us to have a look and see what he can offer us, and he's here for a week."

On Ljungberg, Lennon said: "He didn't train with the first team yesterday because they had a game the day before, but from what we saw, he looked very impressive and in good condition.

"We will have a look at him training with the first team today."

It has always annoyed me that punks like bunbury get auditions in the EPL and a guy who has scored almost 70 goals in MLS has never gotten a sniff.

Excuse the hockey reference, but DDR's stats in MLS could be compared to those of a player with a glorious AHL career.

It often doesn't transfer to the "big leagues" and it's usually a case of a player learning how to play a successful style that is effective in one league. DDR is great at making big physical college-trained defenders look like college players, and has long cracked the code, so to speak, at MLS level. He would have to employ a different set of skills to play vs better players in better leagues, and many have doubted whether he had enough will (or skill, even) to do that. I would rate his adaptability as quite poor, as evidenced by his uneven and predominantly sub-par MNT play, even within teams where the attack was built specifically around him.

Whereas with Bunbury they are seeing potential - if they see enough upswing a club won't care if he only scored five goals. Teal played out of position all season, while DDR has been allowed to roam with limited defensive responsibilities for most of his career.

Well, he's getting a chance to strut his stuff, so that's good. However, it's still a trial and nothing might come of it (except, of course, the increased tension between player and TFC FO). And from Lennon's perspective, maybe the presence of DeRo and Ljungberg might have been attempt to light a fire under the *sses of his incumbents (I see they won yesterday vs St. Johnstone).

WTF? Who is advising him? Unless his contract allow him to trial with another team like that, this is getting ridiculous.

My guess on the situation is that DeRo is still wants a pay raise and this is his way to communicate things. Something similar to the pay cheque celebration but it's now on another level?

I usually cheat on my GF in order to communicate to her that I want more sex....

I'm wondering sometimes if DeRo is receiving advices from the Lebron James entourage

Archived