Scottish media report on DeRosario having a trial with Celtic

I've never heard of him before, but a John Molinaro piece quotes Earl Cochrane admitting that he knew: ""I was contacted a little more than a month ago by Dwayne (De Rosario) and his representative - asking if we would entertain a loan or training stint. We said we would " subject to paperwork being done. Which suggests to me that DeRo's brother is correct about TFC knowing about this.

In this article DeRo's agent indicates that he isn't over there on trial: http://www.thesun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3321850/Dwayne-storm.html

which maybe is where the "dispute" is over, as Cochrane's comments in the TFC press release uses that term. Edit: Check that, the quote from the TFC press release is "We were unaware of Dwayne's plan to train with Celtic and we will contact them to understand the situation", which is wholly inconsistent with the Cochrane quote from the Molinaro piece: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2010/12/28/sp-dwayne-derosario.html

You have two opposing camps here, Cochrane and the company men vs DeRo's entourage. With that, the truth lies somewhere in between.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've never heard of him before, but a John Molinaro piece quotes Earl Cochrane admitting that he knew: ""I was contacted a little more than a month ago by Dwayne (De Rosario) and his representative - asking if we would entertain a loan or training stint. We said we would " subject to paperwork being done. Which suggests to me that DeRo's brother is correct about TFC knowing about this.

In this article DeRo's agent indicates that he isn't over there on trial: http://www.thesun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3321850/Dwayne-storm.html

which maybe is where the "dispute" is over, as Cochrane's comments in the TFC press release uses that term. Edit: Check that, the quote from the TFC press release is "We were unaware of Dwayne's plan to train with Celtic and we will contact them to understand the situation", which is wholly inconsistent with the Cochrane quote from the Molinaro piece: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2010/12/28/sp-dwayne-derosario.html

Yes but it also says he's looking for a loan until the MLS season starts in March...

Rooney hangs MUFC out to dry. MUFC hangs Rooney out to dry.

Professional soccer is all business.

No one has any idea what's going on.

_49619952_rooney_fergie.jpg

Wayne Rooney has made a shock U-turn and agreed a new five-year contract at Manchester United just two days after announcing his intention to leave. On Wednesday, the 24-year-old striker said concerns over the strength of the club's squad were behind his original decision not to sign a new deal. United boss Sir Alex Ferguson said: "I'm delighted Wayne's agreed to stay." Rooney stated: "I said on Wednesday the manager's a genius and it's his belief and support that convinced me to stay."

I think what Cochrane meant with this quote "We were unaware of Dwayne's plan to train with Celtic and we will contact them to understand the situation" is that DeRo didn't submitted the paperworks so he was unaware of that.

I think you need to look at the context and the timing those quotes were made. Here's a post I read on the RPB forum that made sense about the Cochranes quotes:

Yesterday- He's not on trial (he's not on trial b/c I never gave him permission)

This Morning - We were not informed of him going over. (Holy he went to Scotland. I never gave him permission and he never sent us official paperwork. )

Now - We were asked but didn't finalize (Now I have to let everyone know all teh details to make sure people know we did not give him permission)

I don't think Cochrane had to go into details when the rumour first appeared. Asthe GM, he didn't gave him permission so as far as he knows DeRo isn't with Celtic. It just after DeRo made him look like a complete idiot that Cochrane had to give more details to explain the situation.

Haha! DeRo growing up on the mean streets of Toronto. South central LA is a paradise compared to Scarborough according to him. Apparently his self valuation of his meagre soccer abilities is not the only area in which DeRo suffers from delusional narcisism.

^Indeed. Funny stuff.

I watched the Celtic match this afternoon, and during the broadcast, it was stated that DeRo and Ljungberg might be signed by Sunday for the big match against Rangers.

BBC is now reporting that DeRo and Celtic must get paperwork in order before DeRo can again train with the club.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/9322943.stm

Celtic told to secure paperwork for De Rosario trial

- Celtic must obtain official agreement with Toronto and Major League Soccer for midfielder Dwayne De Rosario to continue his trial period in Scotland.

The Canadian international's club and MLS say Celtic did not have permission for De Rosario to train with them and were surprised to learn he had done so.

BBC is now reporting that DeRo and Celtic must get paperwork in order before DeRo can again train with the club.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/9322943.stm

Celtic told to secure paperwork for De Rosario trial

- Celtic must obtain official agreement with Toronto and Major League Soccer for midfielder Dwayne De Rosario to continue his trial period in Scotland.

The Canadian international's club and MLS say Celtic did not have permission for De Rosario to train with them and were surprised to learn he had done so.

It's pretty odd Celtic would by pass such a basic rule, like how did they not know if DeRo was under contract or not. Why would any team ever approach a player without contacting his what I guess they believed was his previous team in TFC, to you know get a reference sorta. As if DeRo gave them the impresstion he was clubless then you still think Celctic management would still be in contact with TFC in some way.

Pretty bad on Celtic to not check there facts.

I think what Cochrane meant with this quote "We were unaware of Dwayne's plan to train with Celtic and we will contact them to understand the situation" is that DeRo didn't submitted the paperworks so he was unaware of that.

That isn't good enough for Cochrane though - he made it sound like (as DeRosario's brother points out) that Dwayne just flew over there on a whim without discussing it with anyone at the club, never mind receiving a verbal go-ahead to do so subject to paperwork.

I think you need to look at the context and the timing those quotes were made.

The context is that most people who read the club's statement will think the worst of De Rosario (as I initially did until I looked for other articles that had more facts) - which not good because it is an erroneous statement (whether it was intended to mean something else or not) that is doing damage to someone's reputation. If I'm MLSE I'd be providing some media training & advice to Cochrane - its these types of statements that can lead to defamation lawsuits.

As for who is to blame with De Ro, his agent or TFC and to what extent, I'm reserving full judgment until I get all the facts, but nobody is coming out of this smelling like roses thus far.

Good article in The Star on the woefulness of sport in Toronto:

http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/mls/torontofc/dwaynederosario/article/913391--feschuk-de-rosario-s-message-comes-with-a-high-price

"It’s nearly the eve of the kickoff to Richard Peddie’s year-long retirement tour, and let’s survey the kingdom of the most powerful CEO in Canadian sports.

The Maple Leafs were in 27th place heading into Wednesday’s games; the Raptors were playing .355 ball. To put it in historical perspective: A pretty decent year!

Survey Peddie’s kingdom on the eve of his year-long retirement tour and here’s what you see: The swanky new sports bar is booming. The ACC-side condos and retail shops are sold out. The ACC seats are mostly full, even if the Raptors aren’t drawing what they did when they were a .500 powerhouse. And TFC’s currently perturbed fans, if you had to wager, might just put up with the nonsense for at least another season."

Leafs 27/30

Raps 22/30

TFC 11/16

All of them are allergic to the playoffs. The last few years could be the worst tri-team run by a city ever.

But hey, it's okay - because the problem is De Rosario! Can't wait 'til he leaves and the Leafs win the Cup!

Good article in The Star on the woefulness of sport in Toronto:

http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/mls/torontofc/dwaynederosario/article/913391--feschuk-de-rosario-s-message-comes-with-a-high-price

"It’s nearly the eve of the kickoff to Richard Peddie’s year-long retirement tour, and let’s survey the kingdom of the most powerful CEO in Canadian sports.

The Maple Leafs were in 27th place heading into Wednesday’s games; the Raptors were playing .355 ball. To put it in historical perspective: A pretty decent year!

Survey Peddie’s kingdom on the eve of his year-long retirement tour and here’s what you see: The swanky new sports bar is booming. The ACC-side condos and retail shops are sold out. The ACC seats are mostly full, even if the Raptors aren’t drawing what they did when they were a .500 powerhouse. And TFC’s currently perturbed fans, if you had to wager, might just put up with the nonsense for at least another season."

Leafs 27/30

Raps 22/30

TFC 11/16

All of them are allergic to the playoffs. The last few years could be the worst tri-team run by a city ever.

But hey, it's okay - because the problem is De Rosario! Can't wait 'til he leaves and the Leafs win the Cup!

Doubt it's the worst record for a 3 team city, lets give Cleveland some credit here they have been housing the Cavs, Browns, and Indians for years.

2003 they were

Browns 5/11

Cavs 17/65

Indians 68/94

Honestly, with the cheque signing incident and the constant complaining about his contractual problems, you don't think DeRo could be a part of the problem at TFC?

I was a big fan of Allen Iverson and was going to defend him no matter what but the last 4-5 years of his career showed me what a poor leader he was and how his bad attitude wasn't making him a good teammate. I see DeRo, to a lesser extent, in the same categorie: Plenty of points and flashy stuff with an original style but maybe not the kind of player you need to build a team around. If TFC can find a player they feel could replace him, they should get rid of DeRo and go for it, because so far the experiement hasn't work. deRo has nice stats in a loosing cause, just like Iverson with the 76ers and the Nuggets.

BTW, nice piece Rudi!

Good call on Cleveland... who could forget Major League. Perhaps this decade. Cavs have made the playoffs every one of the past five years including the NBA final in '07 (the same year the Indians were in the league finals).

One of my greatest moments of professional sport culture was when A-I said about a hundred times in the famed interview "we're talking about a practice." That guy got my respect for life.

"How the hell can I make my teammates better by practicing?" That whole thing is art.

Sport is what happens on the field, business is what happens off. Kudos to people who understand that.

Honestly, with the cheque signing incident and the constant complaining about his contractual problems, you don't think DeRo could be a part of the problem at TFC?

I was a big fan of Allen Iverson and was going to defend him no matter what but the last 4-5 years of his career showed me what a poor leader he was and how his bad attitude wasn't making him a good teammate. I see DeRo, to a lesser extent, in the same categorie: Plenty of points and flashy stuff with an original style but maybe not the kind of player you need to build a team around. If TFC can find a player they feel could replace him, they should get rid of DeRo and go for it, because so far the experiement hasn't work. deRo has nice stats in a loosing cause, just like Iverson with the 76ers and the Nuggets.

BTW, nice piece Rudi!

I don't think you can let DeRo back into that dressing room with out losing the respect of players who go about there buisness and contract situations proffessionally. This is a very NBA move circus type stuff that if TFC bends for DeRo it will set a precident and will do nothing but hurt the integrity of the club.

No successful team in the world allows a player to become bigger than the team. Look at the Detroit Red Wings, FC Barcelona, New England Patriots, LA Lakers, and NY Yankees.

and to Vic your right Clevand has been having a good last 5 years for themselves, even the Browns are making noise this year.

I don't think you can let DeRo back into that dressing room with out losing the respect of players who go about there buisness and contract situations proffessionally. This is a very NBA move circus type stuff that if TFC bends for DeRo it will set a precident and will do nothing but hurt the integrity of the club.

No successful team in the world allows a player to become bigger than the team. Look at the Detroit Red Wings, FC Barcelona, New England Patriots, LA Lakers, and NY Yankees.

and to Vic your right Clevand has been having a good last 5 years for themselves, even the Browns are making noise this year.

I agree that if you want to be successfull you dont let a player become bigger than the team, but LA Lakers are not one of those teams.

As for who is to blame with De Ro, his agent or TFC and to what extent, I'm reserving full judgment until I get all the facts, but nobody is coming out of this smelling like roses thus far.

The likelihood of getting all the facts is slim, but at I agree that we have some murky statements from both sides.

It's pretty odd Celtic would by pass such a basic rule, like how did they not know if DeRo was under contract or not. Why would any team ever approach a player without contacting his what I guess they believed was his previous team in TFC, to you know get a reference sorta. As if DeRo gave them the impresstion he was clubless then you still think Celctic management would still be in contact with TFC in some way.

Pretty bad on Celtic to not check there facts.

To me this is one of the more bizarre parts of this whole fiasco. Not exactly an organization famous for trusting players or players agents and so on. Hard to believe DDR was allowed to kit up and train with the club unless the appropriate paperwork was going through the appropriate channels. Not saying everything was signed, sealed and delivered, just saying the club was doing their part and feeling confident there wouldn't be any major snags.

Wild conspiracy theories aside of course.

Speaking of Celtic's traditional practices and DDR's market value (which is next to nothing right now given he's 32 years old and shown a clear desire to quit TFC), best advise I can give to the TFC fans & supporters right now is to cut your losses and get whatever Celtic will give you for him. Don't expect much and don't haggle. That won't work. That club will be happy to take a player off your hands who you can otherwise pay to not want to play for you, or not. Some "face saving" money will change hands but that's about it.

Very frugal club. Happy to take a punt on righting a "trouble-some player" but rightfully unwilling to pay another club for the privilege of taking a problem player off their hands.

Going to be fun to see how all this plays out. This week, next week and into TFC's 2011 season.

The likelihood of getting all the facts is slim, but at I agree that we have some murky statements from both sides.

The likelihood that the fault or the blame can all be put on one side is also pretty slim I'd say - at best this is just a miscommunication between the three parties, while at worst there may be some general antagonism that is being played out with shiftyness from both sides.

This Ben Rycroft article suggests that MLSE may not have been pleased with how this affair has been handled & that it is a factor in looking at someone else other than Earl Cochrane as a full-time GM (which frankly, would have been disappointing if they were going with that - what was Klinsmann hired for?):

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/content.php?856-Earl-Cochrane-to-be-named-TFC-GM

If this is accurate it means MLS intervened:

http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottish-premier/celtic/217631-celtic-hopeful-on-ljungberg-deal/

Canadian Dwayne De Rosario is also on trial at the club but the player’s club Toronto FC, and Major League Soccer said the player did not have permission to train with another team. The MLS accepted that Celtic were unaware of the problem and said on Wednesday that they would help sort out the necessary paperwork, a wrinkle [Celtic boss Neil] Lennon believes has now been ironed out.

"I think it was an administrative problem but that has been resolved so he can carry on," he said.

Celtic have been hit with 2 more injuries and a suspension from last nights game. Ljundberg might play on Saturday and Dero....who knows, but they seem to be like his "hunger":

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/editor-s-picks/ready-freddie-1.1077186

"De Rosario has already shown his hunger to move from the MLS to the SPL by flying in for a trial before all the necessary agreements had been obtained from his club, Toronto FC."

Archived