Match Thread: April 7, 2022 - York United v HFX Wanderers

2 hours ago, Watchmen said:

That stadium...does not look full. For your league opener. Rough.

I was getting a sense that there wouldn't be many fans. I got so many emails promoting that there are still tickets for the home opener. Then eventually I got an email about a sale on home opener tickets.

I want to go to several games, but I also have to not upset my wife and kids too much, so I'll have to limit the number of games I go to, and I'd rather save those opportunities for when it's warmer after going to the cold Canada games.

On 4/6/2022 at 10:59 AM, narduch said:

I'm a bit worried that the CanMNT may have sucked some energy away from the domestic game.

On the contrary, it's probably the reason TFC's attendance has seen a bump from how dreadful it was last year. Why would the CanMNT suck "energy away" from the domestic game? I went to the game today and the stadium started to fill in as the game went on. Probably the best crowd I have seen since the Montreal game from 2019. 

I watched most of the match and found it quite entertaining, it did get a little sloppy at times especially as the match progressed but that is typical of many season openers in any league! I am so glad to see the league start up again after a decent pre season this time and I look forward to a season that may be more balanced than the first 3, I like the York kit btw!

6 hours ago, Macksam said:

On the contrary, it's probably the reason TFC's attendance has seen a bump from how dreadful it was last year. Why would the CanMNT suck "energy away" from the domestic game? I went to the game today and the stadium started to fill in as the game went on. Probably the best crowd I have seen since the Montreal game from 2019. 

That's great to hear that the atmosphere for the York match was solid. I'm admittedly concerned that they couldn't crack 2,000 for their home-opener (1,802 according to the CPL website), but hopefully that's just a reflection of it being a bit brisk yet for some folks. 

https://canpl.ca/matchcentre/7snp2xnuij3sfcod749flhes4/highlights

Out of curiosity, what's the seating capacoty for the York grand stand? 

7 hours ago, Macksam said:

Maybe I'm being harsh but I'm not impressed by TFC getting 21k in a 30k stadium. 

Vancouver only had about 16k at their last home game too.

I get that covid may still be a factor. 

10 minutes ago, narduch said:

Maybe I'm being harsh but I'm not impressed by TFC getting 21k in a 30k stadium. 

Vancouver only had about 16k at their last home game too.

I get that covid may still be a factor. 

21k for TFC is not bad considering how they did last year. Plus the Leafs and Raptors are doing well so alot of attention is on them right now. I am a bit surprised at Vancouvers attendance considering they only have to compete with the Cunucks, and they are not even in a playoff position.