League 1 Ontario 2023 Season

On 6/1/2023 at 9:44 PM, rydermike said:

Hey Rocket Robin, I saw on your schedule/results list it says Unionville's win over Windsor was changed to a loss. Do you have info to what happened there? Guessing it was a default/forfeit, but any insight into why? 

Yes I heard from some game officials ie referees while I was at a game weeks later that it was because of using an ineligible player. 

Result and details of the June 10/23 League1 Ontario Men's Premier League game between Sigma FC and North Mississauga SC played at Paramount FF Centre. Big implications for the Credit River Cup. Includes a 21 min interview with NMiss head coach Amir Riazi.  Another team that's going the young player route for development rather than paying older Mike Mercenary to try for the Top 12.  Hey 16 year old Anthony Morano made the York United FC bench on Friday night as a short term signing. 

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports23/23l1o036.htm

On 5/22/2023 at 10:48 AM, Pottsy3 said:

Adam Czerkawski scored a hattrick  in Oakville's win vs. Darby yesterday. He's always been listed as a defender, but watching parts of the game it seems he played really high up on the field. 5 goals on the season for him.

This has been such a wild ride. In 4 games since seemingly converting to forward, Czerkawaki is now up to 10 goals. Still only 23 and the big man was considered one of the leagues better defenders.

Result and details of the Fri June 23/23 League1 Ontario game between Darby FC and Guelph united played in Whitby. Guelph now shares 1st place for at least a day. Includes my post game interview with GU head coach Justin Springer. That makes 16 coaches so far this season.   

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports23/23l1o042.htm 

On 6/26/2023 at 1:35 PM, Rocket Robin said:
Result and details of the Sun June 25/23 League1 Ontario game between Vaughan Azzurri and BVB IA Waterloo played at NRMP in Vaughan. Also includes my interview with Waterloo head coach John O'Brien. (my 18th L1O coach interview in 2023)

This is amazing.

"Vaughan had been beaten 1-0 by Guelph United last week for its first loss to a L1O team since the pre pandemic years. This was three weekends after the team had spared about 12 players to compete in the 'Million Dollar Challenge' down in North Carolina where they advanced to the final but meanwhile the players who didn't go still won their L1O game! (Yeah OK it was against last place Unionville-Milliken SC). This team is DEEP."

Result and details of the Sun July 2/23 League1 Ontario game between Woodbridge Strikers and Electric City FC played at Vaughan Grove. Includes a post game interview with EC head coach Randy Ribeiro.  
Only Hamilton United left until I've seen all 21 teams. 

17 hours ago, Rocket Robin said:

Result and details of the Sun July 2/23 League1 Ontario game between Woodbridge Strikers and Electric City FC played at Vaughan Grove. Includes a post game interview with EC head coach Randy Ribeiro.  
Only Hamilton United left until I've seen all 21 teams. 

It sounds like things have, understandably, gone from "we're in League 1 until we move to the CPL" to "yeah, the CPL would be nice one day if things align".

6 hours ago, Kingston said:

It sounds like things have, understandably, gone from "we're in League 1 until we move to the CPL" to "yeah, the CPL would be nice one day if things align".

Yeah, think the approach to Electric City for the future change as their inaugural season went along. Rob Jenkins who was brought in  a president, whom was involved with Calvary and Foothills before that. He was very much pushing that CPL was the future, even talked about a future stadium location. I think some of the ownership over time decided to take a more wait and see approach based on seeing the landscape. Jenkins quietly left before seasons end and the approach to the lead up of their second season was much more reserved. 

On 7/4/2023 at 5:48 PM, Cblake said:

Yeah, think the approach to Electric City for the future change as their inaugural season went along. Rob Jenkins who was brought in  a president, whom was involved with Calvary and Foothills before that. He was very much pushing that CPL was the future, even talked about a future stadium location. I think some of the ownership over time decided to take a more wait and see approach based on seeing the landscape. Jenkins quietly left before seasons end and the approach to the lead up of their second season was much more reserved. 

I think even if the owner had unlimited funds the CPL would still put him at the back of the line for a certain order of more teams:  

1.  Saskatchewan somewhere still searching for money for a stadium?

2. A Quebec team (or maybe two) 

3. A team in Windsor because the first CPL commissioner has the right. 

4 Another team on the east coast

5 OK maybe now Peterborough in 10+ years. 

15 hours ago, Rocket Robin said:

I think even if the owner had unlimited funds the CPL would still put him at the back of the line for a certain order of more teams:  

1.  Saskatchewan somewhere still searching for money for a stadium?

2. A Quebec team (or maybe two) 

3. A team in Windsor because the first CPL commissioner has the right. 

4 Another team on the east coast

5 OK maybe now Peterborough in 10+ years. 

I don't think they'd make him wait for the other teams if they wanted the market.  It's not like there are a finite number of teams to go around.

I think the bigger issue is that there's no way the CPL is going in to a market with a metro population of only 135 000.

On 7/11/2023 at 12:06 PM, Kingston said:

I don't think they'd make him wait for the other teams if they wanted the market.  It's not like there are a finite number of teams to go around.

I think the bigger issue is that there's no way the CPL is going in to a market with a metro population of only 135 000.

Exactly. It doesn't make sense to get one owner to wait until another owner materializes or gets their ducks in a row. If they did we probably still wouldn't have teams in Ottawa or Vancouver, because the province of Quebec has been (or should be) a higher priority than them. If someone comes up with the money and the stadium (and whatever other requirements there are) they will get themselves a team, despite fans dreams of who should be next.

Questions about League 1 Ontario I hope some learned supporters can answer.  What are attendances like? Does it vary from team to team, or do all just attract one man and a dog type attendances? I know attendances are low, but I was curious if anyone attracts 3-digit attendances on the regular. There seems to be a variation on where teams play, some seem to have basic stands, and others seem to play in a park or something.  Are any of the grounds used any good? Do you (as in the general you) have a particular favourite you've attended, or grounds which are just not any good for football/soccer (be it pitch, or amenities... or whatever).

Also, which league 1 is the better standard of football.... Quabec or Ontario? I've looked through teams and was surprised at the standard a few players have played (especially a few of the French-speaking foreign nationals playing semi-pro/amateur Quabec).  I would add BC, but I reckon BC would probably be a bit behind the other two?

Are League 1 teams strictly amateur, or are they semi-pro, or is it a mix? 

Thanks, I was just curious about these things. I'm not Canadian, so it's all a bit odd.

On 7/16/2023 at 12:40 PM, Rocket Robin said:

Result and details of the Sat July 15/23 League1 Ontario game between Scrosoppi FC and Simcoe County Rovers played at Ontario Soccer Centre in Vaughan. Rain held off to get this game in. http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports23/23l1o053.htm

The "Giovante" you couldn't find on the gamesheet, I assume is Jevontae Layne