League 1 Ontario 2023 Season

Chris Keem, Manager of L1O Ops via Northern Tribune says Sudbury was only expansion application to hit nearly all points - only got docked for VIP tickets but it was then resolved. Everything else from pitch, community outreach, merchandising to PR was all planned out. Even travel was taken care of as they'll use Wolves team bus not being used during summer.

Sudbury has also reached to other OHL teams and several of them have shown interest in launching a L1O team. 

There was a total of 40 applications but was easily cut to 20. Keem said many lacked the basic structures of club development and sustainability. Of the 20, 6 gave up after being graded and given feedback on their finances, coaching, and marketing. These clubs were only focused on the on-pitch product.

2 were given provisional expansion status for 2025 if they followed recommended changes. 3 needed minor adjustments and 4 were ready to go.

For the existing clubs, there has been clubs whose licenses were considered for revoking for not meeting standards. The league largely funds its ref development from club fines for such things as no scoreboard, subpar change rooms and no physio at the match.

Keem wants the clubs to view their product as sports entertainment rather than just a soccer league. Just posting on social media that they have a game tonight isn't enough.

https://northerntribune.ca/league1-ontario-chris-keem-growth-standards/

All of the standards based stuff - field, facilities, etc. - is important and also relatively easy to do.  Their are budget constraints and so on but it is basically a check list that teams can work through.  It depends on the teams.

The thing that I think will take the league up a notch will be getting meaningful numbers of fans out to the games to support their local club.  That will get attention on the teams and, if done well, drive enough revenue so that the clubs can sustain themselves at the higher level.  I don't mean massive crowds but something in the 500 to 1000 range instead of the 50 to 200 range.  This, unfortunately, will be more difficult to do because it involves other people and not just a checklist the teams can do.

7 hours ago, JamboAl said:

What a great game tonight!  Simcoe County Rovers won 4-2 over Scrosoppi FC and will play in the Voyageurs Cup next season.  They will be a handful no matter who they draw.   Also an amazing crowd with probably 500-600 supporters making the drive down from Barrie.  

How about the total crowd?

Is there a way to see the broadcast online?

I think the length of league and number of games has to make L1O attractive for players across the country. BC is too short, and anyways is an addendum to U-Sports or the Whitecaps programs. 

On 9/1/2023 at 10:09 PM, red card said:

Chris Keem, Manager of L1O Ops via Northern Tribune says Sudbury was only expansion application to hit nearly all points - only got docked for VIP tickets but it was then resolved. Everything else from pitch, community outreach, merchandising to PR was all planned out. Even travel was taken care of as they'll use Wolves team bus not being used during summer.

Sudbury has also reached to other OHL teams and several of them have shown interest in launching a L1O team. 

There was a total of 40 applications but was easily cut to 20. Keem said many lacked the basic structures of club development and sustainability. Of the 20, 6 gave up after being graded and given feedback on their finances, coaching, and marketing. These clubs were only focused on the on-pitch product.

2 were given provisional expansion status for 2025 if they followed recommended changes. 3 needed minor adjustments and 4 were ready to go.

For the existing clubs, there has been clubs whose licenses were considered for revoking for not meeting standards. The league largely funds its ref development from club fines for such things as no scoreboard, subpar change rooms and no physio at the match.

Keem wants the clubs to view their product as sports entertainment rather than just a soccer league. Just posting on social media that they have a game tonight isn't enough.

Great article, highly recommended.  No mention of the OSA anywhere. Are they really so residual as L1 pushes forward?

My post match audio interview with Simcoe County Rovers CEO Peter Raco after their win last night over Scrosoppi FC to win the League1 Ontario Men's Premier Division Championship for 2023. Plans for next year, Canadian Championship etc.

....Attendance was 1150 said L1 Canada president Dino Rossi told me after the game.  

The broadcast was provided by 'M2' an independent company made up of the tech crews of former workers from Rogers and Bell. 

14 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

How about the total crowd?

Is there a way to see the broadcast online?

I think the length of league and number of games has to make L1O attractive for players across the country. BC is too short, and anyways is an addendum to U-Sports or the Whitecaps programs. 

Some of the players in both teams come with CPL or international experience.  Two in particular: Thomas Skublak for Scrosoppi played for HFX Wanderers and Orlendis Benitez-Hernandez was one of the Cuban players who defected the last time they were in Canada for a Nations League games.

Here’s a link for the match, unfortunately, the camera work is a bit iffy.

10 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Some of the players in both teams come with CPL or international experience.  Two in particular: Thomas Skublak for Scrosoppi played for HFX Wanderers and Orlendis Benitez-Hernandez was one of the Cuban players who defected the last time they were in Canada for a Nations League games.

Here’s a link for the match, unfortunately, the camera work is a bit iffy.

Oddd they'd make such a big deal about standards and the product, even boasting about a 3-camera broadcast, then they struggle with the basic presentation. Happens in L1bc as well. 

They shot it into the sun, always a very bad idea, and more so when you have a choice. Better a platform on the other side, even a lower angle, than having to adjust to that glare.

It's done in LD with poor focus and incorrect light balance. It's shitty, in a country that used to be a benchmark for audio visual quality. Don't know the reasons but I think there isn't the awareness of the standard anymore, as someone who teaches design I'm increasingly shocked by visually illiterate students.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

On 8/29/2023 at 1:57 PM, narduch said:

Interesting final.

Scrosoppi is owned by a guy that also owns Vianense in Portugual's 3rd tier.

Simcoe Rovers have all those national team players involved in ownership. I think its Julian De Guzman, Larin, Atiba, Janine Beckie and Doniel Henry.

I was in Viana do Castelo, where Vianense is, last week. Seems like a comfortable and even middle class town, just before the mouth of the Lima river which is very large. Not sure if the town has enough fan base. Not even sure Vianense is clearly the biggest football club in the town.

18 hours ago, Rocket Robin said:
Finally my report with pictures on the League1 Ontario Men's Premier Division Final between Scrosoppi FC and Simcoe County Rovers played at Ontario Soccer Centre in Vaughan.

Thanks again for all your L1O reporting this year!

On 8/30/2023 at 11:49 AM, Kingston said:

A fun article from the CPL highlighting a few of the now more than 200 L1O players who have moved up to pro contracts around the world:

https://canpl.ca/article/5-recent-league1-ontario-standouts-making-a-name-for-themselves-in-the-cpl

With CPL owning L1C, I really think they should push OneSoccer to talk more about player's L1C teams. Not like scores etc, but more like how in the NBA and NFL players are introduced with their college teams alongside their names. They should do it on the CPL website as well of course.

On 9/1/2023 at 4:09 PM, red card said:

From the article:

Beyond that, the L1O has pledge to undertake a major rebranding strategy in two-to-three-year’s time. Presently, League1 Ontario’s pyramid consists of the L1O Premiership (D3), L1O Championship (D4), and L2 Ontario (D5), similar to the English league system.

“Very few like the English naming convention for leagues. It’s just confusing and so we are looking at other options,” said Keem, continuing on to mention that they are simply waiting for the licenses to expire. “These clubs paid to play in League1 Ontario so we can’t just go change it now.”

Amen to that! Sounds like they might even go away from League1 Ontario. My preference would be League 1 Ontario (with a space between League and 1), League 2 Ontario, League 3 Ontario. Cause you know, they are supposed to be the top 3 leagues in Ontario. I've always hated the current English league naming system.

43 minutes ago, Kent said:

With CPL owning L1C, I really think they should push OneSoccer to talk more about player's L1C teams. Not like scores etc, but more like how in the NBA and NFL players are introduced with their college teams alongside their names. They should do it on the CPL website as well of course.

I'm pretty sure at one point One Soccer was supposed to broadcast the occasional League 1 game.

I don't think that ever happened 

3 hours ago, narduch said:

I'm pretty sure at one point One Soccer was supposed to broadcast the occasional League 1 game.

I don't think that ever happened 

Yes, that was mentioned, I think back in year 1, probably before CPL kicked a ball. But failing that, promoting which clubs players graduated from more would be a zero cost way of giving more attention to the league, and slowly over time getting the idea in people's heads that the L1C level of soccer is worth supporting.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another new L2 club: Dutch Connections were founded in 2011 by former footballers Jörg van Nieuwenhuijzen and Andrew Ornoch, who is the club owner, and have more than 900 registered players across their academy age groups.

Joining the club to support the expansion to League2 is Rob Jenkins, who was Manager of Football Operations at Cavalry FC in the Canadian Premier League between 2018 and 2020, and President of L1O’s Electric City for the following two years.