Kevan Pipe fired !!!

Bxl Boy

If he is accurately quoted about wanting a Canadian coach that is a bit worrying as in my opinion it would only leave one candidate for the job in Dale Mitchell. I think this is too important a job to have only one serious candidate for it. I like Mitchell and think he is a bit more qualified for the job than Yallop was but he is still on the lower end of national team coach qualifications. Just like Yallop it would be a bit of a crap shoot to choose him, he might turn out great but would still be pretty risky. There is no guarantee any coach will be the right fit but there are certainly coaches out there who can show a much greater record of success than Mitchell.

While Linford indicates in the Star article that he would like to see a Canadian as Coach, I suspect foreign coaches would still be invited to apply. Remember, we would all like to see a Canadian Coach, if one suitable was available. I could also see us pulling an Australia and hiring a name Coach in about 2009 when if the right "CEO" is hired, we would have a bigger budget. Linford is probably thinking the same way.

At least, that's how I would interpret the Star article.

quote:Originally posted by Canuck Oranje

While Linford indicates in the Star article that he would like to see a Canadian as Coach, I suspect foreign coaches would still be invited to apply. Remember, we would all like to see a Canadian Coach, if one suitable was available. I could also see us pulling an Australia and hiring a name Coach in about 2009 when if the right "CEO" is hired, we would have a bigger budget. Linford is probably thinking the same way.

At least, that's how I would interpret the Star article.

Cool, then we could be eliminated by September 2008 again! :(

The CONCACAF Executive Committee Meeting on November 24 will be in LA. This will be the meeting (according to the KP interview) that should confirm Canada's place in the CONCACAF Champions League. KP was to make our presentation to confirm our place.

The CSA better not drop the ball on this one. Anyone know who the CSA will be sending in his place ?

I wish someone would clear up the naming rights dollar figure once and for all.

This retort is from a Sept 21 article in the Post:

----

A report last month pegged the naming rights deal at as much as $27-million over 10 years, but that estimate was disavowed yesterday.

"The numbers that were previously reported were incorrect as it relates to the Toronto deal," said Tom Anselmi, executive vice-president and CEO of MLSE. "It's a private matter."

All I know about Linford is that "He's the Man" who got rid of Pipe, and that halfway qualifies him for sainthood in my books. Right now he's saying all the right things, Canada qualifying for 2010, the Women finishing in the medals, a quarter-final spot in the WYC, Canadian leadership both on and off the field, and that the CSA has to focus beyond FIFA events and show their support on the domestic front. I also like the fact that he's willing to publicly go on record and a limb here by setting these goals, so far he's still headed in the direction of St. Colin. However talk is cheap, as all of us on this board can atest to, present company naturally excluded. The time for action is now. In order to obtain the beatitudes required for sainthood, Sir Colin must act quickly in filling several key positions now, and avoid what happened under Kevan Pipe, where Canada doesn't have a senior men's nation coach till just before World Cup qualifying starts, as was the case with Frank Yallop, when we went a period of more than half a year without someone in charge. Time has been ticking on this issue for a while now, so let's get on the ball and hire that Canadian your talking about. And if the choice doesn't pan out, replace him immediately. All the goals he's set for Canada on the playing field will or will not be realized within three years. If Sir Colin accomplishes all three, he should be rewarded with Canadian sainthood, or the order or something like that. If he gets two out three, he should be rewarded with an honourary lifetime CSA membership, if he only succeeds at one I'll buy him a round of golf at the course of his choice, and Kevan can be our caddy.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

The CONCACAF Executive Committee Meeting on November 24 will be in LA. This will be the meeting (according to the KP interview) that should confirm Canada's place in the CONCACAF Champions League. KP was to make our presentation to confirm our place.

The CSA better not drop the ball on this one. Anyone know who the CSA will be sending in his place ?

For 2008? That seems mighty forward-lloking of CONCACAF, quite out of character.

One slight error I noticed in the Cathal Kelly article - I believe that the move to MLS was the vision of Andy Sharpe, rather than Kevan Pipe (who's job was to make that vision become reality).

One slight error I noticed in the Cathal Kelly article - I believe that the move to MLS was the vision of Andy Sharpe, rather than Kevan Pipe (who's job was to make that vision become reality).

Champions League - according to BS posts, seems like in 2007 there will be a US-Mex competition with 4 teams from each country. Could be a test run and then a real competition in 2008. Hopefully it doesn't end up as a cheap money grab by AEG aimed at Mexicans in the US.

New York Times - over/under on the number of NYT readers being interested in the CSA is 3.

Stadium Name Deal - Colorado just signed a deal for around $2-million a year for 20 years. The Toronto deal should be worth more.

Pipe - I think somebody said he's a "politician". Pipe was anything but. He was in way over his head. I think he had good intentions, but he was out of his league. He got played like a fool by the Argos. He got screwed big time by MLSE on the stadium.

BMO Field - I think somebody asked what the CSA got. The CSA got nothing. The stadium is owned by the city of Toronto. It will be run by MLSE. Any profits will be split between MLSE and the city. I think the CSA gets a rental discount. Granted, the CSA was in no position to negotiate, but they really gave up a lot.

Do you realise the irony in your question?

I never said anything about any CCC. But if a CL is setup, obviously the CCC won't exist. Yeah, there will be a CCC in 2007. And there will be as much interest, as there are Canadian teams.

The MLS-Mex tournament is being put together by Soccer United Marketing which is owned by MLS and AEG. All the games will be played in the US. It's nothing more than a cash grab by MLS/SUM/AEG and a way to expose MLS to Mexicans in the US.

The Mexican TV channel is the one that announced it prematurely without anything actually being finalized.

My point is that hopefully they see the long-term benefits of a real Concacaf Champions League involving all Concacaf countries, as opposed to an opportunity to make money now.

The difference is that a simple MLS-Mex tournament they control the whole thing including all revenue. If it's a real Concacaf tournament, they will have to deal with the likes of Jack Warner and will have to hand over most of the income to all the smaller countries/leagues in the region so they can afford to send teams.

99% of the revenues would come from the US and Mexico. So there's no reason for them to expand to include all of Concacaf. Most fans would look at an MLS-Mex tournament as being equivilant to a CL anyways.

That competition has *NOTHING* to do with CONCACAF and is essentially a high-profile (the backers hope) friendly invitational, not much different than when Barça played Chivas or Madrid played DC.

There will be a CONCACAF Champions' Cup in 2007 independantly of some goofy made-for-TV exhibition tournament, including the the MLS Supporters' Shield and MLS Cup champions, the Mexican apertura and closura champions as well as teams from CA and the Caribbean who will have qualified through ongoing tournaments.

• 12 years later...
  • 4 years later...

Resurrecting this thread on Remembrance Day because of an article in today’s Ottawa Citizen. The article is based on research by Kevan Pipe. From the article:

“Kevan Pipe is the parishioner behind a memorial project at St. Matthews that researched and told the stories of 48 parish servicemen who died in WW1 and WW2.” 

Pipe spent five years researching and writing about the servicemen from his church who died in the world wars. Their profiles (in the link above) are really interesting and well researched.

There’s lots of differing opinions on Pipe’s time as a soccer exec, but on Nov. 11 I’d like to thank him for his work on this project and keeping the memories alive of the real heroes in my city.

On 11/11/2023 at 10:35 AM, SoccMan said:

Wow just took a look at some of the poster’s names going back in time I wonder how many of them with different names are still here posting , man time does fly  omg !

Some of us are still here from the old network 54 forum days of the late 90s - early 2000s.

Some have migrated elsewhere. Daniel (who was from Montreal and posted earlier in this thread) was on bigsoccer for a while after leaving this forum.

Edited by Soccerpro2

12 hours ago, Soccerpro2 said:

Some of us are still here from the old network 54 forum days of the late 90s - early 2000s.

Some have migrated elsewhere. Daniel (who was from Montreal and posted earlier in this thread) was on bigsoccer for a while after leaving this forum.

I am from the network 54 days.  I was pleasantly surprised at how many in the this thread are still here and the fact that even those that left, many have only done it recently.

I hope of those that left, there aren't many if any who have passed.  I sometimes wonder when long time posters disappear whether that is the case