League1 BC 2023

Raven

On 7/21/2023 at 4:11 PM, nolando said:

Another missed opportunity. Should be at LEC, Swangard or Starlight imo. Even 15,000 at BC Place feels a little dull and depressing most matches.

Got an interesting text from a friend/Rovers supporter today. Apparently L1 wanted to hold games at LEC (possibly the Rovers "home" game while Swangard is under consideration and definitely the L1 final) and VFC blocked it. Not sure why, though I'd heard a month or so ago that the LEC would likely host the final and was quite surprised when BC Place was named.

27 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Got an interesting text from a friend/Rovers supporter today. Apparently L1 wanted to hold games at LEC (possibly the Rovers "home" game while Swangard is under consideration and definitely the L1 final) and VFC blocked it. Not sure why, though I'd heard a month or so ago that the LEC would likely host the final and was quite surprised when BC Place was named.

VWFC blocked it?

On 7/25/2023 at 10:08 PM, Watchmen said:

As mentioned, it would not make a lot of sense if it is demonstrated that there is no VFC issue with League One. VFC are away this weekend and home on Sunday the 6th. The L1 final at BC Place is scheduled for the 5th, midday Saturday.

Then, as for the Swangard renovations, the schedule already anticipated them and had TSS play more at home early and away later in the season. It did not affect any games.

In fact, the issue would only affect a single game, the semi final which goes tomorrow, which TSS is home for (as are the Highlanders to Unity at Centennial at UVic). The semi is going to be played at Ken Woods North out at UBC; in spite of upgrades insisted upon by L1BC, there are virtually no decent stands out there: a small new covered stand, and a few small uncovered ones, like expanded picnic table size.

So TSS can't get any significant % of its supporters out, which is a shame; they surely would have gotten a few hundred out to Langley (they are selling tix though, at 5$, a double header as the women play earlier). But why not at least play at a field with more stands at UBC, like Thunderbird?

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

As mentioned, it would not make a lot of sense if it is demonstrated that there is no VFC issue with League One. VFC are away this weekend and home on Sunday the 6th. The L1 final at BC Place is scheduled for the 5th, midday Saturday.

Yes, it was the final that L1BC had been originally attempting to schedule in Langley, and VFC apparently blocked it.

Just now, Watchmen said:

Yes, it was the final that L1BC had been originally attempting to schedule in Langley, and VFC apparently blocked it.

Odd they'd throw away the opportunity, and Langley Events Centre the revenue from concessions, possible modest rental. There's even a L1 team in the Valley in semis.

8 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Odd they'd throw away the opportunity, and Langley Events Centre the revenue from concessions, possible modest rental. There's even a L1 team in the Valley in semis.

The food trucks at the LEC are provided by VFC, so I do not believe the LEC would be missing out on any direct concession revenue. However, I think it's odd that VFC wouldn't want the opportunity to get new fans out to the LEC to experience it. 

Edited by Watchmen

Just now, Watchmen said:

The food trucks at the LEC are provided by VFC, so I do not believe the LEC would be missing out on any direct concession revenue. However, I think it's odd that VFC wouldn't want the opportunity to get new fans out to the LEC to experience it. 

The staff at concessions inside the stadium wear Langley Event Centre uniforms, so that's part of concessions. A city administration should be thinking about maximizing use of (semi?) public facilities.

Your point about getting fans out to know the stadium makes sense, once you're there you see it's easy to get to, there's free parking.

59 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

...However, I think it's odd that VFC wouldn't want the opportunity to get new fans out to the LEC to experience it. 

Maybe they view L1BC as a potential competitor for paying spectators. A bit like how the Whitecaps were probably not completely thrilled about having a second pro soccer club with Vancouver branding arrive upon the scene.

2 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Maybe they view L1BC as a potential competitor for paying spectators. A bit like how the Whitecaps were probably not completely thrilled about having a second pro soccer club with Vancouver branding arrive upon the scene.

The Vancouver branding is apparently proving to be a bit of a problem for VFC. Google "Vancouver FC" and the search frequently returns a lot of Whitecaps links. The Whitecaps had so much of the SEO already locked down that VFC is having difficulties with it.

Edited by Watchmen

56 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

The Vancouver branding is apparently proving to be a bit of a problem for VFC. Google "Vancouver FC" and the search frequently returns a lot of Whitecaps links. The Whitecaps had so much of the SEO already locked down that VFC is having difficulties with it.

Agree, has happened to me a lot. Has not been helped by a modest social media presence, and then a bit weak on press support so far, I think there is a gap to be filled still by local press, radio, vloggers.

They haven't helped themselves with the logo and branding of merchandise, which I find flat and uninspiring. It does not stand out. For me that's odd considering how well Pacific worked. I suspect Friend has no understanding of such things.

One set shirts with a strong black background, red trim, and Vancouver FC blazing big, is that so hard?

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

This doesn't surprise me.  I had a similar experience when I tried to advertise my Toronto maple leaf fall cleanup service.

Edited by Kingston

18 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Agree, has happened to me a lot. Has not been helped by a modest social media presence, and then a bit weak on press support so far, I think there is a gap to be filled still by local press, radio, vloggers.

The local radio guys who do cover soccer say it's difficult, because the Whitecaps have been so poor for so long it killed interest. They do still talk about them. They actually did have Friend on as well before the start of the CPL season to talk about the new team, but that's been about it. AFTN has been pretty open that any time they do a CPL podcast, the numbers are poor and there's no real interest. They do still cover VFC, but you can tell it's an uphill battle.

22 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

They haven't helped themselves with the logo and branding of merchandise, which I find flat and uninspiring. It does not stand out. For me that's odd considering how well Pacific worked. I suspect Friend has no understanding of such things.

Peter Schaad and friends did the Pacific work, I believe, and Friend seems like he was unhappy with how it turned out (or at least the name).

I have found the "Welcome to the Dark Side" Star Wars theme by the club and supporters group to be a bit odd, as it implies that the Whitecaps and the good guys/plucky underdog/rebels. 

Just now, Watchmen said:

The local radio guys who do cover soccer say it's difficult, because the Whitecaps have been so poor for so long it killed interest. They do still talk about them. They actually did have Friend on as well before the start of the CPL season to talk about the new team, but that's been about it. AFTN has been pretty open that any time they do a CPL podcast, the numbers are poor and there's no real interest. They do still cover VFC, but you can tell it's an uphill battle.

Peter Schaad and friends did the Pacific work, I believe, and Friend seems like he was unhappy with how it turned out (or at least the name).

I have found the "Welcome to the Dark Side" Star Wars theme by the club and supporters group to be a bit odd, as it implies that the Whitecaps and the good guys/plucky underdog/rebels. 

It's also terrible cliche about blackness that you'd have thought was worked out socially, culturally and academically about 40 years ago. However much a fun ironical take.

Apart from it being brighter and more southern in the Fraser Valley.

It's clear that it wasn't thought through. But a black ground for a jersey can have tons of possibilities and there are great precedents.

I'm at the semi Highlanders vs Unity at Centennial in Victoria. Maybe 350 fans here.

Missed the early Victoria goal, Unity tied, Highlanders went up late 1st half. Fairly even, seems the locals just let the rival get back in easily.

Players are mostly young. I only recognize Unity striker Victory Shumbusho who Pacific FC drafted a few years ago out of UBC.

14 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Highlanders play Whitecaps who rolled over TSS 4-0 yesterday, final at BC Place next Saturday. Not having TSS means it won't be as well attended.

Maybe, but I sort of hope the L1 final becomes a viewing event for ALL L1 fans/groups. 

Just now, Watchmen said:

Maybe, but I sort of hope the L1 final becomes a viewing event for ALL L1 fans/groups. 

I agree, but wondering, did you go to the final last year? I was lucky enough to,  it was really a great experience. Because TSS gets their fans out in droves, they really support the club. They have great merchandising. They lit the place up.

L1BC has this problem: university affiliated teams, from UBC, Thomson Rivers, I think Unity is affiliated with Trinity Western; Whitecaps 3rd team, the team in Nanaimo is a new club basically. The Highlanders are an institution and have an affiliated club I think, Bay, but don't have the kids in the shirts. The only true clubs are Altitude, which is sort of new as well, and TSS. Which is not a really old club in the Lower Mainland. 

L1Ontario and Québec are dominated by the clubs, or clubs going into cahoots with other clubs, so they actually have core fanbases. I am sure I have erred in some data on this though, set me right.

4 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I agree, but wondering, did you go to the final last year? I was lucky enough to,  it was really a great experience.

I did, and it was a good event. I also went to the TSS vs Valour game, and it was similar. For that game, I noticed a group of Altitude fans (with scarves) their. This is what gives me the thought that maybe the Cup Final becomes a bit of an event for all L1 fans. Granted it's harder for the Highlanders/Harbour fans, but I would hope that maybe TSS encourages their fans to still go out. A strong attendance for it benefits everyone.

I also get the feeling that TSS (while wanting to defend the title) was still a bit deflated from the game last week, in part because the Voyageurs Cup berth was awarded for the season and not the Cup. Not a judgment on which is better, simply that it took something away from this year's Cup (even though last year it was not announced until later that the Cup winner would get the spot).