Ukraine - Canada Post-Match Thread [R]

loyola

For obvious reasons I'm concerned at how well they did without DeRo. And JDG.

I think it may be tough for DeRo to get a call up in the future, injuries pending. His style doesn't suit what Canada needs to do. JDG may still have a future in a holding midfielders role.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lots to be happy about in this one. I'm really liking the Simpson-Target Man-Jackson formation up front. Next game I'd like to see Gerba in the middle with those two. De Jong may be pushing Klukowski for the starting LB spot, which is great because depth is never a bad thing. Straith and Jakovic were solid. Stalteri, well, why not finish off your career in MLS? Name me another country whose captain doesn't even play club football? JBB looked decent for a fourth division player, and Occean held his own pretty well. Bernier made some nice passes too. Hutchinson was MOTM for sure. I think the move to PSV is really taking his game to the next level. Would have been nice to see Uccello, but if he keeps working hard I'm sure he'll get more chances to play. Haber wasn't in for long but did have one pretty good run with the ball. I'm sure he'll be a solid option in the future. Didn't see much of Issey or Ledgerwood so I won't comment on their performances.

I'm starting to get excited for GC 2011!

No cap ties in friendlies. Only way to tie a player is to have him switch at the senior level from one federation to another OR to have him capped in a competitive match.

Oh man, I get too excited when Ukraine plays, especially more so against Canada. With all the other qualifying matches going on ... ;) Thanks ...

As someone mentioned in the in-game thread, I think JDG still has a role to play in the starting 11. However, with what we've seen from Jackson and Simpson, I'm inclined to leave DeRo on the bench until the 75th minute.

I agree with this. It's nice to have guys like Dunfield and JBB put in some solid performances in the holding role for depth purposes, but ideally an in-form JDG is starting there. Especially with Hutchinson really impressing as the most forward-thinking midfielder.

DeRo might still have goals in him at the international level, but there's no way he holds the shape as well as Simpson or Jackson out there.

I think this was the best game I have seen Canada play. Its unfortunate, that littlebird did not get in to this match. I know he is pleased with the outcome of a 2-2 result, a loss would have disappointed him more then anything else. I know that in the back of his mine it was a win for us all regardless of the 2-0 lead at half. I thought my score was possible of 5-0 with this team maybe could have materialize ...with these euro players

congrats bigbird

I think this game will be a great opportunity to improve our coaching. It's time to look at what changed first half to second for this game and for Peru, look at the tools available, and start devising strategies that counter that without going into bunkerball. In the late stages of the second we seemed to be coming forward a bit, but that middle portion saw entirely too much time spent in our half.

I'm going to have to rely on Max's reports until someone torrents the game vid...

I think this was the best game I have seen Canada play. Its unfortunate, that littlebird did not get in to this match. I know he is pleased with the outcome of a 2-2 result, the way he is a lost would have disappointed him more then anything else. I know that in the back of his mine it was a win for us all.

congrats bigbird

Too bad he didn't get in, but he'll get called again and a chance to prove himself.

Well done by our MNT.

for 50+ minutes, they were the better side. Hutch was outstanding (his confidence seems to have grown by leaps and bounds), good movement without the ball at times.

Didn't handle the pressure that was inevitably going to come from UKR but nothing to be ashamed of.

I like these experimental lineups. What i like most of all is that today proved to me that Atiba is the player to build around and we need to surround him with players that compliment his strengths.

JDG still has a role with Canada but I like that there is competition for spots.

Now we just need to see more of our players getting more regular PT with their club sides.

Some stray thoughts:

1. Hutch's game has really improved since he made the move to PSV. Easily the man of the match.

2. I only watched the 2nd half, but I'm not so sure about Jakovic as a CB. He seems to give the ball away too much from the back and gets beat on the dribble. The thing is that he'd make a darn good holding mid. He's good going forward, can make the incisive pass and is a good tackler. It's not like we're stocked at the position anyway.

3. I thought Haber did pretty well. I know a few guys like to rag on him, but he did will as a striker who can hold the ball. Aside from Jackson and Hutch, he was the best guy on the ball. Again I only watched the 2nd half

Well done by our MNT.

for 50+ minutes, they were the better side. Hutch was outstanding (his confidence seems to have grown by leaps and bounds), good movement without the ball at times.

Didn't handle the pressure that was inevitably going to come from UKR but nothing to be ashamed of.

I like these experimental lineups. What i like most of all is that today proved to me that Atiba is the player to build around and we need to surround him with players that compliment his strengths.

JDG still has a role with Canada but I like that there is competition for spots.

Couldn't agree more. It's amazing how MLS seemed to have deteriorated JDG and showcased DeRo, while Jakovic was as sharp as ever.

Now we have more options than Friend, or even ... Bunbury...

OK boys, this is only a friendly. Don't forget we beat Austria 0-2 and crapped out WCQ. We need more matches, but Atiba is THE MAN.

Some stray thoughts:

1. Hutch's game has really improved since he made the move to PSV. Easily the man of the match.

2. I only watched the 2nd half, but I'm not so sure about Jakovic as a CB. He seems to give the ball away too much from the back and gets beat on the dribble. The thing is that he'd make a darn good holding mid. He's good going forward, can make the incisive pass and is a good tackler. It's not like we're stocked at the position anyway.

3. I thought Haber did pretty well. I know a few guys like to rag on him, but he did will as a striker who can hold the ball. Aside from Jackson and Hutch, he was the best guy on the ball. Again I only watched the 2nd half

I only watched the first, but IMO Occean deserve to play again soon. He looked very comfortable as lone striker and seemed to be engaged in the play in a way that Friend hasn't be able to. Haber is great, all of us on the West Coast know that. :)

totally agree, he basically had an assist... must be either a CONCACRAP ref :P or the UEFA version of ie: from Moldova, Albania, Macedonia, Kazakistan

The best ref in the World Cup was Uzbek, for your information. Webb, English, was crap and admitted so after screwing up the final.

But nice try though. You actually think that refs in wealthier more "civilized" countries are better?

In any case, the ref was favouring Ukraine in the last 15-20 minutes, a bit much I'd say. Mostly in the midfield to be sure, did not call any bogus fouls near the box I don't think. But made it hard for us to get a foul in our favour.

But of course Canada players are traditionally totally lame and are unable to do any more than whine, throw up their arms, there is no intelligence there when it comes to juicing the best out of a tough reffing situation.

I only watched the first, but IMO Occean deserve to play again soon. He looked very comfortable as lone striker and seemed to be engaged in the play in a way that Friend hasn't be able to. Haber is great, all of us on the West Coast know that. :)

Agree, Occean should be given the starting role in Greece. He looked good today.

As for that Jackson goal, tough to say if it was meant as a shot...looks like a cross to me but when you try those good things happened.

Hutch was easily MOTM. Great overall performance.

At the back I really liked De Jong and Jakovic.

The best ref in the World Cup was Uzbek, for your information. Webb, English, was crap and admitted so after screwing up the final.

But nice try though. You actually think that refs in wealthier more "civilized" countries are better?

In any case, the ref was favouring Ukraine in the last 15-20 minutes, a bit much I'd say. Mostly in the midfield to be sure, did not call any bogus fouls near the box I don't think. But made it hard for us to get a foul in our favour.

But of course Canada players are traditionally totally lame and are unable to do any more than whine, throw up their arms, there is no intelligence there when it comes to juicing the best out of a tough reffing situation.

Forgive me for not being politically correct. How un-Canadian of me! Okay, so just because a mid western asian nation had a shining star doesn't make up for a majority. I believe most of these refs from poor Eastern Euro nations are corrupt and if you don't think so than you must be fooling yourself. Plus I never said anything about "richer" countries having the best quality refs, don't put words in my mouth with your assumption. That would be like saying Canada which is a G8 country dominate in every sport especially soccer.

Archived