Match Thread: World Cup Group B - Matchday 2 - Canada v Ireland - July 26, 2023 - 8 am ET / 5 am PT / 8 pm local time

Canada v Ireland
Wednesday July 26, 2023
8 am ET / 5 am PT (8 pm local)
Perth Rectangular Stadium, Perth, Australia

Broadcast in Canada:
TSN, CTV, RDS, FOX

Canada's roster:

image.png.22b1fdd0192755a009dae0a1f2468929.png

Ireland Roster:

image.thumb.png.eefaa0f5f3b0b14e6739f9e0d888421d.png

Referee:

To be confirmed.

Group Standings:

image.png.dd43b6c57a5706549e3bb9a9e1acad42.png

Some may have missed some of this Irish drama leading up to the finals: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2023/jul/15/republic-of-ireland-players-feared-for-their-bodies-in-colombia-womens-world-cup-friendly

I actually thought Canada got bullied off the ball quite a bit in the first match. Perhaps they could have had another couple of free kicks or even yellows go their way but, overall, we weren't as physical as the Nigerians. Half our team seemed to be limping off the field at the end, as well.

Perhaps we should go in a lot tougher in match 2, field a more physical lineup,especially given this Irish reputation, whether founded or not, after the Colombia abandonment.

Edited by nolando

7 hours ago, nolando said:

Some may have missed some of this Irish drama leading up to the finals: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2023/jul/15/republic-of-ireland-players-feared-for-their-bodies-in-colombia-womens-world-cup-friendly

I actually thought Canada got bullied off the ball quite a bit in the first match. Perhaps they could have had another couple of free kicks or even yellows go their way but, overall, we weren't as physical as the Nigerians. Half our team seemed to be limping off the field at the end, as well.

Perhaps we should go in a lot tougher in match 2, field a more physical lineup,especially given this Irish reputation, whether founded or not, after the Colombia abandonment.

The Irish reaction to Colombia's play is a bit rich given Ireland is considered one of the most physical teams in the World Cup. They may not do agricultural type tackles of Nigeria or Colombia but expect to be clocked a few times. They remind of Canada of the early aughts under Pellerud. 

Whoever is lining up against Katie McCabe as FB or winger for Canada should get ready to be snapped, crackled and popped.

Reactions from playing Australia:

Edited by red card

The issue with McCabe came out during the Aussie game itself, as she was crunching in on the limit, with the refs letting it go. Not a few have pointed to their hypocrisy whining about that friendly vs. Colombia where they saw their own style mirrored back at them. 

They need to manage this goon mentalilty a bit better in women's football. I recall, years back, you'd permit it because there was a lack of technical prowess and a lot of tackling was late and rash. They were mistakes. But now there is really no excuse, it is cynical, potentially very harmful, and diminishes the game. Against Nigeria I think there was one that had three cynical fouls in the first minutes and that Finnish ref, as expected, just was sleepwalking through it.

Canada basically have to beat Ireland because even on a draw Canada would have 2 points, then you would have to beat the hosts Australia to get 5 points to even have any shot at the Round of 16. Or Canada would have to hope Australia beats Nigeria in the 2nd group game. But even then Nigeria faces Ireland in the last group game. To beat the hosts definitely won't be easy especially when they are playing at home. 

Considering now it is not 24 teams anymore and it is 32 teams in the Women's World Cup, you can't get to the Round of 16 as a 3rd place team. If you finish 3rd, you're going home. It is as simple as that. 

Which means Canada basically has to beat Ireland, it is a must win that's my point.

FREE LIVE STREAMS for international Canada supporters?

Here is one, but it is not the best, due to a small ad in the middle and faltering connection,  but it is how I saw Canada vs Nigeria in Argentina: https://ggsport.tv/       So far, the England match I am now watching works well there.

If anybody has a better free streaming to share internationally, please share it with a quote to this post, so I get some notice.

Starting line-up for Canada? I'm torn,but we will need a physical team against Ireland. Leave Sinclair+ Huitsma  on the bench, but is Prince up to  it?

Schmitt and Fleming in the midfield, if Fleming fit? We need to be more efficient there, they were pretty porous.

Lawrence is needed even though she has a yellow...this is the match to go all out for a win  or we are going home after          1 1/2 weeks. Buchanan for sure. Chapman at the back too?

I don't know much about the goalkeepers. Sheridan was mostly good, wobbly on a few occasions.

I hope we get a better ref for some control of Ireland. The one in the England-Haiti match seems good, but not too much contact. I liked what she did with  the retaken penalty for the Haiti goalkeeper advancing to fast from the line.  

3 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

...Which means Canada basically has to beat Ireland, it is a must win that's my point.

Doubt that's mission impossible, although the same could have been said about the Nigeria game obviously. The Republic of Ireland team celebrated their qualification by chanting their support for a terrorist organization that murdered 1800 people so hope they get annihilated in this game.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/2022/12/08/fai-fined-20000-by-uefa-over-ireland-womens-teams-up-the-ra-chant/

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Doubt that's mission impossible, although the same could have been said about the Nigeria game obviously. The Republic of Ireland team celebrated their qualification by chanting their support for a terrorist organization that murdered 1800 people so hope they get annihilated in this game.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/2022/12/08/fai-fined-20000-by-uefa-over-ireland-womens-teams-up-the-ra-chant/

But the Irish had their chances to shock Australia let's not forget that and they did lose despite being debutants and their women are going to come out physical the whole way trying to give our girls problems

Ireland are going to be physical with us so we're going to have to be just as physical with them but it won't be pretty but we need to get a result in this game. If we don't we literally would have to beat Australia but even then we would have to depend on other results to go our way literally or it would come down to goal difference. 

This is why our girls don't need to leave their fates up to other teams but we need to do the job ourselves and that is beating Ireland at all costs.

2 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

The quality of our long balls has been atrocious 

Agreed. We are executing poorly overall, and are playing like we deserve to be losing.  Ireland have been confident and threatening, and we have no response. 

Edited by RJB

9 minutes ago, RJB said:

Agreed. We are executing poorly overall, and are playing like we deserve to be losing.  Ireland have been confident and threatening, and we have no response. 

We are terrible.  We can’t control the ball, we can’t pass, and we make stupid decisions. Ireland also defends better than us and just uses their opportunities better.  Just much smarter up to this point of the match