Kevan Pipe fired !!!

Bxl Boy

The allegations against Pellerud do not look good IMO. The stuff about telling Christine Latham to break her contract in Atlanta to play for a team who are indirectly providing him with a $6 million dollar mansion to live in does not look at all good from an ethical business practices standpoint.

As an aside the hint about it "started in 1997" would maybe be the Toronto Lynx given that is when they were established. But I find that more difficult to envisage.

A few quick points:

1. Pipe got some stuff done, but it was time for fresh blood. Good move on Linford and the committee's part.

2. I highly doubt--and seriously do not hope--that Pipe's dismissal has anything to do with the issues surrounding the women's team. Though these issues need to be resolved, they are puny compared to what needs to get done. This is not to say that the problems with the women's team did not play something of a role in addition to a boatload of other problems ie. Yallop, Bates leaving, lack of vision, ridiculous and unfounded two decade tenure etc.

3. I seriously hope that Linford and his fellow Executives have something of a strong vision for the CSA and Canadian soccer, and that they hire well and get us on the right path asap. They took what may very well have been a bold move--for which I am impressed--but I hope they have some real ideas, too.

4. I know it is in jest and we are all sort of giddy, but Kungfucultmaster, would you please delete your silly post. Come on, in the spirit of all the goodwill floating around the forum, just clean up your post. If not, maybe the mods should just delete the post.

5. Whatever happens with the new COO, without a doubt we are entering into a new era--finally. Let's hope that we see some important leaps forward.

To mangle a phrase commonly heard in November from our southern neighbours, "God Bless Charmaine Hooper". She's got the biggest pair of stones in Cdn soccer (metaphorically speaking only - she's a real lady!!!).

Interesting that the media is comparing the replacement of the new CEO of Canadian Soccer with Ken Read of Alpine Canada who has done wonders for the turn around of Canadian Skiing and sponsorship. Ken Read though is not just a former athlete of Skiing. He developed contacts in the media world and corporate world. He was involved in the IOC and the business world. He was agressive and not afraid to be critical of Canadian Alpine Athletes. He has always focused on excellence.

So, don't expect a Canadian Soccer player to necessarily fufill the role that Ken Read has done with Alpine Skiing in Canada. Interesting to hear Craig Forrest defend or refuse to criticize Kevan Pipe. He sounds like a brown noising politician in my view who is out for his own image over and above the best for Canadian soccer. Perhaps he knows he may run across him with Maple Leaf Sports or FieldTurf in the future.

quote:Originally posted by Moosehead

So, don't expect a Canadian Soccer player to necessarily fufill the role that Ken Read has done with Alpine Skiing in Canada. Interesting to hear Craig Forrest defend or refuse to criticize Kevan Pipe. He sounds like a brown noising politician in my view who is out for his own image over and above the best for Canadian soccer. Perhaps he knows he may run across him with Maple Leaf Sports or FieldTurf in the future.

When Inside Soccer did their all-Canada show, Forrest was on basically thanking Pipe for helping him get the job with Sportsnet. He wouldn't want to bite the hand that feeds him.

What can be desrcibed as what led to the eventual demise of Pipe was a long series of failures at the national team and club levels. He seemed to forget for a vision to be sucessful, the person that had that vision must be more proactive in achiving that.

Alpine Canada and the summer sports have gotten new leadership after hitting rock bottom and getting new leadership that understands the sport. Not the case with soccer.

Pipe accomplished things recently, but got so many people on his bad side that the only way to go forward and bring back these people to the CSA was to get rid of the figurehead.

The press release mentions changing directions. Here's hoping it'll be a concerted effort from COO to TD to Head coach.

Pipe accomplished things recently, but got so many people on his bad side that the only way to go forward and bring back these people to the CSA was to get rid of the figurehead.

The press release mentions changing directions. Here's hoping it'll be a concerted effort from COO to TD to Head coach.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Kibby

Ummmm............

When i saw the link i expected to open it up to see "HAHAHAHAH JUST KIDDING! GOt you!"... im in shock....

I also thought it was a joke thread.

I take it much like I might take a crap, relieved when happening, accompanied by banal reading material, and when its done, just forget about it immediately and get on with things.

Colin "Tabula Rasa" Linford.

In fact I am going to start a new Canada supporter's group called the "Tabula Rasa Boys", cause we are always starting all over again.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Kibby

Ummmm............

When i saw the link i expected to open it up to see "HAHAHAHAH JUST KIDDING! GOt you!"... im in shock....

I also thought it was a joke thread.

I take it much like I might take a crap, relieved when happening, accompanied by banal reading material, and when its done, just forget about it immediately and get on with things.

Colin "Tabula Rasa" Linford.

In fact I am going to start a new Canada supporter's group called the "Tabula Rasa Boys", cause we are always starting all over again.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

funniest post ever. the coyote has finally gotten the better of the roadrunner. historic.

does anyone know anything about pipe? who was this guy before his time with the CSA and what were/are his credentials to run canadian soccer?

Also thought this post was hilarious, laughed hard. It is so absurd and yet real that we are talking about the general director of the sports association involved in such critical fashion. Go good gutteral post Robert.

I think we should hire Holger's son in Saskatchewan for the job.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

funniest post ever. the coyote has finally gotten the better of the roadrunner. historic.

does anyone know anything about pipe? who was this guy before his time with the CSA and what were/are his credentials to run canadian soccer?

Also thought this post was hilarious, laughed hard. It is so absurd and yet real that we are talking about the general director of the sports association involved in such critical fashion. Go good gutteral post Robert.

I think we should hire Holger's son in Saskatchewan for the job.

According to the Toronto Star the reason may be related to the stadium deal for BMO Field:-

http://tinyurl.com/wgvyw

A source close to the situation says the executive wasn't happy with the deal Pipe negotiated for the CSA on BMO Field, the soccer stadium set to open at Exhibition Place next spring.

The source said the CSA's presence in negotiations helped prompt the federal government to invest $27 million in the stadium. Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment — which owns the Major League Soccer franchise the stadium will house — has already made a profit selling the stadium's naming rights. The CSA, however, will receive nothing except reduced rent for national team games.

According to the Toronto Star the reason may be related to the stadium deal for BMO Field:-

A source close to the situation says the executive wasn't happy with the deal Pipe negotiated for the CSA on BMO Field, the soccer stadium set to open at Exhibition Place next spring.

The source said the CSA's presence in negotiations helped prompt the federal government to invest $27 million in the stadium. Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment — which owns the Major League Soccer franchise the stadium will house — has already made a profit selling the stadium's naming rights. The CSA, however, will receive nothing except reduced rent for national team games.

While the stadium deal might have irritated some Directors, I suspect it more broad than that.

I know from my experiences at the community level that there is very little positive coming from the CSA. In fact, Pipe and the CSA can take very little credit for the growth of the sport in this country. It would have happened without any CSA. DeVos's point about accountability is an important one.

The marketing ability and public image of the CSA is also very weak. One only had to attend the U-20 game at the Dome in Toronto last summer to be embarrassed by the image presented by our National Association. I hope we do a better job with the U-20 World Championships next summer. Part of this is doing a better job getting money through Corporate Sponsorships.

In short, Linford may be telling it like it is. It may have simply been a cumulation of things that led to the decision. As well, I think the drums were beating far longer than is suggested by some.

quote:Originally posted by BringBackTheBlizzard

While the stadium deal might have irritated some Directors, I suspect it more broad than that.

I know from my experiences at the community level that there is very little positive coming from the CSA. In fact, Pipe and the CSA can take very little credit for the growth of the sport in this country. It would have happened without any CSA. DeVos's point about accountability is an important one.

The marketing ability and public image of the CSA is also very weak. One only had to attend the U-20 game at the Dome in Toronto last summer to be embarrassed by the image presented by our National Association. I hope we do a better job with the U-20 World Championships next summer. Part of this is doing a better job getting money through Corporate Sponsorships.

In short, Linford may be telling it like it is. It may have simply been a cumulation of things that led to the decision. As well, I think the drums were beating far longer than is suggested by some.

quote:Originally posted by BringBackTheBlizzard

Strange timing. Pipe has done a good job recently with the triple package of landing the FIFA U20s, the stadium in Toronto and MLS in Toronto. If anything the move should have been made after Canada failed to qualify for the 1998 World Cup. We needed a radically new direction then but the CSA meekly stuck with Kevan after this failure.

That said, the CSA needs more sponsorship $$ to get a full-time national academy running and a winter program for North American based players. Anything a new COO can do to make this reality would make this move very beneficial.