Scottish media report on DeRosario having a trial with Celtic

I assume this fits here more than the MLS subforum. Apologies if it doesn't. The Evening Times, a reasonably credible Glasgow newspaper, is reporting that Dwayne DeRosario could be having a trial with Celtic soon:

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/editor-s-picks/dwayne-s-world-1.1076656

Hot on the heels of Freddie Ljungberg arriving for talks with Celtic, another international midfielder is set to jet in from across the Atlantic.

Dwayne De Rosario is currently the skipper of Toronto FC in the MLS, and the 32-year-old is hoping a deal can be struck to allow him to make the switch to Parkhead.

Neil Lennon today confirmed the man who has won 55 caps for Canada, scoring 15 goals in the process, is in line to spend time at Lennoxtown to let them see if he might be worth signing.

The Celtic boss still has a central defender and a striker as his priorities when the window opens this weekend....

So he clearly isn't central to TFC's plans for 2011. If he were five years younger he'd have a great shot where this is concerned, in my opinion. Worth bearing in mind how well Mo Edu has done with Rangers as a frame of reference on that. At 32 it might be tougher to persuade a club like Celtic to part with the sort of money he will no doubt be looking for.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a player for the national team he has very little to offer at the moment, and more years playing for TFC isn't going to change that so as national team supporters there really is no downside to this move. If he fails, it doesn't matter he is already done with Canada, and if he loses some of those bad habits and turns into the more finished product then who cares if he's 32, he'll give us a little more creativity going forward. It's a win-win for us!

Go for it!! He has pretty much achieved all he can in MLS. He is going to play in a mediocre league but he will have better coaching, more money and team stability ONLY because it is Celtic. Not worth moving to Scotland for any other reason than Celtic or Rangers in DeRo's case. He has nothing to lose and all to gain.

I wonder if it is an outright transfer or a loan to the end of the SPL season? TFC had better have a plan if they let their most productive scorer go on a transfer. Say what you want he has delivered on the pitch repeatedly despite the revolving door around him. I would really think a loan to the end of the SPL season would be best. He could come back to TFC with enough of the season left to make a difference and be in game shape.

At 32 I think he still has one good WCQ run left in him, injuries willing of course.

I wonder if it is an outright transfer or a loan to the end of the SPL season? TFC had better have a plan if they let their most productive scorer go on a transfer. Say what you want he has delivered on the pitch repeatedly despite the revolving door around him. I would really think a loan to the end of the SPL season would be best. He could come back to TFC with enough of the season left to make a difference and be in game shape.

At 32 I think he still has one good WCQ run left in him, injuries willing of course.

^ It's ok, they don't need a plan. Most of the TFC supporters will cheer to see him go, because they're retarded and can't handle players with some flair and personality.

Typical Canadian sports fans, exemplified by the extreme nature of Toronto sports fans, who glorify the worst players and villify their productive ones.

5 years too late....good luck dero...can you take JDG with you?

why does he not have anything to offer the national team exactly?

everyone here seems to think that MLS calibre players are good enough to represent canada, so how is a guy who scored 15 of his team's 33 goals not good enough?

do we have any other player at any level leading his team in scoring?......do we have any other player at any level named a league all star?

^DeRo is solid player, but he is very selfish with the ball. I find that when DeRo plays for Canada, too much of the play revolves around him, making it predictable for opposing teams to defend against us. Our attack is more balanced when DeRo is out of the starting XI, as we seem to explore more options when trying to penetrate the final third of the pitch.

To be fair, I still think DeRo has a role for Canada, but at this stage in his career he should be a sub. DeRo can bring a lot of intensity to a game, but he doesn't have the pace to do it all by himself.

^DeRo is solid player, but he is very selfish with the ball. I find that when DeRo plays for Canada, too much of the play revolves around him, making it predictable for opposing teams to defend against us. Our attack is more balanced when DeRo is out of the starting XI, as we seem to explore more options when trying to penetrate the final third of the pitch.

To be fair, I still think DeRo has a role for Canada, but at this stage in his career he should be a sub. DeRo can bring a lot of intensity to a game, but he doesn't have the pace to do it all by himself.

Great post!

If Toronto gets rid of DeRo they are MORONS, they will finish even worse than last season. That man carried his team even if I don't think he is a key MNT player anymore.

For Canada DeRo definitely still has a role to fill he loves Canada, serves Canada, is a great ambassador, a great player and great guy. If he wants to represent Canada that door is definitely open but he needs to understand he won't play the role he does for his club for Canada unless he does something to change that.

If De Rosario is serious about representing Canada then he needs to feature and contribute just like any other player in 2011. Players like Jackson and Simpson cemented their spots in 2010 and that will obviously continue into 2011 until someone put their mark on one of those spots. DeRo and De Guzman both need to make sure they are in Greece or at another friendly before the Gold Cup to show us something.

Great post!

If Toronto gets rid of DeRo they are MORONS, they will finish even worse than last season. That man carried his team even if I don't think he is a key MNT player anymore.

Unless they, you know, find someone to replace him.

No one is irreplaceable in club football. No one.

i agree....he might not be a starter but he is still pretty high in our wading pool of a depth chart.

Unless they, you know, find someone to replace him.

No one is irreplaceable in club football. No one.

If they find a better passer, general midfielder who can score 5-10 goals I think that type of player could replace DeRo for TFC. Barrett has proven that he can score goals and if he can stay healthy should provide TFC with more goals in 2011.

Toronto FC interim GM Earl Cochrane is denying a Scottish report that has linked Dwayne De Rosario to Celtic.

“Dwayne is not going on trial with Celtic or any other club,” Cochrane told MLSsoccer.com. “We have not received word from anyone and expect him to be with TFC when training camp opens next month.”

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/toronto-fc-quash-reports-dero-celtic-trial

- I hope they keep him well paid and if they are going to bring in someone for half a season at double his salary they had better perform!

I wish things go great for him but I'm kind of skeptical. “He’s a player who has been put to me. I’ve not had time to see much of him. But hopefully today I will get the chance to view some footage of him to see what I think.” Maybe DeRo's agent has been doing a lot of lobbying in order ratchet up the contract re-negotiating in TO. But if it comes up trumps for DeRo with a signing, I'll be pulling for him to do well in SPL.

The only part of this rumor that makes any sense is the idea that DDR could skip off to the UK for an end of season loan. He's a relatively young 32 when it's all said and done and clubs have shown a willingness to take players on spec, even ones who'd demand a half decent wage like de Rosario just because there's a firm out no matter what happens. The club isn't married long term to an expensive player if they don't pan out on the quick. And for DDR he could easily make more playing for Celtic for 5 months that what he has earned in his best year in MLS. At his age the paydays need to come now.

That being said, TFC would be absolutely nuts to agree to any loan. Proven goal scorers are not exactly falling off the trees in MLS nor are they lined up out of sight trying to get into the league.

I was very pissed off with DeRo's cheque signing antics for TFC and I have to say his last few games for the National team haven't been great! I think it's way too early to write him off as not being worthy of a spot on the MNT! There isn't a player in the pool who hasn't gone through a bad spell with the Nats! Right now DeRo would not be in my starting 11 but you know how these things work with injuries and availability! Maybe a move to Celtic would be good for him, maybe it's a bargaining ploy, who knows? I just wouldn't write him off from the MNT just yet, as was mentioned in the other thread, he may be the guy we need playing alone up front!

Ya good luck with that in MLS

You think DeRo is going to play for TFC forever? And at the same level?

They are going to need to replace his production sooner than later. By no means am I advocating them letting him go, but it's foolish to think that they aren't already considering the possibility of life without his huge numbers.

And it's not like DeRo is the only prolific scorer in the history of the league. There will be other high scorers at TFC in the future.

It has always annoyed me that punks like bunbury get auditions in the EPL and a guy who has scored almost 70 goals in MLS has never gotten a sniff.

that is because he is not as good as the mls makes him seem. like someone else said on this topic, he is selfish and the CMNT does not flow as well when he is on the pitch. this is exactly why clubs around the world don't salivate when they see him play, like they do in the mls. in this day in age, the ball and brain has to move fast, not dribbling. dribbling around players is not as effective anymore, because too many teams are tactically very good. look at Barca, they move the ball so fast that they can't be caught, and will never get caught holding onto the ball that extra second. The only ones that still do this is Messi and Ronaldo, yet Messi gets around guys with quick give and gos and not all out tricks, like DERO!!!! the mls is still way behind tactically and is very much an atheletes game. that is why so many euros who come over, have a hard time playing. the players don't play the ball quick enough!

Archived