League1 BC 2023

Raven

1 minute ago, Bison44 said:

I know there was a freak over TSS being on the hook for the 35k travel expenses, but isnt this part of the upside??  They can draw a big crowd, get a lot of that money back and get exposure, notoriety and maybe knock off a CPL side??  

There is an upside, but it's also a financial gamble. TSS probably can absorb the risk, but it also highlights a problem with the competition. I don't think any other L1BC team could do it right now.

6 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

I know there was a freak over TSS being on the hook for the 35k travel expenses, but isnt this part of the upside??  They can draw a big crowd, get a lot of that money back and get exposure, notoriety and maybe knock off a CPL side??  

Other D3 teams have drawn over 1000 for match ups like this, so it would not seem impossible.

I'd love to see them knock off a CPL team.  Nothing against Valour or for TSS - it's just never happened before.

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

There is an upside, but it's also a financial gamble. TSS probably can absorb the risk, but it also highlights a problem with the competition. I don't think any other L1BC team could do it right now.

Thats what I mean, there was a reason they said yes to hosting eh? It wasnt a death sentence forced on the club.  They could have let the other guy host it, get an expense paid trip to WPG but they chose this route because there are upsides to it.    

29 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Thats what I mean, there was a reason they said yes to hosting eh? It wasnt a death sentence forced on the club.  They could have let the other guy host it, get an expense paid trip to WPG but they chose this route because there are upsides to it.    

Yes, but those upsides could be applied to any L1 club. Unfortunately, a lot can't afford it and thus miss out on the benefits. And that's what the debate has been about. If you're trying to grow the game in Canada, forcing a large bill on to smaller clubs or having them forfeit the benefit maybe isn't the way to go about it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Over halfway through the season, I am not watching but have been looking. Here's an update. 

https://www.bcsoccer.net/competitions/standings/?competition=League1+BC+(M)

TSS Rovers doing well and keeping the level that saw them get through the Voyageurs Cup round. With them, Victoria Highlanders are competiting alongside them. Not sure what the basis of the Highlanders roster is, whether they are competitive because players are thinking it's a step to Pacific FC. I understood that last year they were not affiliated with the University of Vic team, is that the same this season?

On the other end of the table Altitude is struggling. That is a bit odd since they looked sharp vs. Vancouver FC in preseason. At this level it may have to do with how easy it is to put together a roster, and being a short season, how little time you have to adjust. New team Harbourside in Nanaimo is also struggling, but that is not as much a concern first year. 

Then, after the UBC team was strong last season, they are not as much this year. I suppose this could have to do with university sides rotating a lot, same with Rivers which was a similar roster to the national U-sports champs Thomson Rivers U last season.

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Over halfway through the season, I am not watching but have been looking. Here's an update. 

https://www.bcsoccer.net/competitions/standings/?competition=League1+BC+(M)

TSS Rovers doing well and keeping the level that saw them get through the Voyageurs Cup round. With them, Victoria Highlanders are competiting alongside them. Not sure what the basis of the Highlanders roster is, whether they are competitive because players are thinking it's a step to Pacific FC. I understood that last year they were not affiliated with the University of Vic team, is that the same this season?

On the other end of the table Altitude is struggling. That is a bit odd since they looked sharp vs. Vancouver FC in preseason. At this level it may have to do with how easy it is to put together a roster, and being a short season, how little time you have to adjust. New team Harbourside in Nanaimo is also struggling, but that is not as much a concern first year. 

Then, after the UBC team was strong last season, they are not as much this year. I suppose this could have to do with university sides rotating a lot, same with Rivers which was a similar roster to the national U-sports champs Thomson Rivers U last season.

I do not know how much of a factor "home and away" is in L1, but TSS now finishes the season with 5 straight on the road (awangard unavailable this summer as it undergoes some repairs/maintenance).

7 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I do not know how much of a factor "home and away" is in L1, but TSS now finishes the season with 5 straight on the road (awangard unavailable this summer as it undergoes some repairs/maintenance).

Yes, think I saw that. So a question: where do they propose to play the final match? Will Swangard be ready that last week of July early August?

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Wow, that is a big venue to host that event. I'll guess maybe 1000.

There were over 1000 in attendance last year at Swangard, so I think it'll surpass that. But you are right that it won't be a lot, maybe get to 2500?

I was asking about playoff format: it's either TSS or Highlanders hosting the number 3 (Whitecaps) and four (Unity) teams, next weekend. Winners go to BC Place.

Men's winner at BC Place goes to the Voyageurs Cup. A Highlanders-Pacific match next spring would be amazing as well. I am not sure a Whitecaps academy team could legally qualify, but the idea of a university team playing Voyageurs Cup is also rather unique.

The top Women's teams are Whitecaps academy and the UBC's Nautsa'mawt FC. Unfortunately, the UBC and Whitecaps teams have some of the weakest potential followings, the conventional clubs have bigger potential draws, as their club members and youth would come out. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

8 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Men's winner at BC Place goes to the Voyageurs Cup. A Highlanders-Pacific match next spring would be amazing as well. I am not sure a Whitecaps academy team could legally qualify, but the idea of a university team playing Voyageurs Cup is also rather unique. 

Not this year.  This year, regular season winner goes to the Voyageurs Cup. Comes down to the game this weekend between TSS and Highlanders.  TSS needs a win or a draw, Highlanders need to win.

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

Swangard is under construction and unavailable.

So that is why TSS had that schedule mostly at home at the start and now all on the road, didn't know that. 

Just took a look and am a bit shocked, Whitecaps Next Pro played their last two games, at home, at BC Place. Had no idea. Is that right?

So there's a precedent for these lower league games there and I had no idea.

7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Just took a look and am a bit shocked, Whitecaps Next Pro played their last two games, at home, at BC Place. Had no idea. Is that right?

So there's a precedent for these lower league games there and I had no idea.

That is also correct. Last was a bit of a double header, as the senior team played in the evening.

Don't think the lower league games have ever really played there. Again, it's because Swangard is under construction.