League1 BC 2023

Raven

8 hours ago, Kingston said:

I suspect what will happen is that over time - a few years at most - L1BC will become the obvious top league in BC.  It has the support of the CSA, and is integrated into the Canadian Championship, and will have the attention of the CPL teams and, presumably, the Whitecaps.  The other leagues will still exist, like other leagues to in Ontario and Quebec, but top teams will aspire to enter L1BC.  It will remain amateur, as L1O and the PLSQ are*, but will be the top BC league.

* I realize there is some money involved, especially in the PLSQ, but I think we can all agree these are actually amateur leagues.

I think the goal is for the League 1s to be semi-professional. Every player will need to maintain a day job, but will be paid a relatively decent amount for playing, as well. To get there, attendance will have to increase to beyond just friends and family, and clubs will have to bring in sponsorship money.

On 12/31/2022 at 10:04 PM, Soccerpro2 said:

Question: I've read a lot about why B.C has fallen from the predominant national team-producing (at least MNT) province in the 80's to it's current state. Obvious factors are - year round advantage disappeared due to other provinces adopting to  playing indoors during winter, infighting in soccer in B.C, people looking to make a buck from the game first and foremost etc

What is it going to take for B.C to at least produce the number of national team players that is proportionate to their population?

I've been posting on the V's forum since the 90's. The thing I can't wrap my head around has been the Whitecaps place at the top of the pyramid and the putrid return on their player development side with development centres everywhere. It seems baffling.

Can we ask what name you used to post under, just curious? Thanks.

Objectively, as I mentioned earlier, the women are still being produced in BC. So a lot of demographic and similar barriers given for the men should not be applicable if the women are overcoming them. I am pretty convinced these new changes, and the WC 2026, will have us see a resurgence in BC.

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Can we ask what name you used to post under, just curious? Thanks.

Objectively, as I mentioned earlier, the women are still being produced in BC. So a lot of demographic and similar barriers given for the men should not be applicable if the women are overcoming them. I am pretty convinced these new changes, and the WC 2026, will have us see a resurgence in BC.

I think the difference between the men and the women is that female soccer has been more mainstream for much longer and less dependent on relatively recent immigrant communities.  For men, those that are 3rd or more generation in Canada are generally more inclined to hockey or the other North American sports.  For women, that is not the case as the North American team sports were either not available to them (baseball, Canadian football), not very popular (basketball, until relatively recently) or only availabe in the winter (hockey).  And even with hockey, I am old enough to remember when ringette dominated as women were discourged or even shut out from playing a contact sport like hockey.  

In BC (unlike other parts of Canada), the largest recent immigrant communities (Chinese, Indian (Sikh), Philippino) are not traditional soccer cultures so that leaves those from British, European, etc. ancestories.  And unlike in the 80s, these groups are generally 3rd or more generation so the boys are more inclined to the traditional North American sports rather than soccer as it was not a popular sport when they or their parents were growing up.  Hopefully, with the success of the men's national team, that is changing for the boys who are now growing up and that should be buoyed by the existence of the MLS and CPL.

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

So you think the BC presence has declines on the women's side too?

I think looking at the youth teams there is still more proportionate presence than with the men, but may be wrong.

The decline looks fairly similar:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_FIFA_Women's_World_Cup_squads

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_FIFA_Women's_World_Cup_squads

On 1/5/2023 at 5:19 PM, SthMelbRed said:

I think the goal is for the League 1s to be semi-professional. Every player will need to maintain a day job, but will be paid a relatively decent amount for playing, as well. 

That would be nice, but it will take a long time.  I mean, the CPL is still at the point where bottom end players probably seek gainful offseason employment.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/9/2023 at 5:29 AM, Kingston said:

That would be nice, but it will take a long time.  I mean, the CPL is still at the point where bottom end players probably seek gainful offseason employment.

The highest earning players in the world seek additional revenue/employment at every opportunity

7 hours ago, Aird25 said:

The highest earning players in the world seek additional revenue/employment at every opportunity

True, but there's a big difference between "hey, I could make an extra couple of million with this endorsement deal" and "hey, I need to make an extra $10 k this winter to make sure I have rent money for the year".

10 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Great logo. And this feels like a much better attempt to integrate in to the community than the very generic "Varsity FC" (which I assume Peter Schaad came up with).

"Formally" ?   Not good.  Who reviewed that video?

But yes, a nice logo and good luck to the team.

8 hours ago, Kingston said:

True, but there's a big difference between "hey, I could make an extra couple of million with this endorsement deal" and "hey, I need to make an extra $10 k this winter to make sure I have rent money for the year".

I thought rent and food was usually included or subsidized. Are many actually struggling to make ends meet? Players I know usually travel or visit family in the offseason. I can't say I've run into anyone working a night job

14 hours ago, Aird25 said:

I thought rent and food was usually included or subsidized. Are many actually struggling to make ends meet? Players I know usually travel or visit family in the offseason. I can't say I've run into anyone working a night job

I don't know the specific circumstances of any of the players.  They just increased the minimum wage to $30 k, meaning it is just now equivalent to a full time minimum wage job.  There's a lot in the news about how difficult it is to live on minimum wage so I assume that would apply to soccer players as much as it does to cashiers.

• 4 weeks later...

Were there any League 1 BC players that moved up after last season? 

I find it incredibly disappointing that Pacific haven't signed a BC player since 2020. They started off giving so many BC kids opportunities now those opportunities seem to have dried up. 

1 hour ago, Aird25 said:

Were there any League 1 BC players that moved up after last season? 

I find it incredibly disappointing that Pacific haven't signed a BC player since 2020. They started off giving so many BC kids opportunities now those opportunities seem to have dried up. 

Escobar was signed by HFX from TSS Rovers, he didn't play and is not on the roster this year.

1 hour ago, Aird25 said:

For the record, for all the flack the Whitecaps get about "not playing Canadians" and "the Bilbao of Canada", you're seeing the problem now. BC just isn't producing players right now, and it's bloody embarrassing. 

56 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

For the record, for all the flack the Whitecaps get about "not playing Canadians" and "the Bilbao of Canada", you're seeing the problem now. BC just isn't producing players right now, and it's bloody embarrassing. 

We do seem to be a long ways from where we should be in terms of developing players these days, but to be fair, there are BC players on most CPL teams too. Not as many as you might expect, but there are CPL level players from BC, but we've let them all leave the club and haven't looked to sign or promote any others in a very long time

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...