Match Thread: World Cup Group B - Matchday 2 - Canada v Ireland - July 26, 2023 - 8 am ET / 5 am PT / 8 pm local time

On 7/22/2023 at 8:09 PM, beachesl said:

FREE LIVE STREAMS for international Canada supporters?

Here is one, but it is not the best, due to a small ad in the middle and faltering connection,  but it is how I saw Canada vs Nigeria in Argentina: https://ggsport.tv/       So far, the England match I am now watching works well there.

If anybody has a better free streaming to share internationally, please share it with a quote to this post, so I get some notice.

It's obviously a little late, but for the Australia match, try FIFA TV.  

https://www.plus.fifa.com/en/showcase/f9d41832-a28c-4d5c-ad3f-231944831440?gl=jp&intcmp=(p_fifaplus)_(d_plusfifa)_(c_webheader-main)_(sc_watch)_(ssc_fwwc-2023)_(da_20072023)_(l_en)

The commentary might be available only in your local language.  I was able to change languages for the Nigeria game, but not the Ireland game.

With all the problems going on in the sport here I think all of Canadian soccer needed that win right now. Huge result.

They need more forward play with the ball at their feet at a much quicker pace. Accuracy is starting to come but needs work. Now higher quality shots on target and finishing need to be worked out. 

Please dont play hoof ball anymore. 

The Aussies will be tough but are very beatable. Keep it going ladies.

Finally some damn urgency we showed in the 2nd half because after Ireland scored that Olimpico goal off the corner, I admit I lost my shit. I was so damn angry like we were playing with no urgency until we equalized off that own goal but even then we didn't really deserve that goal. But then when Leon scored the winner, I admit I settled and was calm afterwards. But these girls do a lot to my blood pressure sometimes. 

Is it just me, or does Schmidt look better now than she did 10 years ago? I was never a big fan and thought she was quite limited as a player (always playing it safe, running around without doing much a la Tiebert), but she has looked good and positive in both matches. Grosso was invisible and Schmidt slotted in and was key to turning the tide.  

1 hour ago, Soro17 said:

Is it just me, or does Schmidt look better now than she did 10 years ago? I was never a big fan and thought she was quite limited as a player (always playing it safe, running around without doing much a la Tiebert), but she has looked good and positive in both matches. Grosso was invisible and Schmidt slotted in and was key to turning the tide.  

To be fair to Grosso, she did play in the absolutely vital killer ball that caused the own goal that totally deflated Ireland and led to Canada's strong second half performance. Other than that, she was invisible....

11 minutes ago, Soro17 said:

To be fair to Grosso, she did play in the absolutely vital killer ball that caused the own goal that totally deflated Ireland and led to Canada's strong second half performance. Other than that, she was invisible....

She's not that invisible.  I see her all the time on the BMO ads. 😉

Based on what I have seen so far in two games, Quinn has been our best player.  Excellent in the defensive mid role:  breaks up plays and keeps the possession rolling.  If she's not clicking or not available, our chances for a spot in the semis get curtailed significantly.

2 hours ago, jonovision said:

I thought Sinclair did well at breaking up plays, choosing the right pass, pressuring the ball, and generally dictating play from the front. It was her finishing that let her down more than once. You'd expect the opposite from someone who doesn't really have any legs left.

The positive stuff you mentioned was what was needed to get us going on the attack.  It's funny how the two old(er) players most maligned on here in recent times (Sinclair and Schmidt) were the ones that made a big difference to start that second half and put us on the front foot.  That first half was terrible:  too many hit-and-hopes up the field.

11 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

The positive stuff you mentioned was what was needed to get us going on the attack.  It's funny how the two old(er) players most maligned on here in recent times (Sinclair and Schmidt) were the ones that made a big difference to start that second half and put us on the front foot.  That first half was terrible:  too many hit-and-hopes up the field.

The first 30 minutes of the first half were terrible, but after that Ireland seemed to have run out of gas and ideas. I agree that Sinclair and Schmidt were excellent, but I do think that both, and especially Sinclair, need to be playing much less than 90 minutes each match for their minutes to be this effective. For what it's worth, your analysis that Schmidt and Quinn were two of our most effective players is echoed by sites like fotmob and sofascore, with Huitema also being rated highly.

In the end Canada could easily have 2 or 3 more goals, with Gilles' first half miss and Sinclair's first miss (unmarked slow roller right at the keeper) being the biggest chances gone missing. 

I find the chatter around teams like Ireland to be frustrating: lots of running and 'getting stuck in' (ie: fouling persistently enough that the referee is going to be reluctant to call all of them). I have my suspicions that if a team from CAF or AFC played in the same manner they wouldn't be as celebrated. A creditable first WC appearance, but ultimately a forgettable bunch.

Edited by jonovision

35 minutes ago, jonovision said:

The first 30 minutes of the first half were terrible, but after that Ireland seemed to have run out of gas and ideas. I agree that Sinclair and Schmidt were excellent, but I do think that both, and especially Sinclair, need to be playing much less than 90 minutes each match for their minutes to be this effective.

In the end Canada could easily have 2 or 3 more goals, with Gilles' first half miss and Sinclair's first miss (unmarked slow roller right at the keeper) being the biggest chances gone missing. 

I find the chatter around teams like Ireland to be frustrating: lots of running and 'getting stuck in' (ie: fouling persistently enough that the referee is going to be reluctant to call all of them). I have my suspicions that if a team from CAF or AFC played in the same manner they wouldn't be as celebrated. A creditable first WC appearance, but ultimately a forgettable bunch.

Sinclair is strictly a sub so should not be a 90 minute player in any conversation but you can see the smart plays and decision making (not always, of course) that we were bereft of in that first half.  Moscata said it best with her analysis at half tiime (channeling the anti-thesaurus TSN Scot):  we lacked quality in the final third.  It was hard to watch.

Huitema is a big time athlete with height and plenty of pace as well as enough technical ball skills to cause problems if you afford her space (like that turn and shot).  But when she's matched up against tighter marking against high calibre opponents, she doesn't have the craft yet to deal with it and so she loses those types of physical duels too easily.  

The female Roy Keane for them is the genuine goods, imo.  Number 17 had some good moments. The rest lack craft and you can only go so far on commitment and emotion.

I'm not sure what result to hope for in the Australia-Nigeria match.

If Australia beats Nigeria: 
Canada wins the group with a win over Australia in the final group match.
Canada finishes second with a draw against Australia.
Canada finishes second with a loss to Australia if Ireland beats or draws Nigeria or if Canada's GD is better than Nigeria's GD if Nigeria beats Ireland.

If Nigeria beats Australia:
Canada wins the group with a win over Australia.
Canada will finish first or second with a draw against Australia. They would win the group with a draw if Ireland beats Nigeria or if Canada's GD is better than Nigeria's GD if Nigeria draws Ireland.
A loss to Australia would eliminate Canada unless Ireland beats Nigeria and Canada has a better GD than Nigeria.

If Australia and Nigeria draw:
Canada wins the group with a win over Australia.
Canada wins the group with a draw against Australia if their GD is better than Australia's and if Nigeria doesn't beat Ireland.
Canada will finish second with a draw against Australia if their GD is worse than Australia's and their GD is better than Nigeria's GD if Nigeria beats Ireland.
Canada will finish second with a loss against Australia and if Nigeria doesn't beat Ireland.

I think the best results for Canada in the Australia-Nigeria match would be a 0-0 draw or a 1-0 win for Nigeria. Both of those results would have Canada leading the group (on goals scored) going into the final group matches.

Thoughts?

If we win the group we play 2nd in D, either Denmark or England, most likely. I think England is harder but then Denmark has Harder (that was easy). 

Frankly since England may not be that great this tournament it may not matter.

As @dyslexic nam says, beating Australia is better, also as an upward tournament curve is preferable.

Good thing is that the B-D ties are played after a longer rest.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

33 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

If we win the group we play 2nd in D, either Denmark or England, most likely. I think England is harder but then Denmark has Harder (that was easy). 

Frankly since England may not be that great this tournament it may not matter.

As @dyslexic nam says, beating Australia is better, also as an upward tournament curve is preferable.

Good thing is that the B-D ties are played after a longer rest.

But what if we finish 2nd because that could happen too? Either way we just either need to beat Australia or draw with them but we have to depend on Australia to beat Nigeria 🇳🇬 

But Australia are dependent on Sam Kerr that's the thing and if they are going to be missing her against Nigeria, I only shudder to think of what could happen there because we know how formidable Nigeria is or can be case in point their game against us