Kevan Pipe fired !!!

Bxl Boy

Or I would add in the case of the Daniel's of the World many fans who are stupid enough they actually think believing Hirschfeld is better then the mediocre Statamapolous and has been Canada's best goalkeeper for the last 3 years despite the CSA ignoring him that whole time, Radzinski being an overhyped slowing has been, or that Nsawila is better then atleast 2 of the defenders who regularly play for Canada, is actually a wierd thing to think. Reflecting only on the stupidity of such individuals who make up alot of Canada's most dedicated soccer fan base, making the mess that much more enjoyable.

quote:Originally posted by wildboy26

....I used to think it was sad but now I find it amusing.

A lot of people who are involved in soccer at the grassroots level just tune the CSA and the national team out and focus on the stuff they are involved in and what happens in the old country because the CSA is often more about jobs and perks for the old boys club than any serious attempt to improve things. Beyond that there has been way too strong a British influence on the style of play (I say that despite the fact I'm from the UK originally FWIW) when what is needed to compete in CONCACAF is a slower tempo more possession oriented south European or Latin American sort of approach and that creates a lot of resentment amongst people from non-British backgrounds.

I'm skeptical that this Kevan Pipe dismissal heralds a new era. I suspect there were too many powerful provincial association noses out of joint after the complaints from Vancouver and Montreal about the terms of MLS expansion to Toronto and the decision to have the WYC 2007 final in Toronto rather than Edmonton that it didn't take much (i.e. the Hooper/Latham/Noonen controversy) for the only way to get everybody on amicable terms again was to find a fall guy so everybody could have the feeling that the new CEO would be more to their liking. Kevan Pipe's undoing was maybe that he was so busy plotting his next step up the soccer hierarchy to the CONCACAF or FIFA levels with a successful 2007 tournament that he didn't pay enough attention to keeping everybody onside domestically. Even with a new guy in Pipe's position the basic structural problem of running a coherent national program in what is one of the largest, most sparsely populated and decentralized countries in the world remains.

Soccer in Canada will succeed in spite of not because of the CSA and although it isn't a patriotic thing to say having access to the American league structures is what provides light at the end of the tunnel.

Or I would add in the case of the Daniel's of the World many fans who are stupid enough they actually think believing Hirschfeld is better then the mediocre Statamapolous and has been Canada's best goalkeeper for the last 3 years despite the CSA ignoring him that whole time, Radzinski being an overhyped slowing has been, or that Nsawila is better then atleast 2 of the defenders who regularly play for Canada, is actually a wierd thing to think. Reflecting only on the stupidity of such individuals who make up alot of Canada's most dedicated soccer fan base, making the mess that much more enjoyable.

http://www.answers.com/topic&r=67

See "on-".

I rarely post on this forum or have anything to do with the Voyageurs, but "WOW" talk about one hell of an announcement....Finally Kevin Pipe is GONE...hopefully the new visionary of Canadian Soccer is somebody who has a keen sense of direction like the USSF COO's, when they cleaned house in 1993 and started the US's rise to the top slowly but steadily.

I can't believe you are poisoning this thread with your verbal diarrhea about Lars again.

Wildboy, when was the last time that you saw any of the keepers in question play? This is actually the 4th time I've asked you this question.

quote:Originally posted by john tv

The rumour has it that Brian Avey is applying for the job.Brian was the provincial counterpart of Kevan, in Ontario. Brian moved to BC a couple of years ago after having been with the OSA for some 25 years or more.

This would be another soccer politician.

Article from the Ottawa Citizen:

Canadian soccer goes looking for new vision

Richard Starnes

The Ottawa Citizen

1105 words

4 November 2006

Ottawa Citizen

Final

C1 / Front

English

Copyright © 2006 Ottawa Citizen

When a cold wind begins to blow, it's sensible to take shelter. Sometimes, however, the wind gets up without warning and you find yourself frozen out.

That's what happened to Kevan Pipe, the chief operating officer of the Canadian Soccer Association, on Thursday. One moment he was in the warmth of his plush office in downtown Ottawa, the next he was being asked to leave and close the door behind him. He no longer had the job he'd held for 22 years.

The executive of the association won't put it this way, but Pipe's vision for the Canadian game had become blurred.

I'm sure his enthusiasm was still there and I'm just as sure he was looking forward to next year's world under-20 championships right here in Canada, with a chest swelling with pride. He feels he was the one who had landed an event that will attract a world TV audience of maybe 700 million.

I also happen to know how happy he was sitting in the driving seat while soccer became the largest participation sport in the country -- several miles ahead of hockey.

The trouble is, Canada's men's team has to admit it is a pathetic flop on the international scene. Our world rankings seem to hover close to that of Lithuania or Iraq most of the time -- about 80th. We have hardly caused as much as a blip during the Pipe reign. Certainly, when we managed a few surprisingly good results, nothing lasted. We were more of a laughing stock, and that has never sat well with a public that needs consistent success to be convinced soccer is a game worth pursuing, a game worth getting excited about, like most of the rest of the world sees it.

Pipe could never deliver that and, had we stopped to think about it, his demise was not only overdue, but also inevitable.

Sorry you had to go, Kevan. I am sure it must hurt, but you could no longer find the right path for your sport, and the executive was not prepared to stand for it anymore.

When I spoke to Colin Linford about it from his Kitchener, Ont., home yesterday, the association president tried to tell me there is never a good time to fire a person. Then he proceeded to explain why it was, actually, a perfect time. For three reasons.

Right now, Canada has no national men's coach because Frank Yallop suddenly jumped overboard in June to take over the Los Angles Galaxy, a team that might -- just might -- have David Beckham in its ranks before long.

Yallop, of course, didn't know that at the time, and still doesn't. But the Canadian job is a frustrating one at best and I, for one, do not blame him.

Richard Bate, who had been hailed as a soccer saviour, landed from England as the country's new technical director. A little more than six months after he arrived, I spoke with him at length. He told me two things that stuck most particularly in my head.

He said he had been given six months to tour the country, talk to as many people as he could to get the lay of the land and then present a report on how he thought things could change to drive Canada forward.

Know what he was told after handing in his findings? (And I cannot honestly say if this was Pipe's doing or not.) "Sorry, great report, but we don't have the money to do it."

That led to the second memory. "So what was the point?" he said. I then said the job sounded almost impossible and he replied, "Want my job? You can have it." I knew then he wasn't long for these shores.

So now he has quietly -- very quietly, because I confess I didn't know -- gone back to England to become technical director for new Premiership club Watford. He will be the big boy at the club's academy, developing stars of the future, much in the same way as Canada would have loved him to do for us.

So, when Pipe went this week, it was the third shoe to drop.

Now the three top jobs in the CSA are vacant. The way has been cleared for a new team to steer a new path that Linford and his executive dearly hope will turn us into a soccer nation to reckon with.

I already have hints of the way he wants things to go.

"It is an appropriate time to look to someone with a different vision to connect all the pieces," he says. "I can say the men's national team is the No. 1 priority."

Linford is fervently convinced a strong national team can help attract more exposure, more corporate sponsorship (that means money) and an atmosphere that will persuade everyone -- provincial associations, club coaches, local organizers, players -- that we really have something going. Row together and we will stop catching crabs and sinking the ship, he seems to say.

Linford wants that success because success generates a great deal of cash.

"I can see not beating the United States in CONCACAF and not beating Mexico where soccer is a religion," he says. "But I'm damned if I will miss the World Cup because I can't beat a Caribbean team.

"I don't mean qualifying sometimes for the World Cup, I mean qualifying every four years. Can you see how the U.S. game has improved? They have qualified for four of the last five and hosted the fifth. That generates something like $50 million or $60 million."

Imagine what that can do for a national soccer program.

It's an exciting time if you believe Linford, and he deserves to dream a little now that he has the opportunity to install three new men at the top of his tree.

Here's hoping he and his executive picks the right men.

Richard Starnes' Beautiful Game column appears Saturdays. Send comments and suggestions to rstarnes@thecitizen.canwest.com . or sportsletters@thecitizen.canwest.com .

Find his blog at www.ottawacitizen.com .

Guest speedmonk42

Reflecting only on the stupidity of such individuals who make up alot of Canada's most dedicated soccer fan base,

---------------------

I think this is unfair.

How often do we get to see our national team play? They don't play all that often and it is even less often on TV.

Informed opinions and reasonable discussions are almost impossible

Guest speedmonk42

Yep Canadian Soccer is sure a mess now. No COO, no head coach, no technical director.

--------------

Seems to me it is more like a great opportunity.

Is it going to suddenly get better? Who knows but it beats being stuck in the status quo.

I welcome the turmoil, especially if MLSE links the broader success of soccer to their own investment. Does it mean they will be right? Nope, not saying that either. But if something is going wrong, or no where, they might have the weight to shake it up.

Comment from Linford not good enough:

""I can see not beating the United States in CONCACAF and not beating Mexico where soccer is a religion," he says. "But I'm damned if I will miss the World Cup because I can't beat a Caribbean team."

Should be more then jist make the World Cup

That like the Maple Leafs feeling its the honour just to make the Playoff. I feel our objective should to be equal to the best any believe we can beat U.S.A. or Mexico not just Belize or Cuba. See no change in thinking here.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Maybe now we have gotten rid of our incompetent CEO we can get rid of some incompetent soccer journalists like Ben Knight. One of the reasons KP stuck around in the job so long is other than Davidson there was no other competent journalist covering the CSA. What is the purpose of this Ben Knight article other than assaulting us with poor writing style and grammar that shouldn't be acceptable in high school let alone from a supposed professional writer? For half of the article he brags about how great and principled he is for not associating with the CSA and KP because of his dislike for politics. Yet he did once risk being sent to the gulag and years of torture by being brave enough to ask KP a question several times. You are my hero Ben! Other than Ben praising his own heroics and principles there is not a lot information in this article nor a particularly interesting editorial opinion. It is sublime hypocrisy for Ben to criticize KP when despite all of his failings, KP was still trying to do his best for Canadian soccer unlike Ben: the guy who approved and applauded Hargreaves choice of England over Canada and who has stated many times that he is more interested in English soccer than Canadian soccer (yes you are such a principled guy Ben). If there is one guy who is more incompetent in his job than Kevin Pipe was, it is Ben Knight. Let's hope that Canada gets some real soccer journalists in addition to a top coach, competent CEO and visionary TD.

If we're going to do an old fashioned witch hunt I suggest the duck weight method as outlined in Monty Python's Holy grail. It's a surefire method of witch detection!! [8D] "He's a witch!!"

Ben is a columnist, and I find he writes with a personal, opinioned style which is best suited for writing columns. Do you expect Ben Knight to break some big story or cause controversy? That's not really the job that Sportsnet has hired him to do. I enjoy some of Ben's columns, but he's not supposed to be the big saviour of Canadian soccer journalism. I agree with your point about having more soccer journalism in this country, but sadly there is a weak demand for Canadian soccer coverage.

Anyways getting back to the topic at hand. How much money do you think the CSA should spend on replacing Pipe? Does anyone know how much he was making? A good COO would probably cost in the neighbourhood of $250,000 per year.

quote:Originally posted by gwallace76

Ben is a columnist, and I find he writes with a personal, opinioned style which is best suited for writing columns. Do you expect Ben Knight to break some big story or cause controversy?

What I would expect is someone who is knowledgeable about the game and has some writing skill as well. Compare him to Don Cherry. I may not agree with everything Cherry says and he tries to be controversial as well but noone can deny that Cherry knows a lot about the game and also has a lot inside information about teams and players. That is what makes him interesting to watch besides the controversy and larger than life personality, ie. there is some substance behind his bluster. Reading Ben Knight on the other hand is more equivalent to talking to some drunk guy in a bar who occasionally watches EPL on Saturday morning, ie. a lot of opinionated stuff based on little knowledge as opposed to Cherry who says a lot of opinionated stuff based on a lot of knowledge. The Richard Starnes article is excellent by the way. I also like what Linford has to say so hopefully he will actually achieve what he is promising.

Here we go again. Soccer is not a prime sport in the eyes of all of the Canadian media.It is a huge shame but there it is. I believe that Kevan's demise may very well be tied in to this racoon attitude.Canadian soccer is a stepchild at the most and it makes sense to see this performance of our Nat.Team, knowing that people that should write about our team all our players etc refuse to or even boycot or find some other excuse not to write about them at all.

It is a bitch to get their attention. Case in point last week,no Toronto Star at the FIFA media conference at all. Not a word in the paper. Hey maybe that is why he was canned,one for the Star.I truly believe that the Voyageurs have the power and one day the organization to change all that.

I have spoken to all our MNT players and they all have expressed their great concerns about the lack of media coverage.They are extremely critical of the Canadian media and yes these guys are use to big media,they know the power.

In the old days we had some good writers that tried,Jim Kernaghan,Tronto Star, Don Lovegroove,Hamilton Spectator,even Norm Dacosta and Ed Waring Globe.There is no soccer news at all in London since Jim retired,Norm got shafted,Don was never replaced and the other papers in town have no soccer writers except the Globe with peter Mallett who is fighting a battle to get some space for us. It sucks to high heaven.

To come back to that Star debacle,yes Canadian Press was there as I said before with two writers and the Star could have picked it up. They simply did not. Criminal that is. That Star soccer writer has never been to any of the media conferences and that alone will tell you tons.

Our girls got some very small write ups yet the papers were full with the Hooper thing.

Hey would it not be great if Jonathan is choosen as the Golden Boy and Christine Sinclair is female player of the year.We really have something going here,yet nothing at all. I sent some notes to the media about Jonathan,guess what,forget it.I truly believe that we as the Voyageurs can make a tremendous difference if we ever get organized properly.This is a BIG must,I know!

LAST WEEK I HAD TO SEE THE DOCTOR AND ALTHOUG I REFUSE TO BUY SPORTS ILLUSTRATED THERE IT WAS. COULD NOT RESIST TO READ THAT THING. KIND OF EXPECTED WHAT WOULD HAPPEN, BUT MY LITTEL BOY FEELINGS BECAME THE BETTER. OK THIS WAS THE SEPTEMBER ISSUE AND LOTS OF SOCCER IN THE STATES,PLAYOFFS ETC. KEPT BLATTERING THAT THING AND YOU GUESSED IT NOT ONE WORD ABOUT THE MLS,JUST A VERY SMALL ARTICLE ABOUR GIRLS SOCCER. THA RAG WAS FULL OF FOOTBALL,ETC PISTURES.

BOY DO THEY HAVE PROBLEMS AS WELL.SURGICAL SOCCER DESTRUCTION BY THAT RAG!

So:

"WEAK DEMAND IS THE UNDERSTATEMENT OF THE YEAR"!!!!!

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

What I would expect is someone who is knowledgeable about the game and has some writing skill as well. Compare him to Don Cherry. I may not agree with everything Cherry says and he tries to be controversial as well but noone can deny that Cherry knows a lot about the game and also has a lot inside information about teams and players. That is what makes him interesting to watch besides the controversy and larger than life personality, ie. there is some substance behind his bluster. Reading Ben Knight on the other hand is more equivalent to talking to some drunk guy in a bar who occasionally watches EPL on Saturday morning, ie. a lot of opinionated stuff based on little knowledge as opposed to Cherry who says a lot of opinionated stuff based on a lot of knowledge. The Richard Starnes article is excellent by the way. I also like what Linford has to say so hopefully he will actually achieve what he is promising.

I forgot to mention Lenarduzzi's columns, which he writes for the Vancouver Province. They are usually pretty good.

Once again I don't always agree with Ben Knight either, and I certainly rarely agree to what Don Cherry has to say. Sure Don has lots of respect from people within the game due to his coaching and playing career. He does know the game, but then again I beleive he is paid by the CBC $700,000</u> per year to appear on HNIC. He also couldn't put 2 structured sentences together if his life depended on it, but that hasn't stopped him from being on TV. :D

quote:Originally posted by gwallace76

I forgot to mention Lenarduzzi's columns, which he writes for the Vancouver Province. They are usually pretty good.

Once again I don't always agree with Ben Knight either, and I certainly rarely agree to what Don Cherry has to say. Sure Don has lots of respect from people within the game due to his coaching and playing career. He does know the game, but then again I beleive he is paid by the CBC $700,000</u> per year to appear on HNIC. He also couldn't put 2 structured sentences together if his life depended on it, but that hasn't stopped him from being on TV. :D

I have been reading some of Starnes previous columns and I certainly don't agree with him on the Hargreaves issue either as Starnes is English himself. Yet his columns are far superior to Ben's both in writing style and knowledge of the game. The problem with Ben isn't that he supports Hargreaves it is that he is a poor writer with little interesting to say about soccer.

WARNING Very late and very long. But what can I say. Been busy and sometimes you just get on a roll.

As always Littebox, the Voyageur’s telepathic fly on the wall with a photographic memory, doesn’t miss a thing when it comes to Canadian football and all its ins and outs.

Litterbox the telepathic fly;

So the priest says “That’s no alter-boy! That’s a lady!”

Cheeta;

“Ah, ha ha. Oh me boy-o, you’re gonna burn for that one. Damn, I’ve been too deep into by cups lately. So…. What’s the latest gossip?”

Litterbox;

“I’m sure you’ve heard by now Kevin Pipe got the chop.”

Cheeta;

“Absolutely. Great day. You got some dirt on that?”

Litterbox;

“You know I do. You know I do. Was hanging around in Ottawa this week, so with you in mind I flew over to the CSA offices to snoop around a bit. With the Hooper affair on and all I thought maybe I could get some juicy tidbits for you when all of a sudden there’s this big rush and some super important board room conference call…”

Cheeta;

“Hey yeah. Totally forgot about that women’s NT to-do. Spy any news about that or what?”

Litterbox;

“Pretty cut and dry really. From what I gathered Pellerud made a drunken pass at Charmaine during the CSA’s Canada Day party in Ottawa and she kicked him square in the lads. And HARD. It’s been all down hill between them from there.”

Cheeta:

“Ah ha ha ha ha!! Word ? Oh, that’s got to suck.”

Litterbox;

“Yuup. When it comes to those two I guess we know who the Alpha Male is.”

Cheeta;

“Geezus, that’s funny. Here, let me top up your drinky there..”

Littebox;

“Cheers. So anyway, there I am lurking around CSA HQ when suddenly there’s this panic conference call..

Receptionist;

“Mr. Pipe? Colin Linford is on line #1 for you. He’s conference calling from Vancouver with the members of the Executive Board. He says it’s important.”

Kevin Pipe;

“Sally, how often have I told you that when I’m in the CSA hot-tub suite with my personal secretaries I’m not to be disturbed?”

Sally;

“I’m Sorry, Mr. Pipe. But Mr. Linford was quite firm.”

Kevin Pipe;

“Alright then, guess you better push it through. Colin! Hello. What can I do for you?”

Colin Linford;

“Ah Christ. Ah Geezus. Get a towel on man!”

Kevin Pipe;

“Sorry. Forgot about the web cam.”

Colin Linford;

“Err. How do you do ladies?”

Secretary #1;

“President Linford.”

Secretary #2;

“Heeey, Colin. Long time no see.”

Colin Linford;

“Ah, ummm. Yes. Well. I have to be honest Kevin, the board is meeting right now to decide on your future. We felt it only fair to allow you to speak for yourself during our discussions.”

Kevin Pipe;

“Oh. I see. Well, what seems to be the problem gentlemen?”

Colin Linford;

“First off, our lawyers have had a look at some of the material related to the WNT affair going on right now and they feel the CSA may be in a bit of hot water. We’d like to ask you how it is that you came to the decision to side with Pellerud on this and what you’ve done to try to make this whole matter go away.”

Kevin Pipe;

“Well, from the evidence in the matter as it was presented to me I felt it best to side with the manager in this instance. No one player, however dissatisfied as she might be is greater than the sum of the team. Each ship has only one master and commander and with the senior WNT it’s Evan Pellerud. I’ve personaly telephoned Ms. Hooper in the hopes of smoothing over their differences and she’s sought to continue the matter. Quite unreasonably I feel and so for the benefit of the team during their upcoming tournament took the decision to suspend her and the others.”

Colin Linford;

“Yes. Charmaine recorded your conversations on her answering machine. You told her, and allow me to quote to stop being a bitch.”

Kevin Pipe;

“Well, she did kick Evan in the testicles. And as you know she’s a world class soccer player. She’s got quite a kick.”

Colin Linford;

“She says he stuck his tongue in her ear.”

Kevin Pipe;

“Well, I’ve had a tongue stuck in my ear and I didn’t kick anybody in the testicles.”

Colin Linford;

“I suppose that says all there is to say about that then. Mr. Kerfoot and Mr. Saputo, who I believe you’re both familiar with have enthusiasticaly raised some well thought out concerns regarding the Toronto National Stadium deal and it’s handlings. Some very well thought out concerns. Not the least of which is the facility management deal you personally oversaw and approved of with MLSE. Do you care to make a statement regarding this?”

Kevin Pipe;

“I feel that the stadium management agreement which was reached with MLSE is the best deal the CSA could have hoped to reach given the needs and requirements of both parties. The deal will ensure the future viability of this world class stadium complex for far into the future and will benefit soccer in the greater Toronto area as well as the CSA’s national team programs as a whole.”

Colin Linford;

“Again, Kevin. Our lawyers have had a detailed look at the 20 year facility management deal and they tell us that aside from the 6 international matchs which the facility is required to host each year there are in fact no guarantees that the facility has to be maintained as a soccer specific venue, or even be soccer friendly. They also tell us that there is no guarantee that those 6 international matchs even have to involve Canada’s national teams”.

Kevin Pipe;

“Really? Oops. My bad.”

Colin Linford;

“We also see a disclosure statement, from you, attached to the facility management contract.”

Kevin Pipe;

“Absolutely correct. I felt it was important for the transparency and integrity of the deal that I should disclose anything which might be viewed as favours, benefits or gratuities received by myself from MLSE. As you know these were long and drawn out discussions with a lot of work and long hours put in by both sides. At the end of the day I feel that by providing the disclosure statement I was able to insure the transparency and integrity of the process.”

Colin Linford;

“Transparency? The disclosure statement was written in a rare Chinese dialect practiced only by an ancient order of Tibetan monks during certain religious ceremonies.”

Kevin Pipe;

Ha, ha. We’d been celebrating the deal closing pretty hard when that was written up. It seemed funny at the time. Really it did. Huh? That waiter’s Chinese did seem pretty weird now that you mention it.”

Colin Linford;

“You also wrote it out on a wax paper wrapper stained with what I suspect is mustard. The only reason we even found the statement was because it stained the shirt of one of the lawyers. Kevin, you used your disclosure statement as the rear folder binding of the contract. We’ve been trying to translate the bloody thing for 10 weeks now but as you can appreciate it’s a troubling task. Speaking of troubling we have however managed to get a few lines right it seems. Box seats to Disney on Ice’s The Little Mermaid? Kevin, do you even have kids?”

Kevin Pipe;

“Who needs kids to appreciate a well practiced Disney show. Ha, ha. That Sebastian. Under the sea. That’s where I want to be. Under the sea.

Colin Linford;

“And what’s this part here, something-something six virgins as pure as winter’s snow?

Kevin Pipe;

“Ummm…”

Colin Linford;

Ummm..? I thought as much. Kevin I think I speak for the entire board when I state that I don’t feel this conference call is going to change the boards opinion one bit. In light of your years of service to the CSA, and for the benefit of the Association’s public image, let’s just say it’s time for a new direction. But Kevin, you’re fired.”

Kevin Pipe;

“With the upcoming World Youth Cup, top flight football returning to the greater Toronto area and the solid foundations built by the success of the women’s under 19 events hosted in Edmonton, soccer in Canada is reaching towards new heights nation wide.”

Colin Linford;

“Kevin? Are you even listening to me? You’re fired Kevin.”

Kevin Pipe;

“There is no plan B. It’s going to be huge. A national stadium….a national stadium.”

Colin Linford;

“Get out of the hot tube Kevin, you’re fired.”

Kevin Pipe;

“With player membership nearing a million… More Canadians than ever employed in the highest levels of the European leagues…Jack’s my friend. Jack Warner’s my friend….”

Colin Linford;

“Mr. Saputo are you still on the line? You were right, sir. Are you’re people ready to move.”

Joey Saputo;

“Yes I’m here and my people are just outside the door. We’ll have this dealt with. Grand Formage to Chocolate Milk. Grand Formage to Chocolate Milk. Execute Tango. Saying again. Execute Tango.

Chocolate Milk;

” buzzzz*** crack/crackle. Affirmative. Executing Tango. Go! Go! Go!”

- BLAM. Zow! “ AHHHHHH!” Sir, you are now trespassing. “ nOOOO”. Splash. Zing. “Sally, take a message!” Get him! Get him! Oooooff! “Forward all calls. Forward all calls.” – Jesus Christ! Lookout! He’s got a wet towel!--

Colin Linford;

“Well, that went better than expected…”

Cheeta;

“I’m not quite sure what to say….”

I thought the Ottawa Citizen article was quite good and balanced view of the situation re Pipe. I certainly agree with the view that we should expect to qualify every 4 years for the World Cup. We are the weakest conference, we have significantly more population and wealth than all the carribbean and central american countries. There are 4 spots. One of them should be ours. Its not acceptable that it is not. We should also be in a position to be able to "steal" points off the U.S. and Mexico even if we do not finish ahead of them in the qualifying table. If we do not qualify, than the coach should be sacked unless there is a good reason not to sack him. If we don't qualify for 2 in a row, then the COO and the Technical Director should be gone. People need to work under a certain amount of pressure and be forced to deliver the results that should be expected in our conference.

Simply Amazing how everybody finally sees the f_cking light after the fact. How about drafting up a job description for the CSA's latest job vacancy. (First let's trash B.K.'s resume.) What does Canadian soccer need the most? Maybe some quality soccer players? I don't know about you, but that would be kinda high on my list of priorities. If this is maintained as the primary mandate, how does the CSA go about improving the standard of play currently enjoyed by Canadians from coast to coast? The 3 Canadian USL rosters for this past season show approx. 40 Canadians earning a few dollars who are eligible to represent Canada internationally. That's no where near enough to kick the crap out of third world soccer nations like Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador, Trinidad & Tobago, Cuba, Jamaica and God only knows who else in CONCACAF we can embarrash ourselves against for that fourth and final qualifying spot for the World Cup Final. This list has continued to grow throughout that miserable prick's reign. Okay, for next year the whole of Canada spent $60M to maybe put another 10 Canadians on a Canadian payroll. Are they going to be worth $6M each? Highly un_ucking likely. How can the CSA promote soccer in Canada? However it's done, it will take money. Therefore maybe the next person to fill this post should have some money just to show that he knows how to make money, in addition a Canadian soccer background might also be of use when it come to understanding the environment he will have to be successful in, and finally a successful Canadian business track record is essential, because as Kevan the Grate stated, "It is a business. That really narrows down the list of potential candidates, doesn't it?