League 1 Ontario 2023 Season

• 4 weeks later...

League 1 Ontario season will start second weekend in April this season which is earliest start ever.  I learned this while talking to the pres and treasurer of Vaughan FC as to the reasons they turned down a 50/50 chance (or better) to host the Preliminary round game in the Canadian Championship which will appear in the February 2023 issue of The Sentinel in two weeks. 

There will be a staggered start in that some teams who control their own grounds can host home games earlier than those that rely on Parks and Recreation departments of the cities and towns they're in.  

1 hour ago, P-O said:

Do we have any lists of clubs interested to join L1 by 2024?

Anyone joining now has to start at level 2 with all the reserve teams and academies and work their way up to Championship (the 10 teams that will be relegated for next season) and work their way up to the Premier level of top 12 teams.  

So no teams coming in anymore with a big splash into the top like Simcoe Rovers nor Electric City. 

3 hours ago, Rocket Robin said:

So no teams coming in anymore with a big splash into the top like Simcoe Rovers nor Electric City. 

That is the down side to the new structure.

That said, the gap between L1OP and L1OC isn't so huge that fans would be dissuaded from coming out because a new team is "way down" in L1OC.  New teams could still come in ambitiously with the reasonable goal of quickly winning their way up.

I should also add that I'm looking forward to reading your game reports again this year.

Edited by Kingston

18 hours ago, Rocket Robin said:

Anyone joining now has to start at level 2 with all the reserve teams and academies and work their way up to Championship (the 10 teams that will be relegated for next season) and work their way up to the Premier level of top 12 teams.  

L1O is by suburban GTA youth clubs for suburban GTA youth clubs and the OSA's internal voting structure will help keep it that way where the D3 sanctioning level is concerned.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

On 2/3/2023 at 1:43 PM, Kingston said:

That is the down side to the new structure.

That said, the gap between L1OP and L1OC isn't so huge that fans would be dissuaded from coming out because a new team is "way down" in L1OC.  New teams could still come in ambitiously with the reasonable goal of quickly winning their way up.

I should also add that I'm looking forward to reading your game reports again this year.

I feel the opposite. I think the new structure is good for the ambitious teams, even prospective ones. It forces them to prove their merits match their dreams, and if/when they reach the top, it's best on best, instead of having a lot of filler. We have seen teams come in with big talk and not able to hack it in the past. A few years of learning on their way up the ladder isn't the worst thing.

On 2/7/2023 at 8:02 AM, Kingston said:

This is a great article and well worth the read.  Very interesting to hear an official take on a lot of D3 thoughts that have been discussed on this board.

Thank you so much. I was the one who did the interview and did the Twitter thread and article covering what was said. Was great talking to Dino, who is clearly very passionate about L1C

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

called it...keeping all 22 teams until 2024 was a pipe dream...specially in a amateur/semi-pro environment...and even after pro rel arrives you could have teams folding, not wanting to go up, wanting to drop levels....will be a headache

28 minutes ago, Big_M said:

called it...keeping all 22 teams until 2024 was a pipe dream...specially in a amateur/semi-pro environment...and even after pro rel arrives you could have teams folding, not wanting to go up, wanting to drop levels....will be a headache

No more of a headache than it always has been.

Schedule for L1O is up today at the league site.  

20 game schedule for 21 teams.  Most teams get 10 home, 10 away BUT 

Darby, Scrosoppi, Sigma, Simcoe County, Windsor, and Woodbridge only get nine home games. 

Blue Devils, BVB Waterloo, North Toronto Nitros, and ProStars get eleven at home AND 

St Catharines Roma Wolves get 12 home games!  

15 hours ago, Rocket Robin said:

Schedule for L1O is up today at the league site.  

20 game schedule for 21 teams.  Most teams get 10 home, 10 away BUT 

Darby, Scrosoppi, Sigma, Simcoe County, Windsor, and Woodbridge only get nine home games. 

Blue Devils, BVB Waterloo, North Toronto Nitros, and ProStars get eleven at home AND 

St Catharines Roma Wolves get 12 home games!  

St Catharine's home game against Sigma is at Tim Hortons Field, so maybe Sigma was supposed to be the home team and they just mixed it up. Really its more of a road game for both I guess.

Looking forward to your match reports again this season. Keep up the great work Rocket Robin! I especially like the coaches interviews you did last year

• 3 weeks later...

The Saturday March 25, 2023 pre-season game between CPL York United FC and L1O Simcoe County Rovers scheduled for 10:30am at the Ontario Soccer Centre was cancelled (actually about Monday) because York has about six players injured. 

A few details on my site. March 25, 2023...York United FC vs Simcoe County Rovers (by Rocket Robin) (rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com)

• 3 weeks later...

Lineups:

NORTH TORONTO NITROS INDIVIDUALS

# NAME MIN G A SH SOG YC RC
  Justin Santos 0 2 0 0 0 0 0
  Juan Delgadillo 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
  Jacob Carlos 0 0 0 0 0 1 0
  Christian Westlaken 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
  Alex Meczarski 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
  Akeim Villous 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
  Brandon Barone 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
  Zakaria Abdi 0 0 0 0 0 0 0