Ukraine - Canada Post-Match Thread [R]

loyola

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For obvious reasons I'm concerned at how well they did without DeRo. And JDG.

let me first say that this is a great result. even though when ukraine stepped it up a little we suffered. but this point about DERO and JDG is absolutely right. especially Dero.... when he is not there the team always better and to their strenghts. Defend as a unit and play on the counter attack with guys like simpson and in this case Jackson... these guys play for the team and not hold on to the ball for hours and the try and dribble with stupid tricks... they are running at defenders with speed and getting crosses in or shots. DERO is only good in the mls and it stops there. if the national team want success, they have to realise their identity and reality and play like this all the time.... ukraine is much better than Honduras, Trinidad, Jamaica and better than Costa rica. so this should be an indication of how to approach these other teams.... the teams best play in the past couple of years is when DERO is not there..... gold cup 2009!!!

Dissapointed to not have kept the lead, but overall extremely satisfied at the result. A draw vs ukraine should give us a few points in the FIFA rankings.

The difference between a draw and a loss in this game is about +20 points for the October ranking but maybe as many as +30 for the May 2011 ranking (what might be used for WCQ seeding next year). It's not a huge amount, but it may come down to every point counting. Here's part of the September ranking, and who we're battling to stay in the top eight:

4   Costa Rica           561
5 Panama 487
6 Jamaica 425
7 Canada 360
8 Trinidad and Tobago 327
9 El Salvador 253
10 Cuba 218[/HTML]

Unfortunately, El Salvador's playing Panama and Jamaica's playing T&T this week, so some of those teams are almost guaranteed to gain some points.

Am I the only one who think Hart should'vedone a better job preparing the team for the second half. With a 2-0 lead we were trying difficult stuff at time to start the second half and we lost our defensive shape as a result. At some point we need to learn how to keep a result like that.

Don't get me wrong, it's an excellent result but a bit frsutrated by the way we gave up a 2-0 lead.

I'm not a computer guy, so what's the easiest way (if any?) to see this match in its entirety?

Watching the highlights, Hutchinson really had his mojo going this evening. So great to see! That second goal was an excellent counterattacking fast break. Pretty impressed that Simpson's passing options were not only Hutchinson but also De Jong's superb supporting run down the left

I hope I can see this match.

I wasn't sure what to expect from this game to be honest, but I quite like how we played. We didn't have a ton of possession but we were much better at retaining it when we did have it.

I agree with the others that there was faint whiff of favouritism on the Ref's part in the 2nd half of the 2nd half - nothing on any major calls, but everything 50/50 went Ukraine's way, and the 3 corners leading up to the Ukraine equalizer, I don't even think the Ukrainian team was claiming for a corner on the last two, and yet still got them. And I can understand not subbing in a defender (Edgar) when the back four are playing fairly well and you are "defending" for a result - but I would have liked Hart to at least thrown on Uccello for Jackson towards the end, just to let the kid get his first cap and get out there - even if only for a few minutes, could it really have done any harm?

Hutchinson and Simpson were MOTM, but the back four were quite good, dealing and cutting out a lot of centering passes and through balls. Borgeault did well although he started to fade so taking him off was the right move. Extremely well taken goals and competent play all around, lets hope we continue to build on this momentum of two positive results in a row and continue to develop some depth.

let me first say that this is a great result. even though when ukraine stepped it up a little we suffered. but this point about DERO and JDG is absolutely right. especially Dero.... when he is not there the team always better and to their strenghts. Defend as a unit and play on the counter attack with guys like simpson and in this case Jackson... these guys play for the team and not hold on to the ball for hours and the try and dribble with stupid tricks... they are running at defenders with speed and getting crosses in or shots. DERO is only good in the mls and it stops there. if the national team want success, they have to realise their identity and reality and play like this all the time.... ukraine is much better than Honduras, Trinidad, Jamaica and better than Costa rica. so this should be an indication of how to approach these other teams.... the teams best play in the past couple of years is when DERO is not there..... gold cup 2009!!!

i couldnt agree more. let dero stay home and figure out how he can get a few extra pennies from TFC.

For the record, snake and tarnado both correctly predicted the scoreline on this message board... snake takes the cake for predicting Jackson would score.

great result for canada

a 2-2 tie with a tough euro opponent

the nats are on abit of a swing lets just hope it continues

I've watched the last few TFC games and it just seems like Dero is always slowing up play. The guy has ability but, he hinders teams in alot of areas because it leads to guys standing around and watching him. Sure he gets goals, but the team does'nt necessarily benefit from that style as an overall. I still think he can serve a purpose with the MNT, but I think Jackson and Simpson have earned those roles and Dero should be put on the bench and maybe he will adjust his game.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but the last two games the Nats have played have been without JDG, and we've played really well in both of those. I'm starting to wonder if Jules is past his prime already. For DeRo it was never a question, but it's not comforting to think that JDG has seen his best days for the Nats go by.

I'm over the slight disappointment at only earning the draw. Way to go boys, you made us proud!

I think it is to early to knock Dero...I mean judge him when we have all of our best on the pitch...you can argue that his last match with Canada was not with the besy players around him...

I am a little pissed that at this time of night I am getting only the AP or whatever report of the game....TSN, CBC, Sportsnet and the Globe all have the same three line report of the game...I am getting more info on this thread....

Did you guys see how the 2nd goal broke down? Yep, it was a great pass, but also very poor defending. The final third ending up being a 5v3 for Canada.

But as I mentioned earlier up this thread, there was a great supporting run up the left by De Jong that also drew attention. Great to see Hutchinson put on the jets. But certainly the Ukrainians were caught out on that counter and we punished it. That was good to see.

I wasn't sure what to expect from this game to be honest, but I quite like how we played. We didn't have a ton of possession but we were much better at retaining it when we did have it.

I agree with the others that there was faint whiff of favouritism on the Ref's part in the 2nd half of the 2nd half - nothing on any major calls, but everything 50/50 went Ukraine's way, and the 3 corners leading up to the Ukraine equalizer, I don't even think the Ukrainian team was claiming for a corner on the last two, and yet still got them. And I can understand not subbing in a defender (Edgar) when the back four are playing fairly well and you are "defending" for a result - but I would have liked Hart to at least thrown on Uccello for Jackson towards the end, just to let the kid get his first cap and get out there - even if only for a few minutes, could it really have done any harm?

Hutchinson and Simpson were MOTM, but the back four were quite good, dealing and cutting out a lot of centering passes and through balls. Borgeault did well although he started to fade so taking him off was the right move. Extremely well taken goals and competent play all around, lets hope we continue to build on this momentum of two positive results in a row and continue to develop some depth.

I agree with not bringing in a defender, bringing in Uccello would have killed a couple of minutes and slowed the game down possibly enough to prevent the goal.

I agree with not bringing in a defender, bringing in Uccello would have killed a couple of minutes and slowed the game down possibly enough to prevent the goal.

I really don't get why he didn't do it. It's not like we have a second match to throw him into later in the week. IMO Hart was a little outmanaged today.

I am a little pissed that at this time of night I am getting only the AP or whatever report of the game....TSN, CBC, Sportsnet and the Globe all have the same three line report of the game...I am getting more info on this thread....

The Vancouver Sun has slightly more information in their article but still fairly brief.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Soccer+friendly+draw+Canada+against+Ukraine/3646603/story.html

Are you really surprised? I hope Max is able to get some player reactions post-match, as well as perhaps an interview with Hart to see how he felt about the draw. It'd also be great to see some decent footage of both our goals, especially Simeon's, as the stream on Inter chopped through the entire sequence for me, and the replay.

Are you really surprised? I hope Max is able to get some player reactions post-match, as well as perhaps an interview with Hart to see how he felt about the draw. It'd also be great to see some decent footage of both our goals, especially Simeon's, as the stream on Inter chopped through the entire sequence for me, and the replay.

Yessir, it's all in the media thread I have going.

The annoying thing is I contacted Canadian Press regarding taking care of their written coverage, and they didn't even respond to my e-mail....I was the only Canadian journalist in Kiev.

Any thoughts from the guys who were at the game? How was the crowd after the second Canadian goal, it seemed to get a little quite.

I tried to watch the game online but like everyone else it was choppy. I just watched the highlights and I must say the second goal by Hutch was amazing. Brilliant weight on the through ball by Simpson and a fantastic first touch by Atiba. That was world class.

I think it is to early to knock Dero...I mean judge him when we have all of our best on the pitch...you can argue that his last match with Canada was not with the besy players around him...

He's 32. I would not put DeRo in the starting 11 versus Greece. He can still help the team from the bench, but I don't know if he would want to be a sub. He has to understand that there are better players right now in Canada than him. And byt he way, What best players? Simpson played some minutes, Jackson and Hutch played, yes maybe Friend was on but it's not Friend's fault that DeRo was average.

Archived